George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Mine will be in Tuesday. This thread is making me anxious to get it!

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes

e.s. likes this.
  3. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

I might buy some of these separately tomorrow after hearing such good things about the quality.

4. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Ended up ordering this today from Amazon UK due to all the gushing reviews so far from all on this forum - my pocketbook says "a pox on you all for enticing me into this" as I have all this content on cd already but I am sure the vinyl will be so much better...

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I stand corrected.

"Acetates cut by Ron McMaster at Capitol Records, Los Angeles"

Tape transfers at Abbey Road, remastering at Lurssen Mastering, acetates cut at Capitol.

6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

No, in my excitement at opening the box, I just overlooked that.

7. Urban_boogie

Urban_boogie Well-Known Member

I'd been holding off on ATMP as I'd never really seen the herd here speak of any particular pressing that wowed. Had it pre ordered on Amazon.ca; was due today but delay in shipping. Local shop had a copy so I grabbed it and cancelled. Just spinning now...one side in and so far dead quiet, flat, clean and sounds fabulous. Highly recommend.

Gez and e.s. like this.
  8. vwroccet

vwroccet Forum Resident

I think I have a gift (if you want to call it that) for predicting when a reissue is coming out.

Last summer, I visited a friend in Tampa and we went to a local indie where I picked up VG+ copies of both 'Electronic Sounds' (UK pressing) and 'Wonderwall Music' (US pressing).

I knew about (but had never seen a copy of) 'ES', and every copy of 'WM' I'd ever seen in the bins was beat to hell, so the opportunity to pick up both titles for a reasonable price (less than $40 total, IIRC) was an easy decision.

I look forward to comparing these remastered/reissued versions to the copies I got last year.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Really? Curious what gear you're listening on.

teag likes this.
  10. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I placed my order thru CC on 1.29 and I already have an email with tracking number stating that it is already in Missouri and due to be at my house tomorrow

mrjinks likes this.
  11. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I'm listening to the new Somewhere In England vinyl now. Another superb pressing, but it's probably worth mentioning that "Unconsciousness Rules" is the longer 3:37 edit found on the 2004 CD and NOT the shortened version found on the original vinyl.

[​IMG]

Naughty Chord, Clonesteak and mrjinks like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Project turntable and Denon receiver along with pre amp.

chacha likes this.
  13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I knew they'd screw up somewhere!

jacden likes this.
  14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I was quite surprised that Music Direct's 20% off code worked on top of the existing 14% discount on the box. I don't know if this is an oversight or intentional or how long it may last. I do see all the other sites have this at 14% off and not eligible for further discount. Coupled with free shipping, I fell for it.

Sorry to post about pricing and shipping here but I think it's worth knowing what's available. I should have some sound quality impressions soon.

15. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Yes, they always find some way of annoying us. Too bad in this case since these remasters are so close to perfection otherwise.

Now that we're on the subject, has anyone detected any mixing variations between the short and long versions of "Unconsciousness Rules"? It sure sounds like the same mix to my ears, but it would be nice to know for sure.

16. Jack

Jack Senior Member

The new Brainwashed sounds spectacular, like George's spirit is right there in the room with you.

17. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Do the stickers on the Dark Horse era albums (33 1/3 on) have the year 2014 too? Those were remastered for CD in 2004.

18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Damn....really?!?

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Interesting. Thanks. I spent a lot of money on the book, so I'll probably pass on the new version of All Things Must Pass (I think I have six vinyl versions of various pedigree). I'm just glad that there's a decent sounding vinyl version available for people to buy. If it's been mastered right, the music will just soar when the strings come in on the instrumental break of "Isn't it a Pity".

Not quite. That would have been at an exchange rate from a couple of years ago. At today's exchange rate, it would be $435 or so. See what Brexit hath wrought!

Mark Snowden and BlueSpeedway like this.
  20. No speakers ? :tiphat:

mrjinks and teag like this.
  21. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info mate, was your purchase in 1980 a US press ? Just wondering if the UK early press copies had this sticker as well or if it was just the USA ?

I'm in the UK.

mrjinks likes this.
  22. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Damn...I was afraid someone was going to say this... :(

23. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I cant answer that for sure, but I can say I've only ever seen it on US copies. There was also a different hype sticker-white rectangle with black print-found on original Canadian copies.

mrjinks likes this.
  24. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Ok, thanks for the info.

mrjinks and Embracetheday like this.
  25. RockyRoll

RockyRoll Forum Resident

I just noticed on Amazon.ca the price of the vinyl box set dropped from a high of $755 cdn from past several days back to its preorder price of $505 cdn. As much as I'm enticed to purchase this excellent box set I still feel it's a bit too high priced. If history is any indication I'm counting on this box set to drop further in price just like it has done so for pretty much most sets such as The Stones and Beatles Mono, Lennon, Queen, Pink Floyd, need I go on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.