George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The individual packaging is a huge disappointment. I want non-factory scratched CDs and packaging that will last past the first shipment. i.e. jewel cases. These aren't digipaks, but paper slide cases with no plastic trays.

The Beatles remasters had nice graphics, but mediocre protection or durability. More disposable packaging again. Hey packaging artists actually use the product and get a clue!!!

Dark Horse 77 and Blair G. like this.
  2. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

But Wollensack the question we are all wondering about... Is the alternate "You" one of the mind blowing tracks?:laugh:

Wollensack likes this.
  3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I understand your frustration with regard to the packaging. It seems jewel cases are on their way out, unfortunately. However, remember you can always get protective sleeves for these CDs. :) I think they sell 'em in packs of a hundred or something. Fear not!

4. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Well if it is, it's a great decision to put it on there. Would love to hear it.

5. Yes you can and I have some for this purpose however it is a bit late if the disc is already scratched from purchase which was the case with my 2014 Led Zeppelin I disc. I think one should be supplied with the disc which is what the Japanese do.

theMess likes this.
  6. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Yeah, the Japanese do it right.

theMess likes this.
  7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Arnie, just for you:
    [​IMG]

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I really like the digipak and mini LP packaging but yeah, the record companies should spend the additional 5 cents and put the discs in a sleeve!

She is anyway likes this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Sorry, I was not very clear before. Let me try this again. The release itself does of course bear the Apple trademark, but the press releases clearly refer to Universal. And it is a sort of changing of the guard with Universal taking over the catalog. The Beatles were always treated "special" which usually meant that they would fall behind the curve in terms of the world around them. Look how long it took to get out the remasters, and then get to iTunes. But now, things are moving at a much faster clip. Apple and their strange ways seem to be falling out of style, and Universal is taking over in grand fashion. Look at all the long awaited projects that are suddenly coming out. The Beatles Capitol albums. The Beatles Live project. The main topic here, George's Apple Years. Universal seems to be running the show now, and it has been a very positive development. I hope this made some sense :)

theMess, She is anyway and dewey02 like this.
  10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I don't think it's as much about Universal running the show as it's about Apple finally having a partner company that they like working with. It's also the change of guard at Apple with Jeff Jones taking over and pushing more releases out than Neil Aspinall ever wanted.

Definitely a very positive development for the fans! Maybe we'll finally see the long awaited Let It Be movie come out soon.

She is anyway likes this.
  11. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Couldn't agree more. It also makes no sense since the Dark Horse albums are in jewel cases already as well.

12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

It's also going to be part of a new documentary series..... Classic Singles

theMess likes this.
  13. Calico

Calico Senior Member

(Under) The (Mersey) Wall

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Includes:

"Bangladesh" - regular studio version as on the 45 single
    "Bangladesh" - instrumental backing track only
    "Bangladesh" - vocals-only version
    "Bangladesh" - radio edit
    "Bangladesh" - 45 version but played at 33 1/3 rpm
    "Bangladesh" - backwards version
    "Bangladesh" - special version with Paul overdubbing a new bass track (recorded 2015)
    "Bangladesh" - mash-up of "Bangladesh" with the National Anthem of the country of Bangladesh (courtesy of Giles Martin)

(help me...) ;) Arnie

aoxomoxoa, Eska68, theMess and 7 others like this.
  15. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Perhaps there is no help...;)

But I'd get this release:shrug:

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Unfortunately, I think you're beyond help. The lack of a McCartney "Coming Soon" card has broken you beyond repair. :link:

17. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

You better hope Paul doesn't catch wind of this release or a similar Ou Est Le Soleil box may follow.

18. Arnold Grove

Even I have my limits... ;) Arnie

19. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac

I was getting conflicting info as to the bonus tracks on the albums, which is why I haven't mentioned them specifically here. The latest info I have now is that The Ronnie Spector version of You is NOT going to be on ET, but that the Platinum Weird version of This Guitar will be the lone bonus track on that album.

Also, it appears the studio version of Bangla Desh IS a bonus track on LITMW, along with Deep Blue and Miss O'Dell.

From what I can glean, it's possible a few more bonus tracks were originally going to be featured on the albums but, for whatever reason, they were scaled back somewhat in the last month or two. For example, I had heard Soundstage Of Mind originally mentioned as a bonus track on DH, but now I'm hearing it's not on there.

The CD labels will be virtually identical to the original LP releases, right down to a nice Zapple label for Electronic Sound. Copyright info on the discs is listed as G.H. Estate Limited under exclusive license to Calderstone Productions Limited (a division of UMG.)

In addition to some never-before-published pictures, the booklets to the albums, as well as the book accompanying the boxed set, show really nice pictures of master tape boxes from Abbey Road Studios, Apple Studios, A&M Records and FPSHOT, plus there's a funny picture of George's original handwritten and colored label idea for Ding Ding Ding Dong, which is listed as being by "G. Plan & The Wigtappers."

Also, the cover of ATMP is black and white on this release.

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Told y'all. :agree: :righton:

21. Arnold Grove

A miracle!!! Arnie

22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Thanks for the update, Andre! :thumbsup:

theMess likes this.
  23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

About ATMP;

1)Which mastering will be used? 2000 Astley? 2010 vinyl reissue? Or 2014 Giles Martin remaster?
    2)Will be the bonus tracks from the 2000 version be retained?
    3)Or will it be as on the original vinyl(3 discs)?

IronWaffle likes this.
  24. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac

All of the albums are 2014 remasters.

anthontherun, Tord, theMess and 11 others like this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Just as I figured. It makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info!

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.