George Harrison : All Things Must Pass (album) 1970 Song by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Boy, people here are really divided over the production.

I fall in with the crowd who thinks Spector's production single-handedly makes this song great.

Take away the production (like on George's demo), and you're left with a rather slight and repetitive throwaway (IMO)...

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I think I'd like to hear a version somewhere between the demo and the full blown production...or maybe the full blown production without the reverb wash on everything that saturates the whole track.

This is one of those tracks that I wish I could have the opportunity to remix myself. I'd probably mix out or reduce some of the instrumentation and kill much of the reverb, but it's impossible to tell without the opportunity to hear the multitracks and assess what's there to be worked with.

3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

:righton: This is what I would be interested in too.

4. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

First of all, I love the album.

However, I cannot stand how badly the songs are buried within the wall of sound production. And understanding that it is only pure fantasy, I would love to hear a Martin produced ATMP.

So put me on the side of the album being great, despite the production

I also think the "cheaper than a dime" is great lyric. It is exactly what he thought J&P thought of him.

5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

For those interested, I spotted a copy yesterday at the Newbury Comics in Marlborough, MA. This was around noon.

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

"Isn't It a Pity (Version 1)" (George Harrison) Originally written in 1966 7:08

Isn't it a pity
    Now, isn't it a shame
    How we break each other's hearts
    And cause each other pain
    How we take each other's love
    Without thinking anymore
    Forgetting to give back
    Isn't it a pity

Some things take so long
    But how do I explain
    When not too many people
    Can see we're all the same
    And because of all their tears
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity

Isn't it a pity
    Isn't is a shame
    How we break each other's hearts
    And cause each other pain
    How we take each other's love
    Without thinking anymore
    Forgetting to give back
    Isn't it a pity

Forgetting to give back
    Isn't it a pity
    Forgetting to give back
    Now, isn't it a pity

(6 times, fade the 6th:)
    What a pity
    What a pity, pity, pity
    What a pity
    What a pity, pity, pity

7. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

A very nice song. Certainly a welcome relief after the annoyance (IMO) of "Wah-Wah." I'm not sure that copying the ending of "Hey Jude" was a good idea, though, as it makes the song feel like little more than George's attempt to do his own version, and it suffers in comparison. Does anyone know if there is a story behind this unusual decision? My guess would be that since the song dates from earlier than "Hey Jude," perhaps George felt that Paul ripped him off? In any event, it's a good song, but I would have preferred it without the obvious "Hey Jude" homage.

8. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have always thought that "Isn't It a Pity" at the end of Side 1 is a highlight of the album, a completely successful track, and one of the overall highlights of George Harrison's entire recorded career.

To me, the lyrics are quite good, the music is beautiful, and the production enhances it.

9. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I love this song! Loved ever since I got the My Sweet Lord 45. Much prefer this version too, it's so dramatic compared to the other one.

I don't get all the comparisons to Hey Jude at all. The two songs sound nothing like each other IMO. Where do people get that?

10. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Having just read the lyrics for the song, I also agree with this thinking of the "cheaper than a dime" lyric. The song makes complete sense from the standpoint of the Let It Be sessions.

Also, it's like the sounds the adults make in the Charlie Brown cartoons - "Wah Wah". The headache theory could be true for the beginning of the song, but I think it was all the nonsense going on with the arguing among everyone else when George was perfectly fine with his life.

11. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

"Isn't It A Pity" is one of my all time favorite George tunes, along with it being one of my faves on the album. I love the grandness of this (longer) version. The "Hey Jude" quote doesn't bother me in the least; I really like it.

The version of it on Concert For George is a sublime moment, as well. :)

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

They're the same length, piano-based, with long fade-outs and a "na-na-na-na" chorus at the end. It's not like there are NO similarities...

13. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I recall reading an archive of one of the original reviews for ATMP. It explained the presence of two versions of Isn't It A Pity: one version is for when someone had their heart broken; the other for when they're the one breaking the heart.

I'm sure someone here will find it and post it.

14. rburly

Isn't It A Pity is a beautiful song with great lyrics that was needed after Wah Wah. It's soft and melodic and enjoyable to listen to just as a song on it's own.

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

crossroads69 - Any chance you might be willing to post the musician line up for each of the songs as this thread progresses? I think this would be helpful to all of us.

16. rburly

Don't they have the same tempo? I'm not a musician, but it sounds really close from memory (correct me if I'm wrong please).

17. NorthNY Mark

Please keep in mind that I was only referring to the extended, "na-na-na-na" fadeout, not the song itself. To me it is a very obvious and intentional homage--I had no idea that this was a controversial position. My only question was whether anyone knew George's reason for the homage--I'm honestly surprised that anyone would question the premise that it is an homage in the first place.

18. Sean Murdock

Ah, but is it homage or satire? I always thought he was using the song's structure, length and "na-na-na"s as a subtle (?) comment on how he felt certain Beatles had been treating certain other Beatles... causing pain, breaking hearts, and whatnot.

19. NorthNY Mark

I considered that as a possibility as well, given that his feelings about the Beatles at the time were probably not particularly conducive to a loving homage. I'm just curious as to whether any of the Beatle experts here have read what George had to say about it (as I'd be pretty shocked if the question never came up in interviews).

20. Sean Murdock

Also remember that Paul had rejected George's guitar parts in "Hey Jude," which caused quite a rift between them, so I doubt George was going for "loving homage."

21. NorthNY Mark

Yes, I had heard that as well. This is partially why I don't like the ending--it comes across as taking a nice, heartfelt song and turning it into a backbiting "stunt." But I am curious as to what George had to say on the matter.

22. pmc7070

pmc7070 Forum Resident

The Scientist by Coldplay always reminds me of Isn't It A Pity.

23. Sean Murdock

Just because he might have been fighting with Paul doesn't make the song NOT heartfelt... other songs on ATMP were also inspired by Paul, notably "Run of the Mill."

24. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Isn't It A Pity - Love this song. one of my favorites from he album.

I guess I can see the similarities between Isn't It a Pity and Hey Jude but to be honest I never noticed the similarity until I saw the Concert for George version. THAT version seems to be an obvious nod to Hey Jude, but I never thought the album version was that obvious.

25. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

-

'Is'nt It A Pity' is one of my fave songs on the entire album. It has a really nice vibe to it...sounds lovely....and also has a nice mellow feel. GH was in his element here....

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.