Gentle Giant "Three Piece Suite" — Steven Wilson Mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JediJoker, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Gerry Bron helped give the guys a push, huh? That's interesting. I take it these transitional songs that Derek was talking about, along with Freedom's Child - Bringing Me Down, City Hermit and Weekend Cowboy - it would be nice to hear those too eventually. Fingers crossed, the 'fully remixed' debut will be brought to us, all thanks to Mr. Bornemark's involvement - and perhaps those songs will be included as well. :)

Dok likes this.
  2. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I'm a little disappointed in this release.

I think the songs come together to make a really strong album in lieu of the fact that we're missing a good chunk of the first three albums. I think Steven did a great job on the mix and EQ.

My disappointment comes from the fact that I've grown to trust that, when I'm purchasing a Steven Wilson remix, there is no "lookahead"/"brick walled" "maximized" digital limiting. Maybe there's been a few (The Steve Hackett's?), but, for the most part, they've been a real joy to the ear. I have 42 of the 45 remixes that I know about (46 if you count the upcoming Farewell To Kings).

I could be proven wrong, but, it sounds like the CD and DTS layer are using modern style lookahead limiting. I have not listened to the LPCM layers yet. It's evident on the sound of the attacks of each of the instruments (which, I know, wows people about clarity (Every instrument shouldn't be clear. You need softer/duller sounds to accentuate the ones that should be clear.) - most noticeable in the kick and bass) and, unfortunately, I had the volume up and I started to feel the familiar uncomfortable feeling and I had to start turning it down. It kind of ruins your ears for a little while afterwards. I was not expecting it on this release. It's at least a huge part of why I buy SW remixes.

I don't see any mastering engineer listed. I know he uses the stuff on his own personal releases, but, I thought I was safe. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come. Other than that, it's a great album.

darn.

3. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Finally got to check out the Flat Transfers, and I'm really happy with Acquiring the Taste so far. Putting them together with the remixes has worked well so far - looking forward to playing them together with the other two albums.

4. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

My copy arrived from the UK to Melbourne on Wednesday morning, but frustratingly it won't be delivered until Monday (or later!), so I've not heard this yet.

The DR database says that the Three Piece Suite is only DR10 on the CD. I'm VERY MUCH hoping that the 5.1 on the blu ray has much better dynamics than this.

5. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I've uploaded the DR values for the CD, and for two of the stereo flat transfers, but didn't have time to rip the surround tracks... I can say they sound great to my ears. I'm sure you won't be disappointed :)
    The flat transfers are also quite good. I've compared Acquiring the taste, to my 90s Cd made in Germany. They are quite similar. The CD has more hiss and is a bit more punchy maybe.

MichaelCPE likes this.
  6. Joseph LeVie

I don’t go by DR numbers, but, maybe that’s an average. On the louder parts, I noticed RMS VU getting up into the -5dB range on both the CD and DTS.

7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Just listened to the first album. I think it's a great debut coming from 1970, full of energy, interplay and exploration and the sound is fantastic. Did they ever get any rawer then 'Why Not?' (No one need mention 'Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It'!) :winkgrin:

Isaac McHelicopter likes this.
  8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

A Tribe Called Quest sampled Prologue on the song Mobius from their latest album "We Got It From Here.... Thank You For Your Service"

9. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

Just listened to it on Spotify. It would be nice to say that it's great to hear Giant's music in a modern context... but it's not. What a horrible racket. Maybe I'm just too old. :)

10. Joseph LeVie

Maybe not so old. Tribe Called Quest has been overall a very easy to listen to rap/hip hop act, but, that last album is a mess.

Isaac McHelicopter likes this.
  11. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I want to know where I can get one of those Acquiring the Taste chairs.

13. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Booklet said the furniture was supplied by Ray Shulman. You would have to ask him. :winkgrin:

14. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

wow man! there's something familiar here that's almost me! I gotta see agin...

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Here are the DR values for the 5.1:

16. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

That album cover would make a great armchair!
    Let me propose a new design though: think about sitting on the peach and resting your back on the tongue :laugh:

17. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

Thanks for posting the 5.1 DR values Plan9.

I've received my disc but not yet got around to playing it. The figures are very pleasing and I'm pretty certain I will be delighted when I first hear it.

Plan9 likes this.
  18. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Didn't know they released the cd version. I just wish it included the extra goodies that the Blu Ray has.

19. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

I've just played the flat original masters of all three albums.

The quality was amazing, but I felt an 'old style' remasterer - such as our host - could have made a few improvements. What an indictment of this profession and the industry that the best we can get these days is a flat copy!

I had not heard the studio recordings for many years. I loved the first and third, but found Acquiring the Taste far less enjoyable. Perhaps a few more listens will change my view.

I like to have the TV screen on to see track titles and timing. I found that the revolving covers a distraction, and I think in the future I'll probably turn the screen off.

I plan to listen to the original stereo masters a few more times before moving up to the Wilson remix.

alx7 and mozz like this.
  20. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Wow. Different strokes and all but if I had to pick absolutely one album (which I wouldn't ;-) it would be AtT. Their most evocative IMO. I've also read where it was Ray's favorite FWIW.

albertop and Plan9 like this.
  21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

For me too AtT is the best of their early albums.

22. It's certainty their most adventurous. For me about half the songs work well and are among my favorites in their entire catalog (Patagruel's Nativity, Edge of Twilight, Black Cat), the others take some time to really sink in. This is one of those albums that takes some repeated listening to appreciate. The production may be the best of their entire catalog.

Plan9 and Dok like this.
  23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Me too.

24. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I think Acquiring The Taste is their best album.

Dok likes this.
  25. I'm still not sure I get the mass appeal of flat masters. These first 3 albums are all available in non-maximized or overly compressed versions that sound good and are easily available. Who prefers a flat master over others that have been "sweetened" but not ruined with no-noise or excessive EQ or compression?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.