George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

The mixes fall outside of the scope of what I'm hoping to do which is basically have the Anthology on steroids! I'd also do away with questionable edit decisions (that's right Shout, Not Guilty and You Know My Name... I'm talking to YOU!) by replacing them with superior versions (well, in the case of YKMN, I'd just re-edit the missing piece back into the Anthology version. I know it's been done before, but I never did get that version. So I'll do it meself! :)

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Damn, better start making other plans for my retirement. Maybe look into one of those k104 things.

3. daveidmarx

Yeah! Especially if you hope to tackle the solo LPs of Sir James Paul McCartney! Average prices:
    Unplugged: $50-
    Memory Almost Full: $60-
    Driving Rain: $160-
    Flaming Pie: $70-
    Wide Prairie: $75-
    Run Devil Run: $100-
    Twin Freaks: $50-
    Chaos And Creation: $160-
    Paul Is Live: $100-

And Fireman...
    StrawberriesOceansShipsForest: $120-
    Rushes: $225-

But who could put a price tag on the satisfaction you get when you have this?:
    [​IMG];)

Hep Alien, Evan L, theMess and 7 others like this.
  4. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Do we really care in the moment if he wanted or not wanted those songs to go out? Yoko has make an amazing job with the Lennon archive, not sure about Olivia.

5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I think they may have been more concerned with getting the "core catalog" in shape and on the shelves first. That does seem to be completed now. I think maybe the Scorsese film threw the reissues off schedule a bit, but how can you say no to Scorsese? Now that we have the Apple Box, Dark Horse box, Concert for Bangladesh, and the Wilburys box, it's time for the unreleased stuff!

milton333, davenav and IronWaffle like this.
  6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

It would also be cool to get some of the other rarities re-released though, eg. Flying Hour, Sat Singing and Lay His Head.

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

More power to ya! Personally, if I were to re-do the Anthology (and I will, someday!), I'd actually make it a proper "soundtrack album" to the Anthology film, and not just a collection of outtakes. That's would be where I'd use all the video-only remixes; and then only the best-of-the-best of the outtakes would fill it out. Then there would be a "Recording Sessions" (or some similar name) series of CDs with the other outtakes. Someday.....

theMess and daveidmarx like this.
  8. Sean Murdock

I feel it should be pointed out that by 1993 (13 years after John's death, same point we're at now with George), Yoko had only released Milk And Honey (1984), Live In NYC (1986), Menlove Avenue (1986), and the Imagine: John Lennon soundtrack (1988). The total amount of unreleased material in these wasn't THAT much more than what we've gotten from George's estate in the same amount of time. Yes, we got the Lost Lennon Tapes -- which, let's face it, only put us in the position of having to buy a ton of bootleg LPs. Yoko was under some heavy fan fire for handling John's legacy BADLY back then; the real bonanza didn't happen for a full 18 years after he died (The Lennon Anthology box). So yeah, it does pay to be patient.

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Yep. And I bought the Dark Horse lp when it came out. I do like Hari's on Tour, though.

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I've got all those.
    :pineapple:
    And all those, too!
    :bdance:
    [nice pic, btw!]

theMess, heatherly and daveidmarx like this.
  11. Sean Murdock

Totally agree -- George needed some kind of "Past Masters" disc to collect all his strays. I've been trying to compile a comprehensive list of all of George's non-LP rarities (similar to daveidmarx's, although I don't delve into all the single edits), and I have a sub-list of officially released but OOP (or not available on CD) tracks. You could put this out on one or two CDs and make George's fans VERY happy:

01. While My Guitar Gently Weeps [demo] (DVD) (1:02) Living In The Material World FILM [DVD; partial with dialogue -- official release would be complete]
    02. Isn't It a Pity [demo] (2:59) Let It Roll - Songs Of George Harrison [iTunes bonus track]
    03. My Sweet Lord [single mix] (4:33) My Sweet Lord [original single]
    04. Sue Me, Sue You Blues [demo] (3:03) Living In The Material World ALBUM [DVD bonus track]
    05. Miss O'Dell [alternate] (2:31) Living In The Material World ALBUM [DVD bonus track]
    06. Hari's On Tour (Express) [Live 1974] (4:53) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 2 [Genesis EP]
    07. For You Blue [Live 1974] (4:14) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 1 [Genesis EP]
    08. Learning How To Love You [early mix] (4:15) Thirty Three & 1/3 [iTunes bonus track]
    09. Mo (4:54) Mo's Songs (limited release box set, 1994)
    10. Blow Away [demo] (3:07) George Harrison [iTunes edition]
    11. Life Itself [demo] (4:25) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 2 [Genesis EP]
    12. Flying Hour [remix] (4:37) Somewhere In England [iTunes bonus track]
    13. Sat Singing [remix] (4:29) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 1 [Genesis EP]
    14. Lay His Head [remix] (3:54) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 1 [Genesis EP]
    15. Save The World [alternate version] (4:57) Greenpeace charity album, 1985
    16. I Don't Want To Do It (2:52) Porky's Revenge (single mix)
    17. Hottest Gong In Town (3:39) Songs By George Harrison Vol. 2 [Genesis EP]
    18. Ride Rajbun (4:58) The Bunbury Tails soundtrack album
    19. That's The Way It Goes [Jeff Lynne remix] (3:32) When We Was Fab [CD single]
    20. When We Was Fab [Reverse End] (5:18) When We Was Fab [CD single]
    21. Poor Little Girl (4:34) Best of Dark Horse, 1976-1989
    22. Cockamamie Business (5:17) Best of Dark Horse, 1976-1989
    23. This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying (4:03) 70's Unreleased Album Roughs (2006 mix)
    24. Distance Makes No Difference With Love (4:13) Go Cat Go! [Carl Perkins]

Even though it's still in print, you could add "Horse To The Water" as the final track -- it's never been on a George CD.

12. daveidmarx

Thanks! BTW, whenever I see that dancing banana, I always think of Brian Griffin:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    sweetdudejim and heatherly like this.
  13. Sean Murdock

WOW -- that's really what Macca vinyl goes for these days? I'm not obsessive about collecting vinyl, but I've got about half of these. I'm sitting on a gold mine!

14. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

I'm glad you aren't sitting on an oil well. That could be... awkward.

On topic(ish): I have Lay His Head as a b-side on a "cassingle" and it's been so long since I heard it I don't remember how it goes anymore. I've repeatedly hoped it would find it's way on to CD.

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Sean, I'm printing out your wonderful list of 25 songs (the 24 on the list plus Horse To The Water) and am sending it off via postal mail to "Olivia Harrison, Friar Park, Henley-on-Thames, UK". I'm not even going to say anything in the letter except "Release this next. I'll be back again in touch in 2015 with another list. Your secret compiler..."

;) Arnie

milton333, Hep Alien, theMess and 4 others like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

theMess likes this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Yes, "Lay His Head" was (oddly) the b-side to "Got My Mind Set On You" in 1987. It's a damn shame it's never been on an official George CD.

anthontherun, theMess and Mainspark like this.
  18. mrjinks

It snuck out on a Japanese 3" cd-single or something goofy like that.
    EDIT: Yours for a mere $99 on ebay...
    [​IMG]

19. Bubba Boy Sam

Bubba Boy Sam Forum Resident

Since the group is making significant progress compiling George's work, I have another project in mind.

How about a disc consisting of solely of material he'd co-written with others? I'd start with The Holdup - co-written with David Bromberg on the 1974 LP Wanted Dead or Alive.

Other suggestions?

20. Sean Murdock

Wow, another extreme obscurity from the Harrison catalog. Thanks for that -- although I still say it deserves a proper CD release.

Somewhat related (to outrageous eBay prices) -- I was recently in the running for a "Bunbury Tails" CD; I have "Ride Rajbun" on a boot, but like a good little Harrifan, I decided it was time to own it properly. I was willing to go as high as $75, but the auction finally ended (without me) at $107. Too rich for my blood, and it underscores how badly we need an official "George Rarities" set.

21. mrjinks

I got mine a few years ago. Can't remember what I paid (which is probably good), but I probably didn't go much higher than your max bid. Keep trying. :)

Sean Murdock likes this.
  22. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Do I have to go through my archives to find a spare copy??? No promises, but I MIGHT have one laying about.... somewhere. I'll PM ya later. Ron

theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  23. daveidmarx

I picked this baby up in 1990 or so for about $15-! Lay His Head is also on The Songs Of George Harrison Vol. 1 book/cd, but THAT little baby will set you back at least a grand!

pablo fanques and mrjinks like this.
  24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I really like the idea of a "soundtrack album" for Anthology, collecting all the songs that they featured just bits and pieces of. They really left a lot off the official set.

theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  25. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Got it for €35 (yes, €35 for the double LP version of "Rushes"!) at our local Beatles Day 10 days ago!
    I'll be forever grateful to a friend who knew I still hadn't it but who had arrived earler than me and was willing to buy it for me so that I wouldn't miss it.

Otherwise, this is absolutely insane: http://www.popsike.com/BEATLESMcCAR...UTHNO-TMOQRSDSEALEDCOLORBOX/121254598877.html

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    daveidmarx and mrjinks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.