George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Wow, no live 1974 tour material in the dvd?! This set is a real dud. Seems like a rehash of mostly previously-released stuff.

Might buy individual titles if they sound better, but have very low expectations.

blutiga, gswan, ponkine and 2 others like this.
  2. freddiebell

freddiebell Forum Resident

Well, unfortunately, that is part of the problem when artists and their representatives work in secrecy and keep everything in-house until it's time to roll it out. Nerdy as some people may see us to be, we are well informed and have an eye both for detail and for accuracy. Maybe if they ran some of these things by focus groups like us ahead of time, the package would be stronger in the end, not least on the accuracy front, whereby better overall quality and reliability could be ensured. Maybe that is too obvious to make sense to them. Or maybe they just don't care as much about it as we do, as long as it sells.

Eska68, mrjinks, theMess and 2 others like this.
  3. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Well, they want this set to match the Dark Horse years box, so expect the pages to be all out of sequence, maybe that's why the information is wrong? :)

I'm 80% sated with this from just watching the two minute promo clip, let me watch the 7 1/2 minute feature from the DVD and that's me done . . I won't even bother lighting a cigarette :)

mrjinks and klaatuhf like this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Personally I find the new remaster of Extra Texture sounds way better than the version I have already. ATMP has definitely had a new remaster as well. I'd say ATMP sounds a lot softer than the 2001 version personally.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  5. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Saw a funny line on Twitter about this box set: George Harrison's people are re-releasing "Living in the Material World" as part of a $130 boxset. No irony there.

:D

6. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

The "card" I referred to in my earlier post must be the 20 page booklet.

7. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Or in this case "Living In The Immaterial World".

8. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I would be happy to get more rare Harrison material--a Bootleg Series, or whatever--but I think that's the wrong attitude with the present set. As someone else has observed, The Apple Years is primarily a nice presentation of the original material. That's just what it is--it isn't something else. And for what it is, it looks pretty nice. One can expect high standards in remastering and quality booklets. If those fall short, then there will be just cause for disappointment.

My own disappointments are sort of trivial: I would have wanted a complete presentation of the stray Apple-era tracks that have been officially released, but are still missing with this set: the Genesis book tracks, the earlier I-Tunes exclusives, the Apple-era Early Takes, plus any other previously-released odds and ends from the 1968-1975 period. Maybe they'll show up in some dream box of the future.

I guess I also would have preferred the ATMP bonus tracks to be moved to a separate disc together with the Apple Jam and I would have been happier for My Sweet Lord 2000 to show up on a re-released Dark Horse Years box. But these are trivial preferences and the lack of never-before-released material doesn't bother me a bit.

9. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Does anyone have any further news about the rumored Dark Horse Years box set re-release?

theMess likes this.
  10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Another one to scratch off the fall and holiday list sadly.
    What a shame.

gswan, JimC and ponkine like this.
  11. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Yeah, guess my money will have to go towards Dylan's Complete Basement Tapes!

RonBaker and JimC like this.
  12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

With so much ATMP material ... they recycle the same bonus tracks used for the 2001 edition :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

gswan, Mr. H, vitorbastos123 and 4 others like this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think I’m good on Harrison’s solo catalog. Certainly can’t see myself buying another copy of “Electronic Sounds”. I’ll invest in another “All Things Must Pass” if there is significant improvement in sound.

I don’t really need bonus tracks, especially planted in the middle of the album. What this album really needs is an immersion box with the proper album and all the demos and outtakes and remixes rounded up under one roof. Throw in the poster, some miniature gnomes, a guitar pick and a $150 suggested retail price and then we’ll have world peace.

JimC, theMess, Jerry Horne and 3 others like this.
  14. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

I still can't believe the dvd is so paltry. I agree that it's nice they are re-releasing the albums, but honestly, if you're going through all the trouble of including a special dvd with your box set, then can you at least put something on it! A dvd can hold, what, three hours of content. What does this one have, twenty-three minutes?

JimC, theMess and Naughty Chord like this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

But it's got a FEATURE! One that Olivia "painstakingly" worked on! It's not like they just included a skimpy "Featurette" or something!

16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The clip on iTunes UK confirms that the Platinum Weird "This Guitar" does have additional overdubs (drumming which is recognizably Ringo and new Hudson-style backing vocals) not on the 2006 download.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    JimC, theMess, rstamberg and 2 others like this.
  17. I love how the great music from Wonderwall opens the promo video with two pieces of music. Every other album only has one.

She is anyway likes this.
  18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Oh, come on. Do you expect the research team to actually check Wikipedia or something?

ParloFax likes this.
  19. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

FYI, iTunes UK has clips up for ALL the tracks.

Surprise #1: the "Dark Horse" bonus track isn't the widely-booted demo, but in fact an "Early Take" -- and a very nice one too, with a good vocal and backing vocals.

Surprise #2: As noted by Marry A Carrot, the new Platinum Weird "This Guitar" has some VERY Mark Hudson-y backing vocals added. May take some getting used to, but otherwise the tracks sounds good.

Also, "The Inner Light" instrumental sounds very nice, but not terribly different from the final version.

"Maya Love" is available now for purchase.

theMess, supermd, Yosi and 1 other person like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well that is nice. And thanks for alerting us to it. Too bad they didn't see fit to include more of these type of items.
    Arnie

theMess likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Even Electronic Sound? That's risky... ;) Arnie

23. But is worked quite nicely

24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't have liked more bonus tracks, but it is what it is. The way I look at it -- because I really have no other choice -- is that if you take the Early Takes Vol. 1 CD and the best of the bonus tracks, a really solid 2-CD "Rare and Unreleased" set can be compiled. I will compile my own playlist when the Apple box comes out, put it all in chronological order, and make my own "Portrait Of A Boot Leg" cover art. As much as I pine for more, the truth is, even if the Harrison estate never releases another track, we'll have enough to keep us entertained for the rest of our lives.

EDIT: I just checked my in-progress playlist -- 44 tracks, all officially released in one form or another. I know I've left some out, so figure over 50 tracks. The only things I took from unofficial sources were "Ride Rajbun" and the 2 Genesis EPs. This includes iTunes exclusives, audio ripped from DVDs, and regular CD bonus tracks. Until Dhani decides to compile and release a box himself, this will have to do.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    theMess likes this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Wonder if it occurred to Paul to say "I'll let you have those two out if you let me put out Carnival of Light"

She is anyway and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.