George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I apologize. You are correct. I was going by what @mrjinks posted. BUT he was wrong. And I was wrong for not double-checking my own original LP.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    mrjinks and teag like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Your old post was WRONG!!

How dare you!!! ;)

The 1973 LP lists the Hollywoodf Blvd address. (The Avenue of Americas address that you mention was for the address of Apple Records). So the new LP does match the original address as used in 1973.

mrjinks likes this.
  3. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

I am well aware that this box set is of the utmost quality, and going by a few unboxing vids popping up on Youtube throughout the day, a lot of care quite obviously WAS put into this. However, they could've EASILY priced this box within the $300-$350 range a'la both Beatles sets and still made a tidy profit. Sorry, but at almost $500, this set is just WAY TOO FAR out of my price range. So, I've already made up my mind to begin purchasing these new reissues individually, beginning with-what else?-"All Things Must Pass", and going from there. Since it's going to be the priciest of the individual reissues seeing as it's a 3xLP set, I'm getting that one out of the way FIRST. Hopefully, it will be as good if not better than the 2010 40th anniversary reissue, which I regrettably had to get rid of during a huge vinyl purge early last year (in order to eat and pay rent during a down period).

Chris Bernhardt and RockyRoll like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Bumping this:
    Anyone with a new copy of Electronic Sound:
    Is Bernie Krause's name silvered-over on the cover, but still legible if you look real close (as it was on the original LP in 1969)?

5. jacden

jacden Senior Member

The Apple era albums
    Yes, Bernie's name is still silvered out.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Thanks.

Can you sort of still read Bernie's name underneath the silver?

7. jacden

jacden Senior Member

No, the credit is totally obscured now. It looks like they erased it by digitally cloning the surrounding areas. You wouldn't know Bernie's name was ever there by looking at the new cover.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  8. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Music Direct----20% off of $399.00= $319.00 for the Box Set and Free Shipping.....

Naughty Chord likes this.
  9. jacden

jacden Senior Member

The bottom half of the new cover. It was hard to photograph because of the glossy silver, but it might give an impression of what it looks like.
    [​IMG]

10. Arnold Grove

Extra thanks for all the details. I was just curious what they did in this case, especially as Bernie Krause was not pleased with how George handled it back in 1969.

11. Arnold Grove

Your cover looks like they put a gob of blue/purple paint over the silver.

12. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

You folks realize that these are reissues of the original albums right? So why would you expect all of the fine print to be the same? If it was the same it would not really be a reissue....you know dates, copy, legal mumbo jumbo, recording studio, etc....

Vinyl Dude and e.s. like this.
  13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

He's outta there like Jimmy Hoffa! Maybe they're both Under The Mersey Wall:eek:

14. and that Hollywood address was a bar as I recall. It's a different restaurant now...

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

But I can't be wrong, because it's now past the 30-minute window of opportunity to erase all proof that I ever made a mistake.

;)

Oh well, I made a mistake in the 80s once, too. So sorry for those of you who were charged additional postage for any undressed elephants you may have posted recently!

Skywheel, raq0915 and Arnold Grove like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

This is the finest All Things I have ever heard, and, yes, I have all the usual suspects. Phenomenal.

btltez, raq0915, Lewisboogie and 5 others like this.
  17. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

How's Brainwashed?

18. Arnold Grove

Yes, I remember that too. It was that film review of yours where you stated that Give My Regards To Broad Street was going to win an Oscar for best screenplay... ;)

forthlin likes this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

This is better than the 1983 reissue

radiogod and e.s. like this.
  20. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Brainwashed is absolutely wonderful!!!

Embracetheday and e.s. like this.
  21. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

True, I am just hoping for a positive trend, didn't mean to jump the gun. Mine is shipping today, I'll reserve comment until I have a chance to compare myself.

22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Does that mean you've got a copy and you've given it a listen? If you think this one sounds good, that carries a lot of weight.

23. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I agree. The box looks to be ... well, perfect. Really. Conceptually, aesthetically, sonically, etc.
    But good Lord, it is expensive! (That's a subjective claim, of course. I realize some people won't object to the price, but for me it's just far too much to plunk down.)

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  24. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I will slowly replace my Harrison collection one album at a time. Brainwashed first since I have never had it on vinyl. Next up is Thirty Three 1/4 and then probably...??? Plan on taking a crate mostly full of doubles and what I call crap. Hope to get $45 to get two Harrison records tomorrow. Wish me luck and maybe I will have enough for a third? :waiting: I do have a $15 off very close so that is almost an album for free.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The only one of these titles Im interested in is Live in Japan, to complete my collection. How does it look/sound?

Naughty Chord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.