George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Yeah, George spoke about it a few times in different interviews. I'm not sure exactly when it would've been, but based on the way George describes it, it sounds like sometime in 1978/1979.

Starts around the 2:00 minute mark:

Starts at about 12:50:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5OLc6Wt0EQ

There's also a quote from an interview from the late 80's where he says something about how when he visited John he felt his eyes were pleading for help or something. I'll try and find it.

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

"Mystical One" would have been the perfect album opener, I think -- it's almost a revisit of "The Light That Has Lighted The World," but peppier ... "They say I'm not what I used to be..." / "I've heard how some people have said that I've changed..." etc. "Dream Away" is a great album closer -- unfortunately, the actual album closes with "Circles"! :sigh: Unfortunately, we don't have any extra tracks to work with to "improve" the album (like we do with Somewhere In England), so I hate to say it, but if I were WB I would have sent the Gone Troppo back to George and said, "Get rid of 'Baby Don't Run Away' and 'Circles' and give me two new songs." I think if you get rid of those two songs killing side 2, then you could live with some of the "novelty" or "not for everyone" tracks (like "Greece" or "I Really Love You").

3. Bubba Boy Sam

Bubba Boy Sam Forum Resident

You guys are just teasing me with all this boxset talk. Still waiting for my box delivery. Was "out for delivery" yesterday but in a zip code across town. So, I called USPS to inquire. After two tries, got somone who said I had to call the 20016 post office. Called there and was left on hold for 25 minutes. Hung up and called back and was told I'd have to talk to a supervisor. I asked to be transferred. No can do, I was told, because the supervisor wasn't there. When will the supervisor be in? Maybe in an hour, probably tomorrow, though. Just keep calling, I was told.

Teardrops, indeed. Or, maybe So Sad. Or why not, Be Here Now!!!

PS: Wouldn't be so bad if I had had my music fix last night. Bryan Ferry (of Roxy Music) cancelled last night's D.C. gig due to a throat infection. Waited years to see him again, too.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    theMess likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

The quote you are referring to is in Peter Doggett's book You Never Give Me Your Money: The Beatles After the Breakup, among other places I'm sure.

theMess and bewareofchairs like this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I love Crackerbox Palace. But I wouldn't want an album of Crackerbox Palaces. I got Gone Troppo as a Christmas gift a few years back. I also got Beggar's Banquet by the Stones. I figured, get 1 great, and get 1 that need for the complete collection!

6. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

The post office is totally worthless about inquiries. At best you'll get a canned speech about how they are not responsible about this or that yeah. yeah, yeah.

No wonder they lose billions every year. Their customer service sucks.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  7. Just read a review of the box on amazon. SomeONE says the 2014 ATMP remaster is no good and that the 2000 version is the way to go as it sound more like vinyl. You guys lied to me. Alla yooze. :disgust:

8. Glenn Christense

Yes I agree.
    In general John Paul George and Ringo ALL had Bermuda triangles of listless solo albums that sank at one time or another . I consider Gone Troppo one of them, but if others love it, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    It's fun to play point/counter point though.:D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    No Bull, theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  9. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Yes, that's right. It's also in Harrison, by the Editors of Rolling Stone.

theMess and Glenn Christense like this.
  10. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

The post office is a public service. It shouldn't have to make money, any more than a park or school should.

11. Blue Cactus

It was never intended to be a money maker but it does need to stay afloat. It won't do that losing billions.

theMess and Jerry Horne like this.
  12. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I have just walked into the Gone Troppo thread by mistake:p (love that album by the way and I am one of the few fans that got it on release day)

theMess and vince like this.
  13. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I disagree, it should be subsidized by the U.S. taxpayer the same way as all other public services are. The idea that it should be a business and try to make money is ludicrous in my opinion. It's that reasoning that has led us to the tragedy of for-profit schools and prisons.

14. Glenn Christense

Nah, I got it on release day also, so I've had plenty of time to ignore it.:p

Maidenpriest likes this.
  15. Blue Cactus

Start a thread in off-topic, call your congressman etc. This is a George Harrison thread and I've already gotten off the rails. Sorry 'bout that.

Now back to more of George.

theMess likes this.
  16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Me too! Same day as the John Lennon collection (in the States, anyway). I remember walking in to the store - Oar Folk, in Mpls - and scanning the lengthy "new release" wall. There was the Lennon disc! I thought George was out today, too (?) - hmm....

Must have gone across that display several times before I was finally able to recognize the new Harrison.

17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I too got it the week that it came out. There weren't many of us though. It was George's first album (not counting Electronic Sound) to fail to make the USA Billboard Top 100 LP charts, clocking in at only #108.

BUT I do wonder how many copies it sold? Back in the day, a #108 showing could be equal in sales to a present-day top 20 album.

Arnie

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Maybe not the first day, but I bought it the first week or so. I was very excited as I had just gotten into the Beatles that year, and this was the first album by any solo Beatle that I bought when it first came out. Very disappointed at the time but I would say I love at least most of the album now.

theMess and Maidenpriest like this.
  19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

According to this site, which I know we checked out in another thread awhile back, Troppo is around 200,000 US.

Btw, is there a good Troppo thread anyone wants to revive? I (deservedly) took some flak for getting OT with the Brainwashed cover a few pages back and so, despite how much I enjoy chatting about this stuff - I may have pangs (May Pangs?) of guilt if I continue to discuss it here...

theMess and heatherly like this.
  20. Maidenpriest

search my profile I did a huge Harrison Album by Album thread years ago :)

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Not bad at all over the long term. I wish that list broke down the sales by year though. That way we could see how much it sold in its first few weeks.

Here's the original Rolling Stone review of Gone Troppo from 1983:

"They say I'm not what I used to be/All the same/I'm happier than a willow tree," sings George Harrison in "Mystical One," a song from his new album, Gone Troppo. Well, it's great that George is happy, but he's right about his career: lately, he's made a much better movie financier than musician, and Gone Troppo — Harrison's version of a Jimmy Buffett album — isn't the record that will change things. So offhand and breezy as to be utterly insubstantial, the LP is made up of throwaway ditties, instrumental fragments and formulaic love songs. Tired of battling the temptations of the material world, Harrison sings about hanging out in the tropics (hence the title), sitting "mucho in a sunshine" and "counting de fruit bat." But with the exception of the jaunty "Wake Up My Love," writing de good song clearly wasn't on George's agenda.
    Even so, the same casual air that makes the record so lightweight also means it's more tolerable than most of his other outings. He still trips over his own earnest but muddled words when he tries to make a big statement, but for the most part, his singing is cheery and pleasant. Gone Troppo is passable stuff, though it's hardly a day at the beach.

Arnie

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  22. Maidenpriest

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/george-harrison-album-by-album-part-two.172784/

23. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I always thought George recorded Blood From A Clone and Teardrops just to pi$$ off Warner's, but it backfired on him. Both are decidedly upbeat, VERY poppy and have that smooth synth sound that dominated the charts in the era. Quite obviously Warner's thought both were potential hit singles since they were released on 45. It's not surprising George didn't promote either. The edited mono mix of Teardrops is a bit easier to take :). Many of us think Dream Away from Gone Troppo, had hit potential... and personally I think That's The Way It Goes might have been a hit if it was remixed (don't care much for the deep bass voice).

I actually like Somewhere In England quite a bit, always have. Yes, there's one Hoagy Carmichael song too many and the two best tracks from the original album (Flying Hour and Lay His Head) are infinitely superior to Blood From A Clone and Teardrops, but I like the rest of the album just fine, particularly, Unconsciousness Rules, Life Itself and Writing's On The Wall. Ron

anthontherun, Tord, JimC and 3 others like this.
  24. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

"My" Gone Troppo set includes his great take of Dylan's Abandoned Love. Yea, I know, it was recorded after the "Troppo" sessions. Fits the vibe though. I just wish a perfect-sounding outtake was available. That HAS to be on the next bootleg/rarities/early takes collection. Right Dhani?? Ron

IronWaffle and Paul H like this.
  25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Life itself is perhaps my favorite Of George's God songs, better than My Sweet Lord in both lyrics and music. IMHO, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.