George Harrison,The White Album and Capitol Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Henry Love, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member Thread Starter

Greetings!Heard a story yesterday on the radio.George happened to be in L.A. when Capitol was mastering their version of The White Album.They had used too much compression,George didn't like it and had them remaster it.That why the stampers start out 34.Any comments?

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Glad George happened to be in the right place at the right time! ;)

3. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

An old story but (as far as I've read) untrue.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, lemme tell ya. My original Capitol cutting of The White Album was so bad, my needle skipped across all of one side, and I had a pretty good system for a kid (if you can call a dark green Zenith stereo fold down a system...)

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Was it avocado green? Our neighbors had that one! Kinda odd that they had that stereo as my buddy's dad was a doctor - I guess there weren't any Marantz dealers in Logansport, Indiana! They did have a Rollei TLR I always coveted...

6. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I heard the story from Bruce Spizer, he of the factually authoritative and lavishly illustrated books on the Beatles' US releases on Vee-Jay and Capitol. He's currently working on his "Beatles on Apple" volume, and he seems to have evidence that the story has some truth to it.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Those three books are amazing! I can't wait for the final book.:)

musicfan37 likes this.
  9. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Really? Sounds just like the one I had! :)

10. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I was listening to the same radio show as Henry (Breakfast With The Beatles on WXRT) and Bruce Spizer was the one who told the story. The story of George remixing the entire album is obviously untrue, but I can't wait to see what information Bruce has dug up concerning the remastering by George.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The story was that George heard the Capitol version and it was mastered wrong, and that much of the effect heard was wrong. So, he simply had them do it "right". Don't know if this is true, but that's what I have heard.

12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Another factor: The White Album itself is 90-plus minutes long over four sides. That's an average of about 22-23 minutes of music per side. Considering that in the U.S., some entire records (both sides combined!) barely clocked in at 22-23 minutes, it's no wonder they had a tough time getting it right.

If the White Album had been first issued on vinyl in 1998 rather than 1968, it likely would have been a 3-LP set.

13. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member Thread Starter

Thats pretty much the way I understood it.He had them remaster it with less compression.Thanks for the responses.

14. Humorem

Humorem New Member

As a bit of an update, I have 4, count 'em, 4 German White Albums all from the same era (same gold sticker on the cover) and not surprisingly they all sound different.

I got one German version that was German in every way except the record was pressed in Sweden and didn't sound very good.

I definitely like a "good" German copy better than an original English. I used to think the reverse but then I listened more carefully and my stereo got better and the German version sounded more natural in those hard to reproduce sections of the album, of which there are many.

Best, TP

15. RDK

RDK Active Member

Hey, Tom's back!!

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I think the reason for this is that The White Album is a real bitch to cut, and the German cutting technology can really nail the "needs" of this album.

17. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Would the (presumably union) engineers at Capitol Tower have let anyone from the outside, Beatle or not, walk in and do the mastering?

18. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Tom,

It's great to hear from you again. Posting once a month these days? Steve said you are working your behind off. Good for you! :cheers:

As for "the hard to reproduce sections" of The White Album, could you elaborate a little by naming a few?

19. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Some time ago, a friend of mine bought a copy of the compressed version of the White Album.

He was a fan of my mini-LPs, so he asked me if I'd like to make one of this rare record.

Anyway, after tons of work, I finally finished it yesterday. :goodie:

I'll post some pics of the finished mini-LP below, but I'm sure some of you folks are curious as to how Capitol messed things up, so here are three samples (as per the SH Forum rules, all are a minute in length (not that you'd want to hear more anyway..:D)).

Sample 1 (Why Don't We Do It In The Road):
    https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2djdFdjckltNEpvZE1UQw

Sample 2 (Helter Skelter):
    https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2djdFdjcklCSm84RmNUQw

Sample 3 (While My Guitar Gently Weeps):
    https://www.yousendit.com/download/T2djdFdjckllcEtxV2NUQw

(All samples are uncompressed WAV files (10 MB each), and the LPs were recorded on a LaserTurntable. Also, the records were in pretty rough shape, so you'll hear some surface noise.)

Here's the whole thing:
    [​IMG]

The embossed cover:
    [​IMG]

Inside the gatefold:
    [​IMG]

The discs:
    [​IMG]

The back of the info card (the matrix numbers):
    [​IMG]

20. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Thanks for posting that.

My copy (#1031596) isn't any improvement:

Side 1 - J45
    Side 2 - J43
    Side 3 - J46
    Side 4 - J49

Sounds like shrill mush.

21. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

AFAIK, the original mastering only went up to 33. The Harrison-supervised remastering is from 34.

john lennonist likes this.
  22. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

How would I go about buying a copy of this, or is this just a personal thing? Looks good! I'm envious!

23. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Calling Tone! This stuff needs to be on Beatledrops.

Very nice work. Love the cover!

24. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I have heard it, as a friend actually found 2 last year.

Only in Beatle land, folks: a record that is famous BECAUSE it sounds terrible.
    And it does. Easily beaten by any other pressing I've heard.

Dan

25. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

Do you make your living doing stuff like this? Everything I've seen of yours is absolutely gorgeous. Painstaking, beautiful work. Thanks for sharing it with us.