George Harrison - The Apple Years box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Here's how I would like it -

Disc 1 - Wonderwall + bonus tracks
    Disc 2 - Electronic Sounds + bonus tracks
    Disc 3 - ATMP (First 4 sides of ATMP)
    Disc 4 - Apple Jam tracks (~30 min) + session demos/outtakes
    Disc 5 & 6 - Concert for Bangladesh (~100 min) + bonus live tracks including the charity single
    Disc 7 - LITMW + bonus tracks
    Disc 8 - Dark Horse + bonus tracks including 1974 live tracks.
    Disc 9 - Extra Texture + bonus tracks
    Disc 10 - Bonus DVD (includes all Apple era promo videos and some footage from 1974 tour)

That would make a nice 10 disc set. I don't know what to expect for bonus tracks though - will we get new session demo/outtakes or will those be saved for future volumes for Early Takes (or have they given up on that)?

2. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the Dark Horse years box set is OOP? Amazon is out of stock, and Bull Moose lists it as "Rare Item - We will try to get it for you"
    Is it out of print? And if so, do you think they'll be printing more with the new box coming out?

3. Calico

Calico Senior Member

That's what he did with all of the aforementioned songs.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Although I don't know, I assume it would be out of print in anticipation of the box and stand alone remaster. Sames goes for Extra Texture.

5. jordanlolss

I would think that many people are going to be interested in the Dark Horse box with the announcement of the Apple Years box set.. they should get on that

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I believe jordanloss means the Dark Horse Years box set, not the album Dark Horse.

I was thinking along the same lines. I never got this box, but I may in the near future just to have two boxes with his entire catalog.

She is anyway and jordanlolss like this.
  7. jordanlolss

I'm in the same situation.. I was just looking around for a good price because I figured I should get it to have the pair, but I can't find it anywhere, except eBay..

8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Keep watching Amazon. It shows up from third party sellers and the price fluctuates quite a bit. I've seen it go as low as around $65-$75 than back up to over $100 as it is now.

She is anyway and jordanlolss like this.
  9. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

You're assuming he knew/remembered they had done it, unlike most of us I suspect that George did not spend his spare time sitting around listening to Beatles outtakes (unlike John who by all accounts was an avid collector & possible contributor to released Beatlegs and even recorded some tapes of them to send to Paul).

10. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

thats cool. I never knew this info.

11. JOSERENATO

JOSERENATO Forum Resident

Please, a lot of BONUS TRACKS!!!!!!

theMess and Rooster_Ties like this.
  12. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The sound quality on the ATMP demos/outtakes was superb on Early Takes Vol.1 and with all the material available from those sessions, I sure hope we're getting some new demos/outtakes here. Ideally that album clearly deserves full blown deluxe treatment and maybe Dhani will move to that at some stage. It will also be perfect home for long demanded full remix of that album as an alternate listen.

theMess and Naughty Chord like this.
  13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I seriously doubt this will be out in September. It's July and Dhani is still working with test pressings! Maybe it will be out this year, maybe early next year. Of course I'd take it sooner, rather than later, if possible!

Having the ATMP album remixed sounds like a nice idea, but I'd much prefer stripped down version where possible. Like I'd Have You Anytime from Early Takes. At first, I didn't care for it, because it was so similar to the album. But now, I realize how great it sounds, how uncluttered it is. Definitely a welcome alternate. But if ATMP were to get a remix, that would be cool. Heck, it did wonders for some of Lennon's albums.

14. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

It's like I said, I have the 1991 Gone Troppo and it sounds way better.

15. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

If you know where this is available, I would download it instantly. It is currently not offered on his site or anywhere else that I know of. Do you know a source (legal)?

16. jordanlolss

I agree about the release date.. Especially since they're releasing the mono box in the beginning of september

17. jordanlolss

I found it here on his website, but when you hit add to cart it says it's unavailable :\ -> http://georgeharrison.spinshop.com/All Things Must Pass/details/42216

18. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

Pure analog LPs already exist. Better sounding CDs is what's desired.

Hutch and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  19. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

It was available as recently as a month or two ago. I bought it not too long ago. The fact that they only recently took down the download makes me think that this master might be the one they will use for the Apple Years box. Hopefully they will make ATMP and all the others available as hi-res downloads when the box is released. I'm hoping for analog ATMP vinyl too since the RSD vinyl is so pricey nowadays.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    jordanlolss likes this.
  20. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

I'm not sure where the May 20th date came from, but George spent two days in Studio Three at EMI recording demos of his new material - May 26th and May 27th. On the 26th, he filled four reels with 19 songs (3 were repeated). He taped yet another 15 songs (2 reels worth) on the 27th none of which were repeats from the day before.

The 'Beware of ABKCO' tape originates from the 27th and represents everything on reels E097542 and E097543 - so if it's not on BOA, it's from the 26th, i.e. 'Going Down To Golders Green' and "Derra Derra Doon".

Tracking began in Studio Three on the 28th with three takes of 'Wah Wah' and sixteen takes of 'My Sweet Lord'.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

21. Sorry this was uploaded to the wrong thread this morning.

22. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Just goes to show you, always finish the coffee before posting. :D

theMess, Mazzy and supermd like this.
  23. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:agree:

theMess and Naughty Chord like this.
  24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I actually got it from your book (page 426), but I gather more precise information has surfaced since then.

Other than "Sour Milk Sea," are any titles known for uncirculated songs from the 26th?

25. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Coffee looks yummy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.