George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GUYS! can we please get to the important stuff? How is the master of Electronic Sound? Are the blips and boops warm? Brickwalled? Bright. C'mon ya'll let us know. :laugh:

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the brilliant crescendo of Thanks for the Pepperoni would be hard to follow by anything, but to follow it by the hymm-like Out of the Blue is just crazy. These are five of Harrison's best songs (or, as Harrison put it in 1997: "If I had had a career of putting out albums as good as Apple Jam, I'd still have a real career today...Some songs you just know, and when we were recording the material that became the Apple Jam, we just knew...") Harrison and Spector got this disc exactly right the first time.

3. Anyone know why the CDs have those songs out of order? Did the original CD release have them that way?

4. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

"Material World" sounds like the loudest album in the set to me. By no means bricklwalled but a tad louder than the others. May be the tapes who knows. Sounds very similar to the 2006 reissue. It even has the same liner notes as 2006 and all the 0thers have new notes.

I can say that "Bangla Desh" has never sounded better!!! Blows away the version on "The Best of George Harrison" CD!

Listening to "Wonderwall Music" now. Lovely sounding. LOVE the Take 1 of "The Inner Light" though it really doesn't sound all that different to the released take. Interesting album that I've not listened to as much. I'll have to give it more spins. Sounds nice though.

5. Very good news!

theMess likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The blips are good, but not very crankable. Some of the harsher boops seem to have been tamed, but there's a bit of a hole in the midrange as a result. I think the orange Apple 1973 Yugoslavian press is going to remain my go to at this point.

Apparently, there's a tape that features the original demo of Electronic Sound that is something to hear.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

George changed the order for the 2001 CD. Prior to that, it followed the 1970 LP order. Arnie

theMess and Hutch like this.
  8. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

I wonder if any of the mom and pop music shops have got this one in yet. I would like to get ET and DH. Hopefully a download comes up, I'd like to judge LITMW and ATMP

Yorick likes this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

From the press release for the 2001 reissue:

"ALL THINGS MUST PASS is also unique for the all-star "Apple Jam" that occupied both sides of the third LP in the boxed-set. Consisting of five tracks that were recorded during the course of the album sessions, they were sequenced to accommodate the time-lengths of the vinyl sides. Once again, aficionados will appreciate that Harrison has restored them to their true sequence, so that the 11-minute "Out Of the Blue" - featuring Harrison, Clapton, his "Dominos,' plus Keys, Price, Wright, and visiting New York rock journalist Al Aronowitz - is now the fifth and closing track instead of the first."

10. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Sampling "Electronic Sound" right now. Surprisingly, it has some terrific liner notes! Dhani tells a great story about finding the painting that George made that was used as the cover and how it kept it and then discovered the "music" shall we say.

The liners also address the controversy over who actually made the album and which song is which - I'll leave those stories to those who buy the disc.

It's actually kind of fun, trippy background noise. Fun for writing or drinking ... whatever the case may be lol!

11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Wow, just when you thought you'd learned all you can learn. Intriguing!
    [​IMG]
    Fixed your typos, Sean!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I can't really explain why, but I'm not infuriated. Sure, I would rather have the "Simply Shady" demo NOW, and I've said before that I personally feel that putting fewer than four bonus tracks on a CD reissue is almost not worth the effort, and doesn't really "improve" your CD. But for whatever reason, Olivia and Dhani have decided that this is the way to proceed, and so they have. As paltry as they are, I still like the "Apple Years" bonus tracks better than the very dodgy, "Dakota" quality demos they put on some of the "Dark Horse Years" albums. (I'll take just about anything by George, but a 6-minute cassette of his meandering "Mystical One" demo just doesn't compare to the gorgeous "posh demo" of "Life Itself" that got released on one of those Genesis EPs.) And I'll stand by what I said -- the fact that Olivia mentioned the "Simply Shady" demo IN THE LINER NOTES of the album it SHOULD have been released on fills me not with frustration, but with assurance that it will be released, someday.

13. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree with this sentiment too. And coming from 1972, one would expect the vocals to be nice and clear. Look for it on the "next" Harrison release. Ron

14. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Looking good.

theMess and Naughty Chord like this.
  15. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Is ATMP the remix or original mix?

16. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Sorry, Sean, i gotta go w mr jinks on this one. To provide such a paltry selection of demos for a deluxe set, when there is clearly a wealth of treasures to choose from, is really chintzy. I think everyone agrees. But then to include a discussion referencing a demo not included here just seems kind of churlish and tone-deaf. (Almost like rubbing salt into the wound, but that might be just a bit overly-dramatic.)

17. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The original mix. The album has been remastered a couple times now, but never remixed (though George considered the possibility).

Naughty Chord likes this.
  18. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I just can't get too excited about a bunch of jams in one key (C) with no chord changes. Sure they sound great musician wise, but I can't just sit in a room and listen.

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That's the part that irks me, too. It would be one thing if she mentioned it in passing in some sort of promotional interview for the set, but to stick it in the liner notes to the actual album is ... well ... It's All Too Much for me to take.

20. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I will be getting the albums separatedely...but I wish they could have added at least 5 bonus tracks to each album.
    The box set of rarities is a too far, far away future to my tastes.
    Five wouldn't hurt. And I believe most poeple who'll get these CDs are long time fans.

She is anyway and JimC like this.
  21. Sean Murdock

ATMP has never been remixed.

22. Sean Murdock

Ron, you've been conspicuously quiet today ... were you able to get the Apple Years box early as planned? If so, any thoughts?

theMess likes this.
  23. then get up and dance!!!!

24. Sean Murdock

I understand, believe me I do. If Dhani had asked me what to do, I would have advised him to put no fewer than 4-5 bonus tracks on each CD, and 10-12 on ATMP (including the previously-released bonus tracks). But we've known for a decade now that they have a different opinion. What can we do about it? I would have changed every single release they've made since George passed (some with minor changes, most with major changes), but they didn't ask me. I do honestly believe that with all of the standard catalog releases now remastered and reissued as George had wanted, they will eventually turn to the vault and we'll get some amazing things. Maybe it will take awhile, but as I pointed out a long time ago in this thread, Olivia and Dhani have actually released SOMETHING by George (or George-related) almost every year since he died. It's not like they've sat around doing nothing.

25. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Drama begins at $100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.