George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I heard of that one. Would you say it's comprehensive?

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Out of all of George's guest appearances on others records, playing on Cheech and Chongs "Basketball Jones"still towers above all the others for zaniness IMO.:D

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, at least that's accurate, since unlike most songs, we know how it was written. Always wondered why it was credited to McCartney since it was a non-Beatles track written in bed by John and Yoko in front of the whole world.
    There is a great interview of George and Eric Clapton during their tour of Japan. It only broadcast in Japan, so I'm not sure others have seen it. Basically, the reporter asks Eric what he likes about George's guitar playing and Eric talks about George's slide. He then mentions that he heard a track on the radio with a slide guitar solo that he thought sounded just like George; George then mentions that he's done a solo for "some red haired girl" and struggles to remember her name; Clapton realizes it must have been George, then finally remembers the name "Belinda Carlisle?" and George says "Yes, that's her!"

Great stuff. Those interviews for Japan TV are wonderful, but they get long when you don't understand the Japanese questions. My favorite moments are George explaining how "Something" wasn't written for Patti, and Clapton expressing surprise (and laughing when George says that Clapton wrote "Wonderful Tonight" for his accountant, Ed Rogers, or something like that), and the "buzz" in the room when George tells reporters that he'll be playing "Roll over Beethoven" for the first time since 1966.

4. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

here it is

heatherly, theMess and IronWaffle like this.
  5. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Oooo just got a Barnes and Noble 20% off coupon in my inbox, maybe now is the time to grab this box!

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Pretty close.

7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Whoa... Outstanding!

8. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

That would bring it down to $90. Then I looked at the price of just buying all of the albums minus ATMP since I have the 2010 24 bit download. Each album individually minus that is only $60, so for all of you who have this...is the DVD and an extra...not as good sounding copy of ATMP worth an extra $30...the problem is that I have the other box set and the collector in me says that they would look great together...

heatherly likes this.
  9. Mmmmm? I wasn't all that taken by it. The tune is O.K and typical 80's in sound but the guitar solo is straight out of the 70's and while not bad in itself it doesn't sound like it belongs IMO.

10. Skywheel

Skywheel Forum Resident

Maybe this will help on the "guest appearances question". I collect solo Beatles compositions and label credits.
    I don't collect them as backing musicians or singers.
    By label credit I mean like Billy Preston's credit on the Get back 45 label. Or Paul's credit on the Johnny Cash track New Moon Over Jamaica.
    Now with CD's it gets a little more difficult since there's so little room for extras on the "label". Take Paul's credit on the recent Eric Clapton
    release Old Sock. For All of Me I couldn't find any credits on the cover but the promo single has "featuring Paul McCartney". So, yes,
    that goes in my collection.
    (Perversely though, it's the promo I want not the full CD. Unless someone can tell me if there is a "featuring... " credit inside the regular CD. )

So I hope my personal criteria helps a bit.

For compositions I just need one version of the song. Oddly my version of Fame isn't by Bowie
    (who I have no taste for) but a green vinyl 12" from Japan of Duran Duran doing the song.

11. daveidmarx

I guess everyone sets their own "rules" for what they collect in an effort to keep some sense of order to their collection. I can certainly understand that. The honest reason why I didn't include Clapton's version of Run So Far is that I never actually heard it! :hide: I know, I know... I'm listening to it for the first time as I type this and while it's more of an Eric song, with George writing AND playing and singing on it, I suppose it needs to be included somehow. I guess I'll have to jettison George Plays The Uke (which to me sounds like George's version of It's Real, which closes the Lennon Anthology) to make room. It should just fit. BTW, I just finished editing all the musical cues of Breath Away From Heaven from Shanghai Surprise into a coherent song. Talk about a thankless task! :drool: I tried to cut out as much of the inane dialogue as I could but some remains. Later I'll tackle Someplace Else. At least with that song there's a bunch of it included on The Dark Horse Years DVD that I'll be able to take from. Once the Perkins and Prince's Trust CDs arrive from their respective sellers, I will be able to put this sucker to bed! And then it'll be on to gather up Ringo's Rarities!

joeislive and theMess like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If you need make more space, you could take off the "In The First Place" track (which you have twice on your list: the film mix and the Abbey Road mix). I know you are including it because the song was included as a bonus track on a solo George CD (Wonderwall), BUT the song was only produced by George. He didn't write it, and he is not playing on it either (there could be a small chance that he is indeed playing on it, but this is guesswork and he isn't noticeable in any obvious way). So that song could maybe be moved to those other type of homemade CD compilations where George is featured in a supporting role.

Regardless of where you put it, I really like the song a lot.

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  13. daveidmarx

Removing In The First Place wouldn't help much as it's all the way on disc one and then everything would have to shift accordingly (I'm a stickler for this kinda crap! :)). I like the CD breaks where they are as they each have a self-contained "era" (with the minor exception of Ride Rajbun). To clear up space to fit RSF, it would have to come from disc three, and George Plays The Uke fits the bill perfectly. It's only 1:37, but the disc runs at 77:17, so its removal will drop the disc time down to 75:40 which gives me just enough space to squeeze on the 4:07 Run So Far! :righton:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  14. daveidmarx

Another observation about In The First Place... George may not play on it, but the same could be said about most on Wonderwall! Besides, the song SOUNDS like a Wonderwall outtake which is the main reason (along with the other reasons) why I'm including it!

theMess likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

However, George did write the tunes on the Wonderwall soundtrack; it was released as a George solo album; and he does probably play a bit on the "western"-style tracks (although nothing obvious). "In The First Place" was only produced by George (although it sounds like a George track, as you say).

Of course, it's your CD to make, so you are in charge. And it is a great list.

Arnie

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's great. It's so nice to have these late period interviews available. He seems pretty happy here. It's nice that they both know Belinda Carlisle (even if they can't remember her name at first). Putting aside her talents, I always felt Belinda was a true fan of 60's rock, who actually knew her stuff. I saw her live a year or so ago, and she played that song, with the Harrison solo pretty much intact, note for note. I thought that was a nice gesture. Paul tends to do the same thing with George's solos.

theMess and Shak Cohen like this.
  17. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

George also appears on the Runaway Horses track "Deep Deep Ocean", playing Six String Bass, 12-string guitars and another slide solo:

nowhereman87 and theMess like this.
  18. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I didn't have any rules; it seemed to me that when I started collecting all things Fabs-related in the late '70s that you either collected everything or nothing. ''Order'' ? - In my dreams...............

19. daveidmarx

My living space does not permit acquiring everything (nor does my bank account, for that matter). So some semblance of order needs to be imposed otherwise it's chaos and disorder!

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I haven't kept up with this thread for a while. Have people been happy with this version of 'ATMP'? I had a chance to listen to it today. I found it to have no high end and mid-bass heavy. I went back to the 2001 and find it far better. Others?

21. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

There are definitely a few others that feel the way you do, but the vast majority seem prefer 2014 over the 2001.

There are also a minority of about the same size who prefer the late 80's Japan-only cd over either.

Then there is the 2010 download "wild card". It's really hard to pin down just how many of the people above have access to it.

But of those that do, a significant (though not quite vast) majority prefer it over the three aforementioned...

22. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

I've been watching the price drop on amazon for this box set little by little. I wrote an email to amazon politely asking them about their policy regarding refunds post purchase where the price goes down. Well, without really answering my question, they sent a reply with notice of a refund of $10.66, bringing the price minus sales tax for me down to between $96-97 where I originally purchased it pre-sales tax for $105.98 (free shipping as well). This refund includes calculating sales tax as part.

I know not everyone is happy with every retailer. Hell, we all come across bad retailing at some point with products overall. Of course, my pleasant experience cannot equal someone's bad experience. So, today was a good day here.

23. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Did he need the money or was he hittin that?
    ;)

24. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

When I heard this song was being added to the Wonderwall re-issue I was a bit peeved tbh, I understand why it merited inclusion, but couldn't see the point of it being on a George Harrison CD, however, since purchasing the said CD I've found it works perfectly following on from Singing Om, even more so than Almost Shankara & The Inner Light .

daveidmarx likes this.
  25. daveidmarx

Here's the link to my Expanded Anthology track listing:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-beatles-anthology-cds-expanded-editions.389480/

Hep Alien likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.