George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Amazing liner notes for Electronic Sound. In just two pages, Dhani revelead the entire meaning of the front and back covers through an exchange he'd had with his father as a teenager! Very intimate details that would have been forever lost otherwise.

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Buy the liner notes and artwork and we throw in the coaster for free!

3. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Same with my Aussie die cut. The texture is very fine indentations rather than raised dots. Unlike the new one it is more like dimpling than pimpling!

4. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

Any fello Australian Forum members here know the best price here in OZ for this Set ? JB HI FI $196.00 Struth ! they weren't kidding me.

5. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

my brother-in-law got his box today and he sent me waveforms of tracks on ATMP and they're noticeably louder than the 2010 96/24. he seems pretty happy with the sound, however, and while he's not an audiophile by any means, he swears by the 2010 ATMP so if he's liking this one as much as he's telling me he does, it has to sound decent.

Clanceman and She is anyway like this.
  6. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Cheapest I could find was WOW HD (used to be CDWOW) for $147.95: http://www.wowhd.com.au/CD/george-harrison-apple-years-7cd-1dvd/dp/40065263#bc=18a6

Free shipping but it wouldn't surprise me if they take weeks/months. There were some unfavourable internet blog posts made about CDWOW so definitely buyer beware.

7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

also I can post waveforms of some of the ATMP tracks if you guys want to see them

aoxomoxoa, scocs and Mazzy like this.
  8. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

Thanks Mate , Looks like the best ill do is Amazon $105 Plus the usual , Cheers.

9. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

It is louder but for me it sounds much better than the 2001 CD. I made mp3s of What is Life and I'd Have You Anytime and the waveform for What is Life looks almost brickwalled but doesn't sound bad and the waveform for I'd Have You Any Time looks very decent. Track by track it varies with some louder than others but I think the CD sounds pretty good actually.

theMess likes this.
  10. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Rather than pay the "Australia Tax" try ImportCDs - currently US$85.33 plus shipping - typically delivered within two weeks. If you're lucky you may get a free upgrade to UPS and have it in days. Last time I purchased from CDWOW the items shipped from Hong Kong, so it's not like you're supporting a local retailer.

11. No thank you. My ears will do.

supermd, howlinrock and sgtpppr84 like this.
  12. SoilyCompany76

SoilyCompany76 Forum Resident

After hearing ATMP & LITMW Im a bit curious to how ET & DH sound. Suprised I haven't found them on the net yet.

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

They ship to Australia?
    Their order pages almost always say "no international export", INCLUDING the link you provided (?).

14. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Oops, I missed that - the first time I've come across them not shipping a product outside the US.

15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Yes please, MOTO.
    Regarding ImportCDs, you can get around it by looking on Ebay for the seller ImportCDSAU.
    For some reason, the restriction doesn't apply there.

16. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I see that the iTunes versions of these albums are Mastered for iTunes. When they're made available can anyone confirm whether there are differences between these masterings and those on CD?

17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Are the individual albums available with the same artwork or do you have to buy the box for the 'Mini Vinyl' style Cd's etc ?

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Has anyone heard the unreleased song "Almost Shankara", which is a bonus track on the Wonderwall CD. How long is it? Is it the an outtake done by the Indian musicians? Is it similar to the other Indian pieces on the soundtrack?

Thanks, Arnie

theMess likes this.
  19. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I heard it was an early version of Whenever, Wherever. Almost Shakira...

20. daveidmarx

With a title like "Almost Shankara", it would be difficult to imagine it as anything other than an Indian tune, huh? Yes, it is an Indian tune, and it runs 5:00 (though the final five seconds or so are silent) and is in mono. It opens with George saying, "Almost Shankara, this is... take one", and the track begins. I would say it's quite similar to the other Indian pieces on the album. It begins as a sort of drone and the pace picks up about 1:35 into it. Hope this helps!

theMess likes this.
  21. daveidmarx

:tsk: That's just wrong, Paul! :p

theMess and Paul H like this.
  22. Miltos 1965

Miltos 1965 Member

Rev music in Adelaide $160

23. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

That would be so good if they did an AAA set of these.

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I didn't want to just presume that it was an Indian tune just because of the title. Thanks for verifying, and giving some of the other details. I look forward to hearing it.

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  25. Bootleghofner

Bootleghofner Forum Resident

What's that? No such thing on my DVD........................?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.