George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. But I worked in record stores from 73-79 and sold tons of these. Never noticed it. But I didn't look for it.

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I have an ATMP that I bought used several years ago. It's got the Printed In USA circle on the front cover, and the lps are UK first pressings with -1U stampers. But beyond that, I'm not able verify its provenance - it could be a "frankenstein" version that the previous owner(s) cobbled together.

mrjinks likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It must be.

4. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I don't agree with the overly negative feedback some have posted on the early albums in this box. I should qualify this by saying I don't have originals of the early albums other than ATMP. I do think the later albums on the Dark Horse label sound better but I've found all of these enjoyable.

If Dark Horse is your favorite I would suggest checking out the individual release and judge it for yourself. I'm listening to the reissue currently and find little to fault it on. It's also beautifully put together, as all of these are. If I had gone solely on the balance of comments here I may have skipped this one if I were just doing a few of the individuals. All I can tell you for sure is that I, for one, really think it sounds fine...and I agree with you that it's a very good album which I would have otherwise missed.

5. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

It's one of my favorites too, I think I'll get LITMW and Dark Horse next. Thanks for your impression of Dark Horse.

John Bliss likes this.
  6. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Hopefully the Dark Horse reissue isn't as rolled off sounding as an original.

7. After a two week break, I'm finally continuing with the box. Needed to get on to other things for a bit.

Re-evaluation of Gone Troppo. George's slide is fabulous on this. Really featured and stands out. Sort of an ez listening record but a fabulous recording. Loving it.

dylankicks, Vinyl Dude, e.s. and 4 others like this.
  8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yours sounds rolled off? Mine doesn't.

9. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

The only individual album left for me to buy. Glad to hear a fabulous recording. Last time it was either Cloud 9 or Gone Troppo so I have to say Cloud 9 is fabulous. Side A on Cloud 9 is great songs all the way through.
    Still curious why Concert for Bangladesh was not included?
    They should have done away with picture discs and included Concert for Bangladesh. :idea:

10. Well he hosted the concert an and album so it's not a proper Harrison record. I Agree to dump the pic discs and they should have created an album of all the singles and orphan tracks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  11. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I compare the sound of an original US pressing of 'So Sad', from Dark Horse, to something like the same song 'So Sad' covered on Alvin Lee and Mylon LeFevre's album, On The Road To Freedom, from around the same time. Maybe some of it comes down to mastering, but to me one sounds way more dynamic. Just my opinion. From what I gather, Dark Horse was rush released. It's not to say it is necessarily bad, it just could be better IMO.

12. It's great to hear George sing Dark Horse not hoarse in Live in Japan.

walrus, e.s., DK Pete and 1 other person like this.
  13. If I had known about this Japan tour I might have tried to go to Japan to see it. However I was a new father and just had bought a house. Hmmmmmm

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

He also sings it nicely clear throated on the demo version included on the Apple Years DH CD. Very nice. I always thought it was one of his most underrated songs. I can't help but think if it had been on ATMP or LITMW it wouldn't have been nearly as overlooked over time. It wasn't even included in the Let It Roll compilation (which was ridiculously incomplete, anyway).

blutiga and Naughty Chord like this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

FWIW, I've been buying the individual LP's at my convenience as I just can't spring for the box these days...I just wanted to share with anyone on the fence about these that, provided you like the music, these are stellar albums. The cover art as well as pressing quality are as well done as any re-issue I've bought over the last 7 or 8 years. So far I've bought ATMP, ET and DH. Very satisfied. Sound quality is an improvement over all the originals as well.

e.s. and Vinyl Dude like this.
  16. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Priorities man!

mrjinks and Mazzy like this.
  17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I just snatched up my second individual release after reading this thread. I used to have 'George Harrison' in an original US pressing, but I foolishly sold several later Harrison LPs a decade ago. Was very pleased with this reissue, it's clean, flat, centered and quiet, and sounds fantastic. Although I didn't recall those tape speed variations at the end of 'Soft Hearted Hana'..... that IS an intentional effect, right?

Lewisboogie, mrjinks and Vinyl Dude like this.
  18. Clonesteak

Yes the end was intentional from my understanding. I always liked it and added to the crazy silly vibe from that song.
    Just got Gone Troppo and this one really shines!!! Sounds fantastic.

Vinyl Dude likes this.
  19. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

In addition to the 2017 ATMP, which I purchased first almost two months ago, I now have 7 more of the individual reissues to my name: "Extra Texture", "Thirty-Three 1/3rd", "George Harrison" ('79), "Somewhere In England", "Gone Troppo", "Cloud Nine" and "Brainwashed". I am SUPER pleased with all of them, and now have only "Wonderwall", "Electronic Sound", "Material World" and "Dark Horse" plus "Live In Japan" to go before I've acquired them all. That said, as I've special-ordered them through my local shop, I feel pretty confident that I probably saved somwhere in the ball park of $100 or more on bypassing that HEINOUSLY overpriced box set and going for the individuals one or more at a time! Now, as I'll say again and again, if they'd have been generous enough to at least INCLUDE a "Past Masters"-type comp of non-album singles and B-sides along with a fully illustrated hard-cover coffee-table book (a'la the Beatles stereo and mono boxes), than I might've considered forking over almost $500 for that box. But two pic discs full of NON-RARE material wouldn't justify such an expense. Thus, as Forrest Gump would say, "That's all I got'ta say about that".

pinkrudy and RockyRoll like this.
  20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just curious, what have you spent on the purchases you've made so far?

21. Clonesteak

I got ATMP onward and skipped the Electronic Sounds and Wonderwall. I know I spent probably $135 minus store credit and gift card from Amazon to pick up ATMP and Somewhere in England. Very happy getting rid of duplicate stuff and stuff I didn't want and was able to get 4 more titles instead.
    The later albums really shine!!!

22. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

What's the best price on this out there right now? I saw Deep Discount has it listed for $376. If I could find a 15-20% off coupon, could probably snag it for a little over $300.

23. RockyRoll

RockyRoll Forum Resident

I just noticed that Amazon.ca has the vinyl box at $395 Cdn, that's down from the preorder price of $505 and from a high of over $700 Cdn. I feel it's going to drop further as the hoopla over it has died down. It was way overpriced to begin with when compared to the superior Beatles Mono box which I purchased for $239 Cdn when the excitement for that subsided.

24. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

not sure if this was posted yet or not, an interview about the george box masters
    : Beatles Online

helter, mrgroove01 and e.s. like this.
  25. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

How is the pressing of Brainwashed? Is it a big improvement over the CD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.