George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I don't think dialogue remembered 30 years after the fact is meant to withstand this level of scrutiny. But no, I wouldn't expect someone who is already upset to be that precise in a conversation with a guy who knows who did what on the recording.

He says George introduced the piece by saying, "I want to play something for you that I did on synthesizer." He could reasonably feel George was misrepresenting the work as his even if the original performance had been substantially altered.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm quite happy with 2014 ATMP; love the packaging and the fact I can actually play it anywhere I go. I have the 2010 d/l and it sounds fab but my home office is the only room on the planet where I can enjoy it. Everybody wins!

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Somebody's feeling silly tonight! :agree:

theMess likes this.
  4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

For me, the 2014 Extra Texture just sounds more ALIVE than the 1991 -- even when level-matched -- with better bass and separation of instruments. There's more to great sound than a DR rating, imo...

supermd, theMess and Carserguev like this.
  5. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Mark, again this is going from vague 33 year old memories. My recollection is the sequencer modules allowed maybe 8-12 "notes" to be programed. How long they were depended on what duration speed was dialed in etc, and I believe it was possible to patch cords between the sequencers to make it sound like a longer passage. I would stand there while the tape was running and change the speeds, change the pitches on all of the different components that made up a Moog of that vintage, which would in its own way change how everything then played off of any other sounds patched through all of the other wave processors. I didn't usually like that regimented repetition so that's why I didn't let the setting stay the same for very long before I noodled with the pitches, speeds, what type of waveform (sine, sawtooth, square) was being used, all to dynamically change what was being produced at any given moment.

It could truly look like a bowl of spaghetti with all of the patch cords interwoven. The order that the cords were connected between output and input of each component could change the sounds dramatically. A Moog like that was a very complex instrument to learn, and I admit that in 3 semesters I can't say that I really "learned" the instrument. I played it more on feel and experimenting with interesting sounds rather than technically understanding all that I was doing with altering the different sound wave forms against each other.

I wish I could be of more help, but really that's about all I remember of it now. My last semester we had a newer unit in the studio too made by a different manufacturer, but it also used patch cords. I'm thinking it may have somehow been polyphonic, because my last two compositions I used my Stratocaster as the signal triggers instead of a keyboard or hand dialing changes into the instrument.

Mark Wilson and theMess like this.
  6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yeah, had a good day, off tomorrow, having fun hanging out here tonight.:D

theMess likes this.
  7. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Home I get this set for my birthday or Christmas!

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I guess I see nothing in his comments to suggest that he means the track is based on his work or uses parts of his work. He seems pretty clearly to me to be saying the track IS his work.

9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I agree that he's saying the track is his work. Where we apparently disagree is that I think Krause would consider it his work whether it was exactly what he recorded or whether it was altered substantially.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Love the interview with George on The Band " old hillbilly music ". :)

theMess likes this.
  11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Have you tried converting it to redbook and burning to CD? Sure, you lose the hi rez, but you get to keep all the mastering decisions.

12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I think in order to investigate Krause's claims, we need Dhani to release all the Electronic Sound outtakes

theMess likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, Glenn, if you are going to try to get into the artist's frame of mind at the time of recording, then here is what you need to do before listening to George's Apple Years box:

Wonderwall Music: Travel to India; walk barefoot 7 times around the Taj Mahal; and put posters of Ravi Shankar on your walls.
    Electronic Sound: Steal the recordings done by someone who is playing an instrument you know nothing about and then release them as your own.
    ATMP: Break up your band and get sued by one of your best friends.
    LITMW: Pretend that you are a prophet and are superior to the rest of the world.
    Dark Horse: Get laryngitis and sleep with the wife of another of your best friends.
    Extra Texture: Go to Los Angles and indulge in a month's worth of cocaine and booze.

That should handle the 6 albums in the box.

When you have completed them, we can move on to the Dark Horse Years. ;) Arnie

Vel, A Local Bloke, supermd and 7 others like this.
  14. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

So by that logic you can only listen to Brainwashed if you're dead, huh?

15. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.