George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Count me among those who think this is too pricey. I'll opt for individual titles--I can live without Electronic Sound or another copy of Material World.

905 likes this.
  3. zen

zen Senior Member

I've missed the first two parts. Apart from too pricey, what's the important info here? Thanks.

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

That about covers it.

5. jricc

jricc Senior Member

I was sooo close to being first in part 3 :sigh:.

oh and more importantly, too pricey, individual titles for me.

6. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Here's what Roger from WogBlog wrote, summarizing our discussions here. Most of the details come from a VERY reliable source:

Hope that clears things up. Look at the pretty packaging:

[​IMG]

An official announcement should be coming Tuesday.

EDIT: Here are the links for purchasing...

BOX: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Years-Limited-Harrison-George/dp/B00MG4CUH4
    Wonderwall Music: http://www.amazon.com/Wonderwall-Music-Limited-Harrison-George/dp/B00MI712KA/
    Electronic Sound: http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Sound-Limited-Harrison-George/dp/B00MG4CV8C/
    All Things Must Pass: http://www.amazon.com/All-Things-Must-Pass-Limited/dp/B00MI7120K/
    Living in the Material World: http://www.amazon.com/Living-Material-Limited-Harrison-George/dp/B00MI711RO/
    Dark Horse: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Horse-Limited-Harrison-George/dp/B00MI711QA/
    Extra Texture: http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Texture-Limited-Harrison-George/dp/B00MI7121E/

If you are from a country that is not the US, just type in your country's web suffix (.co.uk; .de; etc.) in place of ".com" and it should lead you to your country's listing.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

So these will be available individually?

8. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

There are Amazon links on the previous page of this thread that suggest the titles will be available individually.

9. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac

Nice shot of one of the tape boxes featured in the accompanying book in the box set.

[​IMG]

Sean Murdock, Yosi, MCE1965 and 10 others like this.
  10. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Regarding price: since this hasn't even been officially announced yet, I'm not too worried about it. I won't be surprised if amazon's price goes down a fair bit.

ronbow likes this.
  11. Electronic Sounds is the underrated undiscovered Claasic

12. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Thanks for all the info! Do you know if the Dark Horse box is being redone to match the new packaging?

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yes.

14. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The bonus tracks are the bare minimum. But thankfully the studio version of "Bangladesh" has been added to the LITMW CD (where it should have been in the first place when LITMW was last reissued on CD in 2006).

Arnie

Guy E, jricc, Millington and 2 others like this.
  16. Wollensack

Wollensack Beatles maniac

IMHO, I can't overstate how great it will be to get take 1 (an instrumental) of "The Inner Light" as a bonus track on the Wonderwall disc. We can argue back and forth about it (and I know we will!) but, as far as I'm concerned, that is a Beatles outtake and, for that, I'm thrilled. THAT, to me, will be "mind-blowing" to hear.

My pleasure. Unfortunately I have no info on the Dark Horse Years box.

Also, Nitin Sawhney writes a nice introduction in the Wonderwall disc and Tom Rowlands of the Chemical Brothers writes the intro in the booklet for Electronic Sound.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  17. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I for one am really excited about the Apple Years box! So I'm guessing by looking at the above photo, if you buy the box you get mini-reproductions of the original album covers including the box for "All Things Must Pass"? But if you buy them individually you get the versions that are in line with the rest of the Beatles, McCartney solo reissues?

If so, it's worth the extra money for me to get the box! Who am I kidding I'd get the box anyway but for the beautiful reproductions of the covers it's a must buy for me. Plus I really love George's solo music. I really hope they've re-done the Dark Horse Years box as well.

Who would have thought that The Beatles and solo members camp would have such CD diarrhea this Fall!!! I've don't remember such nice releases being put out back to back like this in ages. Must be the Universal factor at play?

18. slane

slane Forum Resident

Strangely separated from its B-side though (the order of the bonus tracks is Deep Blue, Miss O'Dell, Bangladesh - the latter merely tacked onto the 2006 running order).

BTW, I suppose '2014 Remaster' could be as little as a slightly tweaked version of the 2006 master, rather than a completely new mastering. Same with ATMP, though hopefully using the 2010 hi-res as its basis.

heatherly and Carserguev like this.
  19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I'm looking forward this too!

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I am excited to hear it too. BUT it is a Beatles outtake with zero Beatles on it. So it sort of falls into a different category. Arnie

JimC, theMess, Carserguev and 2 others like this.
  21. Like the string section alone from Eleanor Rigby. But I'm still looking forward as Wonderwall is one of my top 5 favorite Harrison albums.

Millington and theMess like this.
  22. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

And, the bonus tracks are "mind blowing".

aoxomoxoa, Carserguev and Mazzy like this.
  23. Ha!

JimC and supermd like this.
  24. She is anyway

She is anyway Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be the Grammar Police, but since this affects actual meaning…

I think you mean you can't overstate how great it will be, right? No matter what superlatives you used, you'd never be able to capture how great it is…

…Right?

Chris from Chicago and Mazzy like this.
  25. I think he meant understate. :tiphat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.