George Harrison, "You"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Interesting. Thanks for the details (or possible details).

2. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Apparently, Jim Keltner overdubbed drums during the February session at Abbey Road. There are times when Gordon's original track and Kelter's overdubs are playing simultaneously. Regarding the Doris Troy session. It's interesting that the George-sung version of Get Back from that session(s) has horns, but the You backing track does not. So maybe this indicates the song was indeed recorded during an ATMP session and not at one for Doris Troy. Of course, it's also possible George hadn't envisioned horns for You at this point, or maybe the known boot take had horn overdubs we're not privy to. I forget what Chip Madinger's book says about the various sessions for the song. Ron

marmalade166 likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Definitely a very convoluted history.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I believe the mistaken belief that You dates from the ATMP sessions began when Midnight Beat included the basic track in their The Making Of All Things Must Pass box set in the mid-90's. Simon Leng also stated George may have made a recording during the ATMP session but I do not believe it was ever found on the session sheets. Chip Madinger and Mark Easter state that You dates from the February 1971 (the 8th through the 21st) sessions held specifically for Ronnie at Apple Studios (not to mention George stating the song was written for Ronnie in his I Me Mine book). Also I do not believe Leon Russell participated in the ATMP sessions and he is obviously present when the basic track was recorded. Lastly, per Madinger & Easter, Jim Keltner did not overdub his drum part until the April-June 1975 sessions held at A&M Studios in L.A. for the Extra Texture album. Jim Horn and David Foster also overdubbed their contributions during these same sessions.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I'm pretty sure that the half-time drum part on the finished record is Keltner, with Gordon's original track having more of an uptempo Motown feel. I know I've read George explaining his reasoning for the two parts but I can't find it.

Personally, I think Gordon's solo track works just fine.

6. Arnold Grove

Many thanks for digging deeper to get further details.

7. brainwashed

The only issue with this is that Gordon and Radle were getting ready to record the second, aborted Derek and the Dominos album and I've not heard that they worked with George after the ATMP sessions. And as you mention, overdubs by Keltner and David Foster were ADDED to the backing track, couldn't Leon's contributions come from that session as well? Remains a mystery. Ron

8. Arnold Grove

In the album notes for Living In The Material World, specifically for the song "Try Some Buy Some", Jim Gordon is credited as being the drummer. And George's version uses the same backing track as Ronnie's version, as recorded in February 1971. So at least Jim Gordon worked at this time with George post-ATMP.

Carl Radle is not credited though on "Try Some Buy Some".

slane likes this.
  9. brainwashed

Calling Chip Madinger! We need some documentation. Stat! Ron

10. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yes probably my fav to listen to overall as well. It's a song you can deep inside. It's lush.

ohnothimagen and SixOClockBoos like this.
  11. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Almost like they were forced to release something to tie in with the Scorsese film. They may be following George's wishes....only they know.

Bern

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  12. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

No, I actually first bought it on iTunes when the George Harrison Apple Years boxset was released and Dark Horse and Extra Texture albums were available for purchase for the first time on there. I looped it with other songs I was really into at the time, particularly songs from Tug Of War. It was all intentional :D

13. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

This one is another one of my favorites. I prefer "Pure Smokey" from George's two Smokey Robinson's influenced songs, but this song is very nice and perfect for listening to on a cloudy sunset type of hour.

3rd Uncle Bob, blutiga and Bern like this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Whaaat?! Somebody actually deigned to give Extra Texture a positive review when it was released? What the hell were they smoking over at Melody Maker?!:p
    That is how I hear the separate drum parts as well. Keltner sort of added an extra thump here and there. Fleshing out an existing drum part with extra flourishes and percussion is a Jim Keltner specialty.
    "Ooh Baby" is my favourite song on Texture and "Pure Smokey" is my favourite song on 331/3...I f--king love that sound!:winkgrin: They're so midseventies, definitely products of their time, with the Rhodes and the droning horns etc but I don't care!

15. slane

slane Forum Resident

Keltner plays in 'half-time' throughout (as opposed to Gordon's faster part). 'A Bit More Of You' has Keltner mixed higher and Gordon mixed down:

ohnothimagen and lavalamp3 like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

So is Carl Radle the one playing the bass on "You" though? Carl is credited on the Extra Texture liner notes with playing on the song. But supposedly it was Klaus at the Ronnie Spector sessions.

17. ohnothimagen

True, and Klaus gets the bass credit for "Try Some Buy Some" which was presumably recorded at the same sessions, but who knows? Maybe they were both there.
    Carl Radle and Jim Gordon were more or less joined at the hip in those days, being Dominoes and all- I'd be inclined to think it's Radle on both "You" and "Try Some Buy Some", but it's pure conjecture at this point.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  18. Arnold Grove

Yes. You explained it very well. But that's why it's confusing.

It's also so economical that George took the two backing tracks of You and Try Some Buy Some, and just tweaked them and added his new vocals over them, instead of recording them from scratch.

19. ohnothimagen

Well, why not? They're both perfectly usable backing tracks. Redoing a vocal is helluva lot easier than remaking an entire track where it's a crapshoot that you might not match the original version. Of course IMO "You" didn't need David Foster's synth overdubs any more than TSBS needed Spector's bombastic orchestral parts.

That said, I suppose somebody will want to take away my "Ohnothimagen" handle if I were to admit I have never heard "Tandoori Chicken" though, eh?:p

20. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

It rocks!

21. Arnold Grove

Being served NOW!:

Fred68 likes this.
  22. ohnothimagen

Eye thank yew! (And Fred68). I will give that a listen when I get home (no speakers on my work computer)

23. Arnold Grove

It won't be hot if you wait... ;)

24. ohnothimagen

I got a microwave...

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Not recommended:

;)

Fred68 likes this.