George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

I would personally say so, at least in regard to the original CD. And I don't have an original 2002 vinyl pressing to compare with this one (I missed out on it, being that it was a VERY limited import pressing and now reportedly going for STUPID sums of money!).

sgtmono and Clonesteak like this.
  2. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

It's official! I now have the COMPLETE set of individual 2017 reissues, "Live In Japan" included! And thus, if I've added everything up correctly, I'd say I probably saved nearly $150 by forgoing that ridiculously overpriced Box set and just buying the individuals a few at a time. Thus, I don't regret my decision (and sorry to say, but I'm NOT going to miss a couple of measly picture discs of non-rare material, either). I couldn't be happier to have GH back in my vinyl collection in such a major way! Thus, I see no further reason to further post on this thread! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna get FREAKY with it and cue up the 2017 "Electronic Sound" through my headphones! Hasta La Bye-Bye, Kids!

3. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Compared to the original CD this new vinyl is great. Not so brick walled and breathes. Worth it if you are thinking about an audio upgrade.

Charlie Z., Vinyl Dude and sgtmono like this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

5. beatman61

beatman61 Well-Known Member

I just got my boxset from Music Direct. Does this vinyl set have a download card?

6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

It's a bit of a strange list.

Most of the songs on that list are nice deep cuts, but I'm not sure they're all truly top 20 material. For instance, is "I Don't Care Anymore" truly better than "All Things Must Pass"? :wtf:

Lewisboogie and mrjinks like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Euro Box does, I don't think the Euro for US has the DL rights.

8. No not US

9. alanbeat

alanbeat A music loving Chap. PipPip!

this list is rubbish and we all know it!

mrjinks likes this.
  10. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

That has got to be the attempt at ranking the top Harrison songs I have ever seen. I'm glad that person wasn't in charge of compiling Let It Roll.

Clonesteak likes this.
  11. RockyRoll

RockyRoll Forum Resident

For anyone that might be interested, the "All Things Must Pass" vinyl 3lp set is now $67.01 Canadian dollars ($50 U.S.) on Amazon.ca.

DeRosa likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And the version of All Things Must Pass (Vinyl 3 LP set) by The New Originals is $7.99 Canadian dollars on Amazon.ca... ;)

Just to clarify: Just joking!

Wingsfan2012 and Lewisboogie like this.
  13. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I finally got a copy of Live In Japan,enjoying it right now.

14. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Had a question about your orange Capitol pressing. Are side 5 and 6 on the Apple Jam label? I found an orange Capitol pressing of ATMP recently in great condition and Im wondering if I should go ahead and purchase it. How does yours sound?

15. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Now the pressing I was talking about is a pure orange label not Apple and probably circa 1978. All three labels are pure orange and say Capitol on the label. I also own a first pressing US Apple but it's in rough shape.

My 1978 pressing is in great shape and sounds really nice. I prefer the new pressing to it but the 1978 pressing sounds good. The vinyl is not nearly as quiet as the new pressing but it's fine sounding. If you can find a US pressing in great condition for a decent price I say go for it!

Lewisboogie and acemachine26 like this.
  16. acemachine26

So would you recommend the 2017 pressing over an original US? I've never owned ATMP on vinyl so Im just basing this on reviews.

17. BeatleStair

If you found a mint first US pressing I would think that would be better than the new pressing. My first US pressing is really worn and crackly with groove distortion yet through all that I can say it sounds like it would be great if it was in better shape.

A mint US original may cost more than the new pressing but if you found one cheaper I'd say go with the first pressing for sure.

acemachine26 likes this.
  18. acemachine26

Thank you.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just to throw a wrench into this and I know your question wasn't directed to me..

If you can find a NM UK original, then I would take it over the newer pressing, otherwise I'd go for the new pressing over the US copy.

pinkrudy, e.s., BeatleStair and 2 others like this.
  20. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Don't know if anybody mentioned yet that Amazon now selling the box for $399.85! How low can they go! I pulled the trigger couple weeks ago, paid $399 from the Universal music website. There is link at George Harrison.com

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  21. acemachine26

Thanks for the info, it does make my decision a bit more confusing. BeatleStair recommended the US original over the new pressing and you recommend the UK original over the new pressing and over the US original. The only thing you two have in common is that you both seem to like the new pressing. Time to go to discogs and eBay and compare prices.

22. BeatleStair

Well, I'd have to agree the UK first pressing would be best. I was recommending the US first pressing as I'm betting you could find it much cheaper than the UK first pressing. At least in my experience. Best choice first UK pressing but a first US copy in mint would sound great too.

For price, the new pressing may or may not be more expensive so there you go lol.

Tommyboy and acemachine26 like this.
  23. acemachine26

Thanks for clarifying. Im currently in the UK so I might find a UK first press for a good price. The max that Im willing to spend is £60 and that includes shipping if purchasing online.

BeatleStair likes this.
  24. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Me too. I'm assuming Live In Japan was digitally recorded to begin with, notwithstanding the sticker's reference to analogue tapes? The inner sleeve makes reference to a digital editing engineer in what seems to be the original LP's credits. The sound, if not remarkable, is quite good and these records are crankable, so kudos to Ron McMaster.

I'd never heard or been particularly interested in Live In Japan before getting this reissue, and I'm honestly a little surprised by how good it is. GH's solo career is pretty inconsistent post-LITMW, but LIJ is both an excellent career summation and a moving piece of work on its own. George wasn't just the Quiet Beatle, he was the Sad Beatle too and that very much comes through here. I played all four sides straight through when I brought it home, something I don't remember doing since the day I bought London Calling (not that I'm comparing the two).

blutiga likes this.
  25. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

It was briefly under $400.00 again this past weekend but now back over again..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.