George Carlin Commemorative Collection Announced For June 12, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Man, what would he say now about politics. Have all his lps . A family staple in my home.
    I played his Class Clown, Wally Longo, Toledo Window Box for my parents back around 1975 and they both almost laughed themselves into heart attacks.
    Amazing he was! Ill buy this collection. John M.

Myke likes this.
  2. townsend

townsend Senior Member

He already said stuff about the politics of today . . . some of his dialogues were right on the money, though uttered years ago:

Spadeygrove, apesfan and greelywinger like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

@dlokazip - Was there an outer box for All My Stuff ? This new set (outer box, plastic trays within) made me wonder about this, for the first time in the 10 years since I bought it.
    Can't remember if it was bought used, and Amazon's not going back 10 years in the database.
    Asking mainly for resale purposes, should I decide to.
    Missing parts makes the decision for me.:(

4. Myke

Switching gears, I love the first special, in 1977. HBO warns us about the language at the top, then freezes the picture in the last few minutes, and places an onscreen warning again about the language !!!
    HBO !!! :laugh:

God that makes me feel old. In 1977, I had been out of school for a year, and had just gotten my first apartment.

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

No outer box.

It is a spiral fold design. Basically, one long piece of cardboard that they stick plastic trays to and rolled up. In terms of DVD packaging, it's one of the worst that I own.

Myke likes this.
  6. Myke

Thank you. So if I do decide to sell it, and McKay's gives me grief, I can argue that while not looking complete, it is !!!
    Thinking I may keep it for the next-to-the-last disc which was exclusive to the set.

7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

If it's got all 14 discs, yup. (12 specials plus "George On George" and "Unmasked" XM interview.)

8. Myke

Yes, everything but "Unmasked" is in this new set. George Carlin - All My Stuff

9. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Absolutely. I watch that one about once a year with the rest of my Carlin collection.

10. Myke

Also never realized how much material he repeats in the second special, that was used in the first one. Still love him though.
    90 minutes is a lot to fill all by yourself.

11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Has anyone watched Carlin At Carnegie on the new set? Is it edited more like the original special or is it still chopped up like the All My Stuff DVD?

12. Myke

It'll likely be the same as it's still MPI Video, and doubtful they'd spend any extra cash on it.
    It's coming up next here ( finished Disc One yesterday ), but my All My Stuff is buried behind a lot of other DVDs in a cabinet that's hard to get to.
    Can you cite anything that will jump out at me, so I can give you an answer ?

13. Myke

Just saw / heard that. So, it's there. :agree: :laugh:

nosticker likes this.
  14. Myke

There were mistakes in my original post. That was a copy & paste from Blu ray.com Here are my corrected listings, as submitted to Discogs :

The HBO Specials
    1-1 On Location With George Carlin (1977)
    1-2 George Carlin Again ! (1978)
    2-1 Carlin At Carnegie (1982)
    2-2 Carlin On Campus (1984)
    2-3 Playin' With Your Head (1986)
    3-1 What Am I Doing In New Jersey ? (1988)
    3-2 Doin' It Again (1990)
    3-3 Jammin' In New York (1992)
    4-1 Back In Town (1996)
    4-2 George Carlin: 40 Years Of Comedy (1997)
    4-3 You Are All Diseased (1999)
    5-1 Complaints And Greivances (2001)
    5-2 Life Is Worth Losing (2005)
    5-3 It's Bad For Ya (2007)

Bonus: George Carlin Appearances From:
    6-1 CBS Talent Scouts (1963)
    6-2 The Hollywood Palace (October 8,1966)
    6-3 The Hollywood Palace (December 10,1966)
    6-4 The Jackie Gleason Show (January 25, 1969)
    6-5 The Real George Carlin (1973)
    6-6 APT 2C (1985)
    6-7 George Carlin Personal Favorites

I will continue this, as I watch. :tiphat:

DaveySR likes this.
  15. Myke

Okay, I feel I need to warn (?) inform other Carlin fans...

See that Personal Favorites at the end of Disc 6 ? This is repeats of what you've seen earlier. A compilation.

Disc 7 - George Carlin Appearance from The Comedy Store (1999) is George memorizing, and trying out every word he will say on the You Are All Diseased HBO special.

After that, it's " George’s Best Stuff " - you guessed it, the third or fourth time you see and hear what you've already seen and heard before in this set.

16. Myke

Disc 8 -
    George On George, repeated from All My Stuff, helped me decide I can sell All My Stuff , since everything I heard on the only thing making me hang onto it was Unmasked, which is pretty much repeated in George On George. So it goes when you tell your life story, and you're telling the truth.

George Carlin Appearance from Comedy Magic Club (2006)
    George working out his material for the upcoming It's Bad For Ya. Thankfully, it includes some material not heard elsewhere.

George Carlin: Too Hip for the Room - 30 min.edit from a 3 hour interview ?!?!

Disc 9 is the CD of I Kinda Like it When a Lotta People Die

Disc 10 is the BD of Life Is Worth Losing + It's Bad For Ya

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

It just so happens that my local library got a few copies of this box. So, I checked it out.

There is a lot to like about this box, but I do have several gripes about it.

As far as the content itself, the box is clearly a bargain. For what you get, you can't beat the price.

On the other hand, the HBO specials have not been remastered at all. They are the exact same versions that were released on previous DVDs. They have just been consolidated onto fewer discs. In fact, when you click on a special on the main menu of a disc, it takes you the exact same menu that was the main menu on the corresponding All My Stuff disc, with a "back" selection added.

So, if you already have All My Stuff, The George Carlin Collection, Completely Carlin, or any of the individual discs, these are the exact same programs. It's Bad For Ya looks the same, too, although they moved the bonus features to the bonus discs.

George Carlin: 40 Years Of Comedy appears for the first time, AFAIK. It's considerably better than I remember. It has a few exclusive clips, a short performance of new material that was repeated on You Are All Diseased, and a nice interview segment with Jon Stewart. Recommended.

Now, for the bonus stuff...

Of the TV clips from the 60's (six minutes each), CBS Talent Scouts is the most interesting. This black-and-white clip has him doing dead on impressions of Jackie Leonard, Mort Sahl, and, most surprisingly, John F. Kennedy. On The Hollywood Palace clips, he does "The Indian Sergeant" and "Wonderful WINO" respectively. The clip from The Jackie Gleason Show was pretty original, but it was previously released on the It's Bad For Ya DVD.

The Real George Carlin is George doing mainly his Occupation: Foole material, cleaned up for network television. It's broken up by musical performance from Kris Kristofferson (joined by Rita Coolidge) and B.B. King. It's nice to see something from this period in his career.

APT 2C is an HBO pilot that doesn't really work, IMO. George doesn't really find a rhythm here. Blake Clark and Lucy Webb are pretty funny. Bobcat Goldthwait basically does a short set of material that appeared on Meat Bob. Kelly Carlin plays a punky, foul-mouthed girl scout. "Interview With Jesus" from A Place For My Stuff is recreated as something George is watching on TV, so that's interesting. If all of this sounds rather disjointed, then you get the idea. I think the reason it doesn't work is because George comes off as rather bland.

Again, Personal Favorites is the same as from The George Carlin Collection. George's Best Stuff is from Completely Carlin. (Both are available individually, as well.) Both programs contain "A Place For My Stuff" from Comic Relief, so that is sort of unique, but the Carlin On Campus version is probably fine for most. Although Personal Favorites is shorter, it does have an original, if inessential, intro by George.

Got no use for The Comedy Store performance. I'll watch You Are All Diseased.

I really like Unmasked. I don't know why it was omitted.

Which makes this better than The Comedy Store. I can take or leave it, but it least it has some unique material.

Previously released on It's Bad For Ya. Good program, though.

I think it was a good idea to include this. It's really a disc of outtakes and interviews. It's not really worth buying as a stand alone.

I guess this is a "nice to have" item considering that these were the only two specials released on Blu-ray in HD, but I don't really get much out of it, either in picture or sound. The DVD is fine.

-----------------

I can't rule out getting this box in the future, but for now, I'll pass. When it comes right down to it, I really only want Disc 6 and "40 Years Of Comedy" from Disc 4. I kind of wish this stuff gets released separately, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have no use for Disc 7 and little use for Disc 8. The contents of the CD are on Spotify. I don't really need the Blu-ray.

I'll just stick to All My Stuff and It's Bad For Ya for the time being.

EVOLVIST and MRamble like this.
  18. Here is an oldie but a goodie. I've seen this early routine before, but not on the Jimmy Dean show.

budwhite and JamieC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.