George Harrison Nominated For 3 Grammies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stateless, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stateless

Stateless New Member Thread Starter

I'm not a big Grammies fan (i.e. Best New Artist-Milli Vanilli :rolleyes: ) but it's nice to see George Harrison's BRAINWASHED album receive some recognition. Perhaps more people will get a chance to hear it as a result.

Here's the news as posted on Abbeyrd's Beatles Page....

(12/4/03) George Harrison has been nominated for three Grammys in the nominations released Thursday morning. One is for best Pop Vocal Album for "Brainwashed," another is for best Male Pop Vocal Performance for "Any Road" and the third is for Pop Instrumental Performance for "Marwa Blues." No nominations of any other Beatles were announced. This is an incredible and well-deserved honor for such an incredible album.
    Here are the three categories George is nominated in, along with his competition for the awards:

6. Male Pop Vocal Performance: "Any Road," George Harrison ; "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," Michael McDonald ; "Send Your Love," Sting; "Cry Me a River," Justin Timberlake; "Keep Me in Your Heart," Warren Zevon.

9. Pop Instrumental Performance: "Patricia," Ry Cooder and Manuel Galban; "Marwa Blues," George Harrison; "Honey-Dipped," Dave Koz; "Seabiscuit," Randy Newman ; "The Nutcracker Suite," The Brian Setzer Orchestra.

11. Pop Vocal Album: "Stripped," Christina Aguilera; "Brainwashed," George Harrison; "Bare," Annie Lennox ; "Motown," Michael McDonald; "Justified," Justin Timberlake.

"Pop" seems to be a catch-all category for the Grammys when you consider the assortment of artists who are nominated here. George belongs in the rock category, rather than pop. He has some interesting competition in Sting, Ry Cooder and Randy Newman, to name a couple. We'll cross our fingers that George goes three for three.

2. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Aren't they a year too late? That album came out in November 2002, and it's almost 2004. Shouldn't that have been part of the Grammies that were held earlier this year?

Agreed, though, that it's good to see him get some recognition. Albeit posthumously, but nevertheless... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The Grammy eligibility period runs from October 1 to September 30.

4. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Ahhhhhh, okay, that'll do it.

I thought it just went January to January :rolleyes:

5. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Which would...make sense.

6. Marry a Carrot

But would make it difficult to announce nominations on December 4.

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Yet another wise observation. You're into these Grammy threads, aren't you? :)

8. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I hate to say this, but I'm guessing that Justin Timberlake will win the two categories he shares with George.

I feel so bad for the kids of today. I was 7 in 1964 so the music I enjoyed while growing up included so many timeless classics. How many songs by Brittany, Justin, and the "Boy Bands" will be remembered when the kids who listened to them have grown up?

9. Marry a Carrot

I think George is a lock in the instrumental category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.