George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I am buying the crap out of this

2. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Wouldn't it be nice that since the George Harrison site has been posting 1080 clips from the Dark Horse box DVD that they reissue the Dark Horse box with the DVD now a Blu-Ray with extra video footage like the full Japan concert instead of the live album and substitute "Brainwashed" CD for that and keep all studio albums.

Might be nice to tuck on the video footage from the Brainwashed Deluxe set to the Blu-Ray as well. Not likely but it would be nice ...

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I think we only need a new thread for it if it is remastered or has any added bonus tracks. If it is simply a re-release, I don't see the point.

4. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I like that idea. The Live in Japan release was SACD on the original box. Why not make it Bluray now with the stereo/5.1 audio as well as more footage from tour?

However, my expectation is that the contents will likely stay the same as they were in 2004 with possible inclusion of Brainwashed, which was also released on th Dark Horse label. The SACD format for Japan may be eliminated as well (given longer production schedules).

5. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

It was confirmed by Wollensack on page 36 I believe

"Yes, The Dark Horse Years set is being re-released along with the Apple Years set."

6. Hi,

Well, I'm sorry, I can't be much help because I did like that reissue. It was much better than the original CD master, and it was George's re-master, the way he wanted it to sound. So, I too would like to know why so many have a bummer on it.

Haristar likes this.
  7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The Beatles: Now in their 50th Year of Taking ALL of My Allowance,( including my birthday and Christmas money.)

8. kahlveen

kahlveen Forum Resident

I've only heard the 2004 remaster of 33 & 1/3 (iTunes download). Way too loud and compressed. I ended up buying the original Warner Bros. 9 26612-2 CD from ebay.

9. Dirceu

Dirceu Well-Known Member

It would be a dream come true if Apple Years Box + Dark Horse Years Box were released with the actual sonic improvements (like all Beatles, Lennon and McCartney stuff). But, let's face it: It will be the same old 2004 Dark Horse Box, in jewel cases, back to the market. They're already 'rewarding' us with the Apple Box.

But I could be wrong. And I wish I was.

10. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Do you know if at least the packaging will be updated to match the new set?

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Unfortunately, that is my hunch as well.

Dirceu likes this.
  12. It was stated here several times that the Dark Horse box will have new 2014 remasters or did I dream that ?

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You dreamed it. It was stated several times that every album in the upcoming Apple Years box is a 2014 remaster. It was hoped that the same would be true for the Dark Horse Years box.

Dirceu likes this.
  14. Ok thank you. So no definitive answer on that yet

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

No, sir. All we know is this:

theMess and Mazzy like this.
  16. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Too bad Concert for Bangladesh isn't included in the box. I don't care for the current cover.

17. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

The Dark Horse Years set was included in Dhani's picture. Would it be presumptuous to think that might've been a hint that it was also getting remastered?

[​IMG]

18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Good point. I hope that you are correct. I hope that if it is remastered, they have also remastered Brainwashed, so that every solo album has a 2014 remastered sound.

19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I wish they'd package the Apple set in jewel boxes to match the original Dark Horse set :)

20. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Since "Got My Mind..." went number 1 and "...Fab" was top 40, I thought "This is Love" would do very well.

However, I was stunned when it didn't even chart when I thought it was the best song on the album.

21. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Agreed! It was a hit for sure, can't believe it was not given a chance

theMess likes this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

It was issued as a single.
    So that was its chance.
    I agree it that it should have been a hit. It is one of the most Beatley tunes George did as a solo Beatle, just like Woman was a John Beatley single. I think it should have been the follow up to Got My Mind Set. I think people just got tired after Fab was the second single.

23. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It's not the song's fault and the same reason why Paul's "This One" didn't chart (after My Brave Face and Figure of Eight).

They both had just enough public interest for only two more hits before the singles era passed them by.

theMess, Peachy and dewey02 like this.
  24. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I agree about "This one", another would have been hit.

theMess and ralph7109 like this.
  25. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

I will love this song forever. A song that needs no translation. I didn't know there was such a nice video!

theMess and ralph7109 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.