George Harrison, "You"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

It's not "You" but this is a fun listen .
    Until the guy got cute at the end. :D

2. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

For me, the most telling aspect was that following the Dark Horse tour, George was mentally incapable of writing an upbeat tune. I think that's a major reason why You was resurrected for Side 1 of Extra Texture, and is definitely the reason why it is reprised at the start of Side 2. George's cheerfulness would return in spades the following year.

lavalamp3 likes this.
  3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Can't defend this song on the grounds of its lyrics, but God I love it. The best toe-tapper of them all.

4. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

You is my favorite Harrisong

I'd love to own this version even though I can go to YouTube whenever

Can't believe this wasn't on early takes vol 1 (and I can't believe that album was only 30 mins long and that 4+ yrs on we still don't have a vol 2).

My love for You has helped me to enjoy Extra Texture which many vehemently dislike...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  5. urasam2

urasam2 A Famous Potato

Fascinating! I never heard that before, but now, when I listen, it's obvious. Maybe someone like Lord Reith could isolate Ronnie's vocal

6. I have two copies of the original UK vinyl pressing of George Harrison's Extra Texture. During "You", both copies seem to skip or have a edit after the bridge when George sings "and I, yeah I, I Love You". The third "I" is missing at 2:55. Was there a mastering issue with this song? It's very odd to find it on both copies. I recently posted this question in a separate thread and thought someone reading this thread might know about it.

7. I don't know I think there's not enough substance to the song. The musical backing track is fine but the lyrics not so much. So I guess, at least here, he's not so fine.

Bern likes this.
  8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

The original 1970 backing track is the same used on the final mix. Tom Scott and the LA Express added horn overdubs in 1975 and George re-did most, but not all, of the vocals, particularly for the newly-written bridge. The second verse on the demo "who, says" was not used in the later version. There's no different in pitch between the two versions, recorded some 4 and 1/2 years apart. No doubt easier for George to hit the high notes in 1970 before he lost his voice in 1974. It's most likely the early track was a studio demo for Apple artist Doris Troy, probably accounting for the high-range vocal. Ron

ZippyPippy likes this.
  9. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Huh? Doris Troy? George was awfully specific about Ronnie Spector.

[​IMG]

And Tom Scott didn't play on it. It was Jim Horn.

10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That's what I think as well.
    I remember in one of the Extra Texture discussions here we spent pages debating whether or not Ronnie Spector actually sang on "You"...consensus seemed to be that you'd have to be deaf not to notice her voice, yet I seem to recall a couple of holdouts who insisted she wasn't on the song:laugh:
    IMO "You" was the wrong choice both for leadoff single and opening track for Texture as it's hardly representative of the album as a whole, is it? "Tired Of Midnight Blue" might have been a better choice.

WilliamWes likes this.
  11. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I guess he was wedded to the sanctity of those Spector sessions when he felt he finally could really do it vs that early 75 era with notable failures in the recent past. new label pressures, deadlines, and a number of projects on his hands might have given him a "bird in the hand" point of view after all the rerecording he'd done with badfinger and dark horse. don't mess with it just complete it and get it out.

if early 75 had gone differently...if George hadn't been out of his head, Lennon hadn't reunified, and McCartney hadn't contract extended... what if the Beatles had spent months painstakingly recreating their 209+ recordings in a "spot the difference" style and achieved passable to excellent results.. what would EMI have done?

but good question. George should have rerecorded the vocals for the Dark Horse album the moment his voice got better but emotionally I don't think he could have taken it.

12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

You is the kind of song you'd expect George to write for someone else, like Ringo or ....Ronnie Spector. Which is what it is in reality. Like Lennon, he didn't really write much for himself that didn't have some kind of personalised or worldly point to it. I guess that he knew the song was good enough to be a Top 40 contender, which every Solo album up until then and beyond was supposed to have. I think he knew if he didn't put it on the album there would be no other song that was commercial enough to chart well. I like to saviour it as a 45 and dig into Extra Texture in isolation from You, which is pretty much what happens as soon as The Answers At The End begins.

pantofis and ohnothimagen like this.
  13. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

On the face of it, you'd think of the two songs George presented to her, 'You' would have been considered to present a far stronger possibility of returning Ronnie Spector to the top 40 than the rather ponderous 'Try Some, Buy Some'.

But then it's sometimes easy to forget how quickly the music scene had progressed in those short 7 years between The Ronettes last big hit in 1964 and the Apple recording session in 1971. It wasn't yet particularly cool to be 'retro' and maybe Ronnie (or Phil, George, Apple, whoever) just felt 'Try Some' was the more contemporary sounding song whereas 'You' may have possibly have presented her as rather old-fashioned and dated.

blutiga likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

"World Of Stone" was an interesting choice for the B-side, though. Now that tune is very representative of its mother album:righton:

EasterEverywhere, slane and blutiga like this.
  15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Now of course anyone with even free software like Audacity could instantly shift the pitch of the whole track including vocal without altering the tempo.

Does anyone know what % the vocal was sped up?

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The idea that he was in someway reluctant to include it on the album is undercut by him also including a reprise on the album. To me that suggests that a bigger factor may have been running low on material, which would be consistent with the relatively low quality of many of the other tracks on the album. Legs, for one, was clearly joke B side material at best

majorlance and blutiga like this.
  17. ohnothimagen

Not to mention "His Name Is Legs" being a Dark Horse leftover. But yeah, you do get a sense of album padding with the inclusion of "A Bit More Of You"...and I'm sure I'm not the only one who was thinking at first that "Can't Stop Thinking About You" was going to be more of the same:laugh:

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Interesting how many tracks on the album are build around the "oo" sound in repeated lyrics and rhyme schemes. Part of a new mantra?

19. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Love this song! I listened to it nonstop when I first bought it.

bpmd1962 and Tanx like this.
  20. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

4 years?? 6 and a half years my friend... Its just mind blowing that they cant put together another 30 min CD for a Vol 2 release. Its not like its a huge boxset like Neil Young Archives Vol1.

majoyenrac likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you have a defective turntable or CD player? ... ;)

majorlance and SixOClockBoos like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Patience .... :wtf:

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  23. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Yes, I think my favourite track on the album was "This Guitar Can't Keep From Cryoo"...

Sorry, couldn't resist being daft. :hide:

NothingBrightAboutIt likes this.
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

Somewhere close to 0% - should be pretty easy!

Marry a Carrot, Fred68 and Rfreeman like this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

5 of the 10 titles end with that sound, one starts with it too, and all of them repeat it a lot.

lavalamp3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.