George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

"Daddy, I want If You've Got Trouble".

Yorick and theMess like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You're gonna be in trouble if you pick "If You've Got Trouble". ;) Arnie

supermd and theMess like this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Thanks! That was a new-to-me Beatle related story (that doesn't happen every day). Care to try your hand at the appearing/vanishing MPL/Lenono credits in Love Me Do?

4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Hmm, right you are. That kind of screws up my whole criteria for considering it a "George" track. Well, in that case, let me add this -- there are no shortage of George tracks from the early 1970s, so I guess I never felt the need to add any to the canon (Lomax, Preston, Badfinger, et al.). But in the late-1990s, anything with George's involvement was a precious gem -- so I guess "Distance Makes No Difference" just kind of "imprinted" itself on me as a George song. Even now that I'm reminded that it isn't, it's hard to picture it otherwise.

5. Arnold Grove

The only thing that I can think of is that different countries may assign the publishing rights to different entities. So maybe in the UK it's assigned to MPL, but in the USA it's assigned to Lenono. But that's still a vague answer, because why is that the case? Any experts on publishing rights here?

Arnie

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Not trying to put you on the spot - or completely derail this thread - but if you note the examples I posted above Love Me Do flops all over the place, just on the US publishing. It was MPL for years, then suddenly it was MPL/Lenono on Anthology 1. Then on "1", there's no mention of MPL at all. Then on the remasters, there's no mention of Lenono at all. Bizarre.

I'd heard Yoko & Paul had a deal to have joint publishing on LMD in exchange for Yoko providing the Anthology Lennon demos (no idea if that's true). Maybe that really did happen and then maybe Paul got LMD back exclusively in exchange for giving up his credit on Give Peace A Chance? If we really want to speculate, that might explain a few things at once...

JimC likes this.
  7. Arnold Grove

That could be. It gets pretty complicated.

And speaking of complicated, and bringing it back to George: So George (or his estate) owns the rights to "He's So Fine". Very interesting how it all worked out.

Arnie

IronWaffle and Haristar like this.
  8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Doop!! I never checked the credits and just assumed it was a George composition because it just sounds so George. I'd include Run So Far by Clapton as well but there's no space for another track. But is that track credited to both George and Eric? If not, that's another important distinction as Distance is credited to Carl AND George.

9. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I would have my heart set on owning Cayenne or You'll Be Mine. :D

10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Everybody know the money is in "Brian Epstein: Speech".

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

You have scraped through the barrel with that one. :D

supermd likes this.
  12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I would actually quite like to own the "We were four guys..." bit.

13. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I would love to have an official "Harrison Anthology" boxed set of outtakes, but perhaps the record company is not sure it would generate a high amount of sales?

GV1967 likes this.
  14. daveidmarx

"...which was becoming a Beatle drink even then!"

905 likes this.
  15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Lavish box sets of artists far more obscure than George Harrison have been released in recent years; I have no doubt that Olivia and Dhani could get one done if they wanted to.

JimC and Pawnmower like this.
  16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

$91.57 at Amazon Canada right now.
    Equivalent of approx $81.50 USD

17. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Agreed.

There seems to be some reticence on their part for some reason, although Olivia has been expressing a more positive view lately so you never know.

18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Problem with George is, he has so many great parts on other folks songs. Like his beautiful solo on Belinda Carlisle's song Leave A Light On For Me. That is something that no George fan should go without hearing!

905, JimC, DmitriKaramazov and 2 others like this.
  19. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

FWIW, according to Eight Arms to Hold You, the single mix of "Give Me Love" runs slightly faster than the album version...but it's only noticeable if you play them simultaneously.

20. daveidmarx

Yeah, I've seen that. Same with "Coming Up". Everyone has their idea of what's worth including or not. For example, some may not care for promo edits, while others do. As for me, a speed difference that is so subtle one needs to play the two simultaneously to even notice, goes beyond a true variant. After all, to listen to that "White Album x 100" piece by Chang that has 100 copies of the White Album playing simultaneously, it's evident that speed fluctuations can and do happen even when they are not intended as the speeds of the various copies of the record used were certainly not identical. I certainly wouldn't classify any of those as variants either. Nor would I classify the German pressing of Band On The Run, which is noticeably faster than other copies, as a true variant.

GV1967 likes this.
  21. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

I'd pick 'Can You Take Me Back'...

theMess likes this.
  22. daveidmarx

There's definitely a "Guest Appearances" compilation that's dying to be made. This is not an area where I'm too knowledgeable so I'll leave it to someone else to come up with a tracklist.

23. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Here's a list of GH for others:
    http://bekkoame.ne.jp/~garp/hari/goff1980.htm

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Just "Spot The Loony". ;)

daveidmarx likes this.
  25. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

That's a great list, but I did spot one error. Games People Play is not a Troy/Harrison/Starkey/Stills composition, it should be Gonna Get My Baby Back instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.