George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I played my original UK pressing of Extra Texture last week and surprisingly enough I liked the album more than the previous time I played it. It's by no means a strong album but I might play it again in the coming month.

ohnothimagen and Vinyl Dude like this.
  2. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Dark Horse is my favorite by George Harrison. How does the new vinyl reissue sound?

3. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

It's great. I never heard the original LP pressing but I assume that it, like this reissue, is far better-sounding than the CD.

4. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Same here: have it all but wanted Brainwashed on vinyl and bought it tonight at Barnes and Noble. I've never had Live in Japan on vinyl; maybe I'll end up with that, too. Brainwashed sounds nice. I miss George Harrison.

helter, lightbulb, EddieMann and 2 others like this.
  5. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I started with Brainwashed and I liked the pressing and the sound so I picked up 33 1/3 and then I kept buying them. LITMW and Dark Horse have a familiar smooth rolled off sound to them and I personally like it a lot. They both have great separation on my system.
    Sorry to inform you Thesmellofvinyl but the Live in Japan sounds awesome. You should probably buy it because of its complete awesomeness factor. I only bought 8 of these but I will probably end up buying two more.

e.s., John Bliss and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

After "Down With Wilco", what's the most Harrison-esque album by Minus 5?

7. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

that's a great topic for a thread. I'd have to give it some thought. Possibly "Scott the Hoople...," although I'd have to think about which songs. After several years of owning it, I'm still digesting that behemoth. Maybe "Let the War Against Music Begin..."

lightbulb likes this.
  8. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Thanks; I'll check those out!

"We Now Return To Your Regularly Scheduled Programming":
    The George Harrison 2017 Vinyl Box Discussion Thread

9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Here's a question on the US ORIGINAL ATMP. Hoping maybe @daveidmarx @Mazzy and a couple other very experienced collectors could chime in on this...

I have two Apple copies and a purple Capitol, besides various other reissues. One easy way to tell if you were looking at a later sealed pressing was if "APPLE" was missing from the spine - if it was, you were surely looking at a later copy. However, I've certainly heard stories about folks having the Apple on the spine, but having Capitol labeled LPs inside. Since ATMP is one of a very few number of sealed solo albums I don't have, I'd like to get one someday. Anyway, when poring over cover variations earlier in this thread, I noted something I previously hadn't noted about the Apple vs. Capitol copies. Both my Apple copies (bought used, years after the original release) have a tiny "Printed in USA" circle in the lower right hand side of the front cover, but my purple Capitol copy does not have this. So, what do you guys think, would that maybe be a good rule of thumb when looking for an original sealed copy? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have on proving/disproving this theory! :wave:

10. So let me get this straight. You want to eventually buy a sealed early ALMP and keep It sealed for your collection?

I'll let someone else answer the exterior question, but it seems if you keep it sealed it would sort of be like if a tree falls down in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound ?

If it's sealed, does it matter what's inside ? :tiphat:

e.s. likes this.
  11. mrjinks

As I think YOU said earlier today, our sons will have nice collections. So yes, I want a sealed original to leave behind...

Mazzy likes this.
  12. I was just being snarky. Seriously I'm not sure about details like that but I bet someone else will jump in

I too have Lots of still sealed Beatles. :tiphat:

13. mrjinks

I just thought you could look at any ATMPs you have at hand and see whether that printing is present and, if so, on which copies. Perhaps a pattern would emerge, perhaps not (?)...

Mazzy likes this.
  14. Ok my three are all Apple labels. My only sealed is the 2001 remastered reissue with the colored cover.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

djost likes this.
  15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Just checked my copies. I have an original set purchased the week it was released with no "printed in the U.S.A" notification. I have a sealed copy bought later (not sure when) that does have the notice in the lower right hand corner. FWIW this sealed copy does have Apple on the spine and it has the red hype sticker describing the contents(the hype sticker also has a "printed" notification.) Whether or not that sealed copy contains Apple labels I couldn't say for sure. I have another opened copy with the "printed" notification on the inside front cover (lower right hand corner) this issue has the Orange Capitol labels. My only other copy is the RSD release from a few years ago, still sealed. BTW the hype sticker on the RSD release is on the right side of the front cover while the older issue sticker is on the left side and is closer in color to brown than red (which may be due to age.)

So I guess I'm no help! :)

mrjinks likes this.
  16. mrjinks

Thanks, but all I'm asking about is the presence or absence of the little "printed in USA" design on the bottom right, as shown in my pic above. Perhaps I wasn't clear earlier...

17. mrjinks

No, that IS helpful. It doesn't support my theory, but it may help to disprove it, which is really just as helpful in the scheme of things!

Thanks for looking!
    :wave:

forthlin likes this.
  18. Ok sorry. I wasn't paying attention. Must have been the brandy.

None of mine have that USA stamp.

mrjinks likes this.
  19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I have two original Apples, and neither one has that "Printed In U.S.A." circle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have an orange Capitol label pressing, but I have to dig that one out! ;) Hopefully, more will chime in on the matter...

Mazzy and mrjinks like this.
  20. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Curious on this as this well.

John Bliss likes this.
  21. mrjinks

Well, that theory didn't last long! :doh: I'd actually gone back and looked at some recent ebay sales, too. Noticed several listings for items that were purported to be sealed first pressings that DIDN'T have "Apple" on the spine (!!), and those didn't have the "printed in USA", either. Then noticed a couple sealed copies with "Apple" on spine that DID have the "printed in USA" and thought I was on to something. I guess I should've just checked the hardbound Price Guide (Cox/Daniels, with Spizer forward) - it clearly states some copies of the box have 'Printed in USA" on the front cover.

Anyway, thanks forthlin, Mazzy, & daveidmarx for taking a look!

forthlin and daveidmarx like this.
  22. Well, his voice is still a hoarse dark horse

John Bliss likes this.
  23. Sorry for the detour. I actually never noticed that USA stamp.

mrjinks likes this.
  24. mrjinks

How could you? Your copies don't have it!

:)

Mazzy likes this.
  25. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is the Hoarse even Darker without a treble boost?

John Bliss and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.