George Harrison "Early Takes Volume 1" *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crossroads69, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member Thread Starter

I just read about this on the forum at georgeharrison.com and posted it in another thread. According to http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/, there will be new George Harrison release titled on "Early Takes Vol. 1" on May 1. Has anyone else heard of this? Is this website credible?

Musictap had posted that May 1 will see the DVD release of Harrison's Living in the Material World documentary in the US. Could this date also see the launch of a new archival release campaign from the Harrison vaults? This might be great news for GH fans!

2. WOW!! One can only hope, but until I hear details & some confirmation...color me cautiously hopeful, but tempered by a dose of healthy skepticism...

3. Poor Napoleon

Poor Napoleon Forum Resident

It's on Amazon (both CD and vinyl!) with the full title "Early Takes Volume 1: Music From The Martin Scorsese Picture Living In The Material World".

Is this the same CD already out in Britain in the ultra-expensive deluxe edition of the documentary?

4. crossroads69

Yeah, this got me a bit excited.....but I agree that until we get some confirmation, I shouldn't be building too much hope.

5. crossroads69

It certainly could be - makes a lot of sense to release a soundtrack with the documentary. Here is the tracklist of the CD that was included in the deluxe edition of the documentary outside NA:

"My Sweet Lord" (Demo) – 3:33
    "Run of the Mill" (Demo) – 1:56
    "I'd Have You Anytime" (Early Take) (George Harrison, Bob Dylan) – 3:06
    "Mama, You've Been on My Mind" (Demo) (Bob Dylan) – 3:04
    "Let It Be Me" (Demo) (Gilbert Bécaud, Mann Curtis, Pierre Delanoë) – 2:56
    "Woman Don't You Cry for Me" (Early Take) – 2:44
    "Awaiting on You All" (Early Take) – 2:40
    "Behind That Locked Door" (Demo) – 3:29
    "All Things Must Pass" (Demo) – 4:38
    "The Light That Has Lighted the World" (Demo) – 2:23

Could they add few more tracks? Will the CD include some remixed songs from the film? Why Volume I? Lots of interesting questions :)

6. I'm grateful to you for reporting all of this. The Amazon info certainly ups the ante. And hope will be built in the hearts of the beholders...impossible not to hope for the best really...and I am betting that this almost certainly is what was previously already out in the U.K., yes. But one can hope that's it's an expanded edition of that.
    I'm glad to get anything, and will buy it, of course, but...wow it is ever paltry compared to what accompanied the Dylan doc. That was only a small slice of Bob's career & it was pretty large- double CD I think...this is from Harrison's whole career, and it's one single CD...
    The most hopeful part is that it's listed as "Volume 1"...hopefully more to follow?

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well, color me intrigued! Hard to believe the "bonus CD" from the UK Bluray super-deluxe box would be deemed sufficient for a stand-alone release, so I'm going to have to wait for more news on this before I get excited. Best case scenario would be that the "bonus CD" will still be part of the U.S. super-deluxe DVD/BD set, and this is a separate (but related) release, and the beginning of George's own "Bootleg Series." Volume ONE!

8. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I hope you are right and that it is part of a bigger release.

It is about time George got some outtake-demo-unreleased-deluxe-box-set love. :goodie:

9. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Hope so

10. apple corpse

apple corpse Forum Resident

Clipped from Amazon:

Product Details
    Audio CD (May 1, 2012)
    Number of Discs: 1
    Label: Hip-O Records
    ASIN: B007IE4DSG
    In-Print Editions: Vinyl
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #96,314 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A GH Bootleg Series release has the potential to be the most exciting Beatles/solo release in history, to me.

12. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Who are Hip-O Records?, could this just be a false listing, a bit of marketing to give publicity to help sell the DVD, i hope not

13. Mr. Bob Dobalena

Mr. Bob Dobalena Forum Resident

Hip-O is for real-- they have done a bang-up (if expensive) job with Motown vault releases.

14. Hip-O has been around for a decade or more and is Universal's reissue arm much like Rhino is Warner's...

15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agreed. We can only hope something like this will really happen.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

17. lennon_08518

lennon_08518 Forum Resident

I just ordered a copy. I hope this is the beginning of a definative George retrospective..

18. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

Please Please Please

19. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

I'm hoping that this is true also. One question that crossed my mind is why is this on Hip-O and not Capitol or EMI? Nothing against Hip-O, I'm just wondering.

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yeah Sean, this would be cool enough as a one shot release but the hope that this is only volume ONE ... WEEEE !!:D

Note to self : calm down.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think Olivia and Dhani will do this right. I have full confidence in them.

22. crossroads69

EMI and Capitol Records are now owned by the Universal Music Group and maybe that has something to do with these releases coming out on Hip-O. I could be wrong tho.....

23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Me too -- this little tiny bit of news just completely eclipsed all of my cumulative anticipation for the Ram deluxe set, the new Beach Boys record, and anything the Kinks may reissue this year. Combined. YMMV.

24. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I'd like to see this on Apple and more than 40 minutes long.

25. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I quite like the fact that the title includes, "volume 1", as in there will be a "volume 2".

Eagerly awaiting May 1...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.