George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips Thread Starter

DK Pete, broshfab4, Bob M. and 7 others like this.
  2. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Very interesting. Also seems to solve the mystery of the upcoming Genesis Publications "I Me Mine" vinyl.
    EDIT: I guess it actually does not solve the mystery of which Cloud 9 tracks will be included. Honestly, I'd be a bit disappointed to get a picture disc with that expensive book.

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I'd be surprised if it includes 'Early Takes Vol. 1' (as per the illustration). This is the only Harrison disc which is already widely available as a vinyl album. Hopefully these will all be available individually (take note, Tom Petty!) except for the bonus discs. Personally I'm most interested in getting a copy of 'Brainwashed' on vinyl. Maybe some of the others too, though I still have the original lp's of all of them.

4. mrgroove01

The thing I'm curious about is whether Wonderwall and Electronic Sound will be included and what kind of mastering will be involved. I'll assume digital unless otherwise noted.

5. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Live In Japan is also very expensive if you want vinyl. The rest are widely available in cheap originals. Even tons of sealed copies still out there for most titles as I suspect you already know.

6. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I think you would be slightly irritated if they did publicise for the Genesis I, Me Mine book: "the boxed set also contains a specially pressed marbled-effect 7" vinyl record, featuring two, yet to be confirmed tracks. The record is only available with this limited edition" and then decide to use it elsewhere. The quote is from the Genesis Publications website.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I also hope that they include all of the associated artwork that was include with the original LP releases. Custom inner sleeves for most (all?) albums, gatefold LP sleeves for some albums, the poster for All Things Must Pass, the LP-sized Hindu print for Living In The Material World, the cut-out letters for Extra Texture, etc.

8. mrgroove01

I'd be surprised as well about Early Takes making the set.

9. mrgroove01

With the way vinyl remasters are being released and packaged these days, not including the extras would be kind of insulting to both George and his fans.

10. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

It's nice if they do a good job with the mastering. But it's sad that they don't remix all/most of the George's catalog. And I worry this could be the nail in the coffin for that ever happening. I just listened to some tracks from Extra Texture, with a delay effect applied. The effect was sort of like the artificial double tracking Beatles pioneered on vocal tracks applied to the whole track. Not surprisingly, this did not do any favors for the drum or bass tracks. But the reason I did it was because I was tired of the wimpily mixed George vocal tracks on that album. Wow, did his vocal tracks sound better with a little delay applied like this. It breathed new life into songs like "Can't Stop Thinking About You" and "Tired of Midnight Blue" (tracks I already like) and "Grey Cloudy Lies." I think the only way to preserve a large swath of George's music for the ages is to improve some of the lackluster or sometimes dire mixes.

davenav and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. Arnold Grove

I hope that your way of thinking is correct. An album like Living In The Material World is just overloaded with extras: gatefold, inner sleeve, print, etc.

CBS 65780 likes this.
  12. mrgroove01

Very true!

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Oh good we have another chance to buy the stuff we already have. This will save me money. I had been afraid they might release something interesting at a time when I have lots of impending holiday expenses. Wonder if the 8 Track box will come out for Xmas 2017.

14. mrgroove01

I hear you but I find some of the mixing decisions in both George and John's solo albums to be questionable a lot of the time. They are what they are though.

Who is doing the mastering is also of interest to me and if they are done properly, they might be worth re-investing in.

John Bliss likes this.
  15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I think this vinyl set is a good opportunity for fans that don't have good copies of these albums, so there is a market for it. You and I don't have to buy it, but there may be many later generation fans that never got these albums on vinyl, or older fans that have copies in lousy shape.

I am happy though, that I have all these albums in excellent condition, first issue (US though) so there is no need for me to buy this set, or individual albums.

John Bliss, Rfreeman and mrgroove01 like this.
  16. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

That is a total bullhsit move on the part of Genesis and the Harrison estate! Perhaps they think we've forgotten that it was being promoted as such - kind of like they forgot to tell us that there was going to be a trade edition of the book - until after pre-orders were taken. Shame on me for ordering early on.

And Genesis, just when is 'I Me Mine' going to ship? Isn't it going on six months or so since orders were taken?

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

17. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Further evidence that the vault is all but depleted of marketable material. I wish it weren't true, but we surely would have seen more stuff by now.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  18. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Nice!! I have most of the originals, they can be found fairly inexpensive. But ive been waiting for ATMP, too many ive come across that are reasonably priced are beat up. And looking forward to getting Brainwashed.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I'm definitely in if it happens. I dont want to search out second hand originals. Those days are over for me, after 35 years. This gives me at least all of the important ones, to me, all in one place brand new. If its Abbey Road doing them they should sound good.

mrgroove01 likes this.
  20. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I'd be interested in this. I don't have much by way of Harrison in the collection.

mrgroove01 and John Bliss like this.
  21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

maybe Dhani can just stamp an image of George on the picture sleeve and label so we can differentiate it like Jimmy did

22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Why isn't 'Concert For Bangla-Desh' being released on vinyl?

John Bliss likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

It probably would require more work to gain the proper permissions from all of other musicians involved. And Harrison's estate or Universal/Capitol just don't want to bother. They probably also don't want to invest all the money in another triple album with a huge booklet, which may or may not break even. Still this was a charity album, so the funds should still be directed to the charity (which, I believe, still exists).

24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes and if Mr. Dylan can't be bothered to pick up his Noble Prize, maybe he can't be bothered giving the go ahead to be included again in this. :D

John Bliss likes this.
  25. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Dylan has never felt noble is probably why.

Calico likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.