George Harrison - The Apple Years box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Please don't bring that banjo back, I know where it's been.

theMess likes this.
  2. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I'm not finding any signs of an ATMP 24/96 download on his website. CD, yes, MP3, yes. Is it hidden in some category that doesn't make sense? I was thinking maybe the mp3 page would have it listed as one of the format options, but, nope!

3. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Been looking though 11 pages. Can not find a release date anywhere. Does anybody know? Thanks.

4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

September 22, according to AllMusic.

But that should be considered unconfirmed until we get an official announcement.

Millington and theMess like this.
  5. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Im getting really excited about the boxset, but I have to say the truth to you all, especially about the DVD part, we can't expect much... like the whole concert of the 74 tour, thats not going to happen. I think it will probably have What Is Life and Dark Horse(the two snippets of the concert that appear on the LTMW doc) on the DVD, maybe some live in Japan footage too(Give Me Love, maybe some track from ATMP), but thats it...and Ding Dong video(True Love video is from 1976 right?) Olivia said in 2012 in one interview with MOJO I think, that she DIDNT want to put the Dark Horse tour footage on the Living In Material World documentary... she almoust ruined the doc, the best part of the film its that little footage they put there of What is Life and Dark Horse... But lets wait, maybe Dhani could make us really happy and satisfied

6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Like many of us here - heck, like most of us here - I am always excited to hear of a new release of George's material.

However, I am not optimistic about a lot of bonus material - let alone "new" previously-unheard tracks - given the miserly track record, as summarized above. The beautiful Dark Horse Years box had a whopping total of 6 bonus tracks across 6 albums - only 3 of which were truly "new" and previously-unreleased demos. But aside from truly new, there was an abundance of fully-produced, some previously-released tracks begging to be collected together - "Mo", three of the 4 lost "Somewhere" tracks, the 2 "Best of Dark Horse" orphans - that were not included. "Living in the Material World" had 2 B-sides as the bonus tracks - good to have, but was that the best they could do?

A great concert video could be made available for each of the collections, but instead we get dribs and drabs. And I know they want to hold some stuff for a set of out-takes, alternates and demos, but c'mon - let's get on with it already. The basic demos are nice, but isn't there a wealth of nicely-produced overdubbed tracks that have yet to see the light of day?

So I am looking forward to picking this up, knowing that I will basically be paying premium for 3 "new" CD's (Wonderwall, remastered Dark Horse, remastered Extra Texture) and likely a bare handful of bonus tracks.

But who knows, maybe Dhani will surprise and delight us.

theMess, She is anyway and PhoffiFozz like this.
  7. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

The 24 bit download was available to purchasers of the All Things Must Pass for a limited time (just like the 24 bit downloads of the deluxe McCartney albums). It is magnificent and is the "go to" version of the album. However, it's unfortunately no longer available. Hopefully, they'll make it available again with the release of this new set along with 24 bit downloads of all of George's Apple albums.

theMess likes this.
  8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

The fact remains that apart from the All Things Must Pass era, there really wasn't a lot of material to include as bonus tracks, once George got to the Friar Park studio (apart from recording Extra Texture in LA) he didn't appear to be recording prolific amounts of sessions or tunes. The Blow Away demo was a nice surprise. There was a lot of appropriate bonus material for 'Material World' included on that re-release package, but don't expect much for the rest of the 70's. I don't think the family is necessarily 'milking' it, rather just making the most of slim pickings (for the 70's and early 80's at least). Plus, the Japan concerts, while being well performed and 'professional', were really uninteresting in retrospect (apart from seeing George play slide live). The big lost opportunity was not pro filming and recording the London gig - which was clearly a much more organic and spontaneous performance. Apart from the awful voice in 74 I look much more forward to seeing that footage.

9. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

Maybe, just maybe the reason George's performance of If Not For You was excluded from the recent Bob Dylan 30th anniversary DVD is because the Harrison camp are going to use it on one of their own releases. Maybe the DVD with this box.

vitorbastos123 and theMess like this.
  10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Personally, I think its outrageous that his estate hasn't published a release schedule for the remainder of his archive of unreleased material; a programme of releases for the next five or so years so that we know what's coming and can hold Olivia and Dhani to account if the schedule slips... :)

Rob Hughes, theMess and She is anyway like this.
  11. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I find this old post/topic to be pretty interesting and relevant. Emphasis added.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/my-encounter-w-dhani-harrison-about-george.180760/

And here are a couple of additional very interesting related topics...

The Mystery Of George Harrison's "Valentine"
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-mystery-of-george-harrisons-valentine.292776/

Dhani Harrison says no George Rarities Box Set to be issued
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-george-rarities-box-set-to-be-issued.178522/

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    IronWaffle and theMess like this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

While I know that many people on here have heard lots of unreleased material (I have not) and get upset (unfairly) when an artist officially releases something they already have in their bootleg collections, I think we can all agree that we would like to have an official release of that demo of "Dark Horse" with George's voice in top form.

13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Been jumping around in this thread, forgive me if this has been mentioned. In Dhani's pic there is something that looks like a test pressing cd propped up against the George Yellow Sub cutout. I've had some U.S. test pressings that came in plain white cardboard with a printed label with song titles and credits. Can anybody zoom in on that? Might be able to make out some info re tracklisting.

JimC and She is anyway like this.
  14. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Totally agree. In my "hanging out with a Beatle" fantasy, when they give me grief about all the bootlegs, I tell 'em "Hey, put it out and I'll buy it again!" CD, vinyl. For god's sake Ringo I bought the damn USB wristband! Oops, didn't mean to type all that.:help:

theMess likes this.
  15. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I didn't even know that it existed. Now I am even more excited.

She is anyway likes this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I noticed that as well, but given the limited size of the overall photo, it will literally be impossible to read any information off it.

forthlin likes this.
  17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks for posting, that is a very interesting comment. It seems like George has the most exciting, never-heard even by bootleggers material of any of the 4 Beatles, and also like Dhani does want to release it. I am hopeful that we will get some nice surprises on this box-set.

She is anyway and Naughty Chord like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Dhani, at least posted something using Social media...it beats what major labels communicate from George ' s catalog.

We all here can only hope, and pray this Apple Box may go a bit further to feature unreleased material!!!

theMess likes this.
  19. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's easily found on YouTube. Listen to it!!

theMess likes this.
  20. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

We have reasons to be more optimistic this time around. For one, Universal couldn't be any worse than EMI, so there is some chance they will be more amenable to George's treasure trove.

Second, Giles Martin already cataloged George's tapes at least through the Living in the Material World (album) era. That work was already paid for in relation to the Scorsese documentary. It also seems likely that he may have mixed more tracks for possible inclusion in it than were released on Early Takes 1. With Giles' and the Harrisons' working relationship and operating mode now established, it's not unreasonable to think he could have found a few days to help with Dark Horse and Extra Texture era material, making relatively quick progress to find some more release-worthy gems.

In other words, there should be a real head start on rare material this time around. It's somewhat hard to imagine Universal being a blockade on unreleased material given all this. If it's true that Dhani and O want the stuff out, maybe this box set was their way to make it happen; at least for the Apple years. There seems to be no reason why we couldn't have potentially a full disc of unreleased goodies from this era. And Early Takes 2 and 3 could eventually pick up where the Apple Years leaves off, mining Dark Horse era stuff.

21. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks!

22. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

23. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Hope it's in a similar box as the other one so they look good side-by-side.

theMess likes this.
  24. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Thanks again, I have listened to it and I love it.

supermd likes this.
  25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.