George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

That's just wrong (whether or not it is factual).
    But I guess she figures Paul won't sue.

theMess likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have a CD of it somewhere, and although I may be recalling incorrectly, neither that CD or the DVD that was released around that time sounded quite right. On the original video and Laser Disc of that show, the Echo and "twangy" sound of George's hollow-body Gretsch almost dominates the music. I would include everything with his guitar playing on a bonus blu-ray or something.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I found this video of Harrison, Clapton and the band arriving on the bullet train to Hiroshima, just together with the rest of the commuters, and no one really bothers them even though I am sure people knew who he was. It's pretty amazing. I'm trying to imagine the whole band arriving at Paddington Station like that.

milton333 and theMess like this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yoko called Paul on the phone. She asked Paul if he would mind if she took his name off the songwriting credits of "Give Peace A Chance" and that she would replace his name with hers. Paul said "sure, go ahead".

A week later, Paul called Yoko. Paul asked her if she would mind if he could reverse the songwriting credits of "Yesterday" to McCartney/Lennon (instead of Lennon/McCartney). Yoko said: "No!"

End of story (fictional but based on truth) ...

;) Arnie

theMess and PhoffiFozz like this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I honestly think that whole vanishing (Mc) credit on GPAC is very intriguing. It makes me wonder if they made some sort of "agreement" to remove the Mc for ____? Sometimes the publishing stuff is just mysterious. Didn't "Love Me Do" get credited to MPL AND LenOno music on the Anthology? And then the LenOno credit vanished later? Perhaps I mis-remember, but I may have to look at A1 at lunchtime...

Sorry to get sidetracked on an OT tangent! :tsk:

6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I just ordered the cd! I will only use songs that have George on vocals otherwise it turns into a guest appearance compilation and I'm trying to keep it focused. Three exceptions are a) In The First Place, b) Dispute And Violence, and c) Distance Makes No Difference With Love. For a & b, they were already released as bonus cuts on a George release and have heavy involvement from him anyway. For Distance, George wrote the song and plays that gorgeous guitar over it. To me, it's a George song with a guest vocalist so it's included.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  7. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Ha, exactly my point!

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That's exactly how I see "Distance Makes No Difference" -- the whole track is so "George" that it doesn't matter who sings lead. (George is on backing vocals, so it's not like he's not heard at all.) Actually, if you can include this song for this reasoning, you could include Eric Clapton's cover of "Run So Far" -- which George practically duets on, and plays some great guitar. I actually prefer this version to the Brainwashed demo -- VERY strong "George" vibe. It's actually kinda out of place on Journeyman...

There's also the Jim Capaldi track from the mid-1990s "Love's Got A Hold On Me" -- similar situation, with George singing and playing guitar on it. It's on the Dear Mr. Fantasy box set. I don't think George wrote that one, though, so it would be more of a "guest spot" than a "George track."

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Would you count Day After Day by Badfinger as well? It was produced by George, has slide guitar parts done by George and to me it feels a lot like a George track too.

11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Ah, I see a youtube upload is now considered an "official" release! Thanks, Ray:)

12. Sean Murdock

It does feel very much like an early-70s George track, but he didn't write it, so I guess I would classify it more as a "guest spot" than a "George track." Even though his fingers are all over it, it's obviously a Badfinger track. I'd say the same thing about Billy Preston's versions of George songs, despite George having written, produced and performed on them. Same thing with "Sour Milk Sea" -- although if that exists somewhere with a studio guide vocal by George, that would obviously make it a "lost White Album" track for me.

daveidmarx likes this.
  13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

14. Sean Murdock

15. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

If you have a US stock 45 of either Drowning In The Sea Of Love by Ringo or Road To Nowhere by Trash and would like to unload them, I'd be happy to help!

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Ok, I'll veer OT into this sea one more time - if there's a good thread on this stuff, someone feel free to point me there (I'll admit to being afraid to search threads with "Love Me Do" in them)...

Sure enough, my (US) Anthology 1 cd lists "Love Me Do" with a publishing credit to both MPL and LenOno music. So I pulled out my (US 2000) "1" cd and what does it say? "Track 1 1962 EMI Blackwood Music o/b/o Lenono Music (BMI) / Beechwood Music Corp. (BMI)". No mention of MPL whatsoever (?). Yet my 2000 (imported) vinyl copy lists MPL with no mention of Lenono Music. And my (US) remastered "1" does the same. :confused:

Fwiw, looking through the rest of the "1" cd brings up some other puzzling credits. Whereas the new disc credits the above to MPL and "Something" to Harrisongs, with all the remaining tracks to Sony, the original cd issue has these differences:
    • (c) 1963 Gil Music Corp. (BMI) - From Me To You & She Loves You
    • (c) 1963 Songs of Universal, Inc. (BMI) - I Want To Hold Your Hand
    And perhaps most puzzling of all:
    • (c) 1967 Catherine Holmes A'Court (BMI) (administered by Sony/ATV Tunes LLC) (ASCAP) - Penny Lane
    :wtf:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    theMess, PH416156 and Rob Hughes like this.
  17. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

BTW Sean, you realize you can never change your avatar. It's too perfect!!

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  18. Arnold Grove

"Penny Lane" is a very interesting anomaly. When the Beatles song publishing rights were sold by ATV to Michael Jackson in 1985, Penny Lane was NOT included. That song turned out to be the favorite Beatles song of the daughter of the guy (Robert Holmes) running ATV. He told his daughter, who was 16 at the time, that she could have the rights to any 1 song she wanted as a gift. He suggested that she pick "Yesterday", as that was the biggest earner money-wise, but she stuck to her favorite: "Penny Lane". And she (Catherine Holmes) still owns the publishing for it.

Arnie

IronWaffle, theMess, supermd and 7 others like this.
  19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

But George didn't write it. Carl Perkins did.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  20. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I can imagine how annoyed the guy must have been that his daughter didn't want Yesterday...

Yorick and theMess like this.
  21. Arnold Grove

I wonder how he would have felt if she picked "Hey Bulldog". Now that would have been super-cool on the daughter's part, but the dad may then have decided to give her 2 songs!!

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Daddy, I want Hey Bulldog and Revolution 9...

Yorick, theMess and supermd like this.
  23. Arnold Grove

They're not "Yesterday" or "In My Life" or "Let It Be", of course, but even those songs that you mentioned (Hey Bulldog and Revolution 9), as part of huge selling albums, must still generate a good amount of coin. Ohh, to own just 1 Beatle song. I could retire tomorrow on its revenue alone.

Arnie

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Daddy, I want "Penny Lane", and I want it NOW!

25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

She's got taste.

I wonder what I would ask for if I could get one...I don't think I could help myself. I'd ask daddy for Get Back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.