George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

I hope the picture discs actually play all the B-sides...
    What other function could they serve?

2. They serve the same function as the originals. Decorative collector items.

I do agree with everyone else that there should have been an orphan LP instead. But the set does look extremely well done

Wingsfan2012, e.s. and Kwai Chang like this.
  3. Kwai Chang

Kwai Chang Forum Resident

I wanted Dhani to deliver a perfect item...
    it still is!
    Thanks, Mazzy for helping us get here.
    Perhaps a Shanghai'd Hits/Lumberjack Cuts album is in the works!
    Thanks!

longdist01 likes this.
  4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

If there had been a "Past Masters" type of LP, or god forbid a new set of outtakes, I would have bought one. Would have been financially painful, but I would have found a way. In a way, I give Olivia credit for NOT doing that and forcing such hard decisions ... but I'd rather have new music MORE....

5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Just wondering out loud here after watching one of the unboxing videos that showed the picture discs... so the actual album vinyl are packaged in separate static-free sleeves, with copies of the original sleeves included for authentic reproductions. The picture discs looked to be stuck into those same clear plastic sleeves that other threads here say leach into, and ruin vinyl they contact, and also are in close proximity to. Are these indeed in those dangerous sleeves, and would need to be removed and stored in something else? If so, forget authentic reproducing in those two cases, couldn't something more archival have been used to put those in?

I'm not buying this set, gorgeous as it is, since I have all of the original vinyl. But I thought that was worth mentioning for the people who are buying this, and maybe aren't aware of that potential problem (depending what actual type of sleeve those two are in the box).

Kwai Chang and mrjinks like this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

So is it the "shorter" Unconsciousness Rules ('81 LP & original cd issue) or the "longer" one ('80-unreleased LP & current cd issue)?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Kwai Chang likes this.
  7. mrjinks

Those PVC sleeves unquestionably do damage. Check out my recent post here:
    Warning to all record collectors!!! (outer bag/inner sleeve concerns)*

Kwai Chang likes this.
  8. I've heard that about those sleeves however I have the originals in the same type of sleeves since they came out. So 25 plus years ? Mine are stil perfect.

e.s. likes this.
  9. mrjinks

I hope you looked at my Twin Freaks PVC pic above!

10. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Just listened to "All Things Must Pass" from the new set and, much as I hate to say it, (and this is my own opinion from having the following sets on LP and just having A/B'd all of them in a blind listening test) on a system using the McIntosh MT-10 turntable/Marantz 7C (reissue from the 1990's)/Marantz 9 (reissues from the 1990's)/FMI "J" loudspeakers (from the 1970's)....

Original U.S. issue in mint condition...
    Original U.K. issue in mint condition...
    The Original Japanese issue in mint condition...
    The 40th Anniversary issue in new condition (I bought several of these)...
    The One with the Color picture on the front...
    This new one...

The winner on "I'd Have You Anytime", "What Is Life", "Apple Scruffs", "Beware Of Darkness", and "The Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp" between all of them is....

The 40th Anniversary issue......

Why?
    Richness of the orchestrations... Separation of instruments in the Phil Spector "mess of orchestrations" (the new set is kind of a blar-ry mess and in contrast, the 40th Anniversary lets you hear everything in a rich mixture)...

For everyday listening....

The 40th Anniversary issue 24 bit free digital download that was included with the purchase of the 40th Anniversary LP set...

And so it begs the question...

Why didn't they just re-press the 40th Anniversary LP's?????????

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Naughty Chord likes this.
  11. kavie87

kavie87 Forum Resident

Not often in Australia do I, if ever have I received items on the day they come out when ordering from overseas. Such a nice set. Had hand me downs of the albums from my father but great to have the collection that I've bought of my own!

12. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

$337 w/ shipping at CC Music.

Tempted.

13. kavie87

kavie87 Forum Resident

That's who I bought through. Extremely happy!

14. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Oh cool. Same padded box we see in the unboxing videos?

15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Thanks! I was on the fence of buying ATMP and I have a 40th anniversary copy and love it. I will hold off on impulse buying of ATMP.

I listened to Brainwashed and way better than the CD. First time hearing Brainwashed on vinyl and now have it. Packaging pressing is top notch!!! 33 1/3 is next up this weekend.

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Question for anyone with a new copy of Electronic Sound:

Is Bernie Krause's name silvered-over on the cover, but still legible if you look real close (as it was on the original LP in 1969)? Or...?

Original LP: Note the silvered-over part under the "Produced by George Harrison" part:

[​IMG]

superstar19 likes this.
  17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Oh no, anyone else?

18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

ugh. my records are stuck and delayed 3 hours away due to the snow storm so probably won't come until Monday. My luck. Keep the reviews on ATMP coming !

19. dragpeace

dragpeace Forum Resident

I have no interest in the two experimental albums nor the picture discs. If I look at all of this correctly, I'm much better off simply buying the rest individually and saving around $100, right?

Clonesteak likes this.
  20. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I'm listening to the new ATMP vinyl right now. I don't have anything to compare it to other than CD's, but to me this is a wonderful pressing. Smooth and balanced and dead quiet. It almost sounds analogue. I couldn't be happier.

e.s. and btltez like this.
  21. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Exactly.

Clonesteak and dragpeace like this.
  22. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

40th anni = RSD release?

23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

24. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Just waited at Barnes and Noble. They had 1 copy of ATMP, Living in the Material world, George Harrison, Cloud 9, and Brainwashed. I ended up picking up Living in the Material world. Looks fantastic!

BeatleStair and jacden like this.
  25. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

Didn't you order the box?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.