George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Which All Things Must Pass press has the red apple logo sticker on the shrink?

2. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

The 2010 RSD has the sticker. And a lot of the originals have the sticker as well.

Carl80 likes this.
  3. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

UK original or US ?

4. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Sides 1 & 2 are about average and are pretty much the same as the original U.S. or Japanese pressing. Side 3 ends a bit far from the center hole, but it also does on the U.S. pressing (it's a fairly short side). Side 4 is again about average. You might want to drag it out and do a comparison like I did. I'd love to get more opinions on the 40th Anniversary versus the new version....

All Things Must Pass
    Side 1 Total Time is 20 minutes 19 seconds
    Side 2 Total Time is 18 minutes 42 seconds
    Side 3 Total Time is 17 minutes 9 seconds
    Side 4 Total Time is 19 minutes 3 seconds
    Apple Jam Side 1 -- The sooner it's over, the better
    Apple Jam Side 2 -- See Side 1

5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

$700 (equivalent) in HMV in London (£350).

All Things Must Pass $160.

The greed these days is just astonishing..

chacha and Lewisboogie like this.
  6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I think that's a UK thing, which I don't quite understand. There aren't prices like that anywhere over here.

I was actually in that HMV back in November and I, too, was stunned by the prices. Records that cost under $20 here were priced over £30. Very strange and likely why HMV is in such serious trouble right now.

meandafoe and BlueSpeedway like this.
  7. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Sorry that I wasn't clear. Yes, I meant the remix/remaster from, I guess, 2001. The preferences were listed in the order that I liked them from top to bottom. The color picture release fell a dead last simply because it had no dynamics..... Why do you think that the color picture release hasn't been heard from in about 9 years? Try finding an LP version of it online.... it's very rare....

8. radiogod

radiogod Forum Resident

You are correct, Sir. I broke down and bought it today. It may be digital, but the sound on ATMP is phenomenal. Compared to my 1983 reissue, it has more separation of the instruments, is surprisingly warm in sound, and the bass is much more present.

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Sorry if already mentioned....who cut these records? How would the new All things must pass compare to an original UK?

I thought the RSD version sounded ok, but wasnt blown away and the records were quite scuffed. I no longer have that one ...

10. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Fantastic!!!

e.s. and Clonesteak like this.
  11. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, it was quite expensive ;) Free

12. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Well I went to B&N tonight and picked up Brainwashed, effectively putting the big kaibosh on springing for the entire box. I need Live in Japan and Electronic Sound as well but they had neither. It wasn't so much about the money, I mean the big Dylan box was way more and I got that. But I didn't have ANYTHING in that box, and here I have most everything. I haven't compared the vinyl to the cd, but it seems very smooth. Lots of midrange, no harshness at all.

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Have you ever heard of a broken record?

anthontherun, raq0915, btltez and 4 others like this.
  14. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Says Gavin Lurssen, Paul Hicks, and Reuben Cohen on the "invoice" inside the box containing the 12" singles, but omits Cohen on the bellyband.

I just got home from Music Millennium with mine, and I have to say that aesthetically at least, it's one of the best box sets I've ever seen. It's quite lavish, and as others have noted, the slipcase is extremely sturdy. All of the sleeves are very lovely, the level of care taken with the reproduction on these albums is almost as impressive as the Beatles In Mono box set. I've never seen, let alone owned a mint copy of All Things Must Pass, and from the box to the inners, it's just incredibly well-done. Now to see how they sound....

15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I think the characterization is somewhat inaccurate. Here's what the sticker looked like, back in the day:
    [​IMG]
    The 2010 repress mimicked that:
    [​IMG]
    I didn't get a "numbered" copy in 2010, and my U.K. copy has the same sticker as above, but omits the "uniquely numbered limited edition" text and "printed in U.S.A" logo.

My first purchase of this was in December 1980. It had the top sticker (or one virtually identical), but was on the purple Capitol label.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Carl80 and BlueSpeedway like this.
  16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I'm confused, I thought you listed the new one dead last, or am I mistaken and someone else posted this:

"Original U.S. issue in mint condition...
    Original U.K. issue in mint condition...
    The Original Japanese issue in mint condition...
    The 40th Anniversary issue in new condition (I bought several of these)...
    The One with the Color picture on the front...
    This new one...

"The winner on "I'd Have You Anytime", "What Is Life", "Apple Scruffs", "Beware Of Darkness", and "The Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp" between all of them is....

"The 40th Anniversary issue......"

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yeah. And the winner is listed in the middle. Hello!!

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Ron McMaster

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Ron McMaster's name is nowhere on this set. He gave some information to Fremer about the set, but that appears to be about it. Gavin Lurssen, Paul Hicks, and Reuben Cohen are listed as handling the remastering.

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The packaging is first rate from the box to the actual pressings. I haven't critically listened yet, as I only spun 3-4 tracks. However, I was very impressed with what I heard. Very smooth sound.

I don't own the 2010 RSD version. I heard those were pressed at Rainbo. Why bother! At one time I owned a Capitol rainbow label pressing. I bought it in 1985. It was okay sounding, nothing special. I do have a minty UK original with -1 matrix numbers. I pulled it out this this evening and compared the track If Not For You with the new LP. Very close. I do prefer the way the drums sound on the original.

I have to listen more closely, but so far so good.

chacha and e.s. like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They apparently were responsible for the digital remasters but McMaster cut the records. The information is in this thread someplace. It also looks like his initials are in the dead wax.

e.s. likes this.
  22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I've already been wrong once today, so I don't wanna go out on a limb, but are you saying I misread and/or they revised this sheet in the box?

23. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Well, the unboxing video kind of did me in. I was only going to order ATMP. The price at Music Direct ($319 shipped) helped a lot too.

David P. Hill likes this.
  24. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I am interested in picking up Brainwashed and maybe ATMP.

Few questions

- I see Brainwashed on Amazon but there is no release date information. Is that the new one?

- For ATMP and others, I assume they are sourced from UK masters? I own a US original in great shape. If the new one is a UK maybe it would be worth getting?

- I own an original US cloud 9 as well which is in perfect condition and sounds great. Any reason to pop for this?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  25. vwroccet

vwroccet Forum Resident

I see the initials RM in the deadwax, too, which I take to be Ron McMaster's.

Isn't it entirely possible that for some reason McMaster cut the lacquer, but the others did the remastering work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.