George Harrison, "You"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Nov 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Putting a CD in the ol' nuker isn't recommended either- we did that one time when my ex's younger sister kept playing Jagged Little Pill over and over; my ex snapped and took the CD out of the player and put it in the microwave. Sparks soon started flying. We killed the CD all right, and the microwave. My girlfriend's mum laughed but was pissed just the same- we had to buy a new microwave:laugh:

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It sounds like an unfinished song with temp vocals.

3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

"Tandoori Chicken" sounds to me very much like "Cook Of The House" by Wings:

Cook Of The House

vinnie and HoundsOBurkittsville like this.
  4. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Since Tandoori pre-dates Cook by five years, I think you mean that the other way 'round.

5. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

I have an odd pressing of the 1977 Starline 45.The web only tells me that "You" was issued as a Starline 45,with "Dark Horse" as the B sisde.Mine has not only the normal "World of Stone" B side,but it has a target logo on one side,and an oval logo on the other.

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Never said anything about which came first - just that they sound very much alike.

7. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I see what you did there! LOL

chacha likes this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

The vocal always makes me cringe. Sounds like a machine singing. The rest of the album is better.

chacha likes this.
  9. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I remember buying Extra Texture as a kid because I loved the song "You." But if I recall correctly the rest of the album was pretty lousy. Should I give it another listen?

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If you like deja vu, then yes. ;)

DrAftershave, Ivan, Colocally and 2 others like this.
  11. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Worth a listen.... has a good late night vibe but lacks the melodies and beauty of his best work. He's subsequent albums GH and 33 1/3 were much better.

somnar, Carlox and Isamet like this.
  12. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Pay no attention to the man behind the Flying V. You should definitely give it another listen.

13. Arnold Grove

Lyrics from "The Answer's At The End" from Extra Texture:

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass
    You know his faults, now let the foibles pass
    Life is one long enigma, my friend
    So read on, read on, the answer's at the end ...

So yes, listen on, listen on to Extra Texture ... ;)

14. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Sometimes it feels like one long enema.

3rd Uncle Bob and Arnold Grove like this.
  15. slane

slane Forum Resident

I know I'm in a minority, but these days Side One of Extra Texture is probably my favourite Harrison LP side outside of ATMP.

When I first bought the album though (on a school trip to France!) I must admit that it was a tough listen for the 14 year old me... (though I already knew 'You' from 'Best Of...')

blutiga, Fred68 and Isamet like this.
  16. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I'm glad I didn't let Extra Texture stop me from getting the next LP. If you don't have the material....might have been better to release nothing.

Bern

17. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

hot wax

18. Arnold Grove

But George needed to release one more album (Extra Texture) to get out of his old contract with EMI and then be free to move over to Warner Brothers.

Fred68 and Bern like this.
  19. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

This is a riot! I read somewhere that John Lennon contributed to this recording - true or false?

20. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

It should have just been a single. Then I wouldn't have to skip it when I play the record.
    Yeah, I don't like it. One of my least favorite GH songs, and I have all his records starting with ATMP. Please don't hurt me.

Tord likes this.
  21. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Really hit and miss as an album, but I consider 'Tired Of Midnight Blue' as the biggest overlooked gem in his studio catalogue.

Tord and linclink like this.
  22. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Guess this is officially another 'Extra Texture' thread.

blutiga likes this.
  23. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

The real sore point of the album for me is the last song, "His Name is Legs". How George was happy to put that out but never put "Flying Hour" on an album baffles me.

SixOClockBoos and Rfreeman like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Cocaine can make people do strange things ...

Fred68 and Haristar like this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

So, there is a lot of info (and some misinfo) in this thread.

The entire sessions took place in early 1971, most likely all in February. A variety of musicians contributed to the various tracks, and not all performers are confirmed, especially on the unreleased tracks. It's possible that Ringo attended, and may have contributed to Lovely La De Day and I Love Him Like I Love My Very Life. Lennon sang backing vocals on Tandoori Chicken. A version with Phil Spector singing lead is supposed to exist. Phil may have contributed some keyboards. Both Klaus Voormann and Carl Radle played bass. Peter Kirtley played guitar on Lovely La De Day. Pete Ham may be on Try Some Buy Some.

When Every Song Is Sung may have been worked on with Ronnie. Leon Russell and his wife Mary would later record the song, likely for The Wedding Album, although it was not included.

Gopala Krishna, Dera Duhn, and Going To Golder's Green were recorded May 26th, 1970. Get Back is also from the All Things Must Pass sessions. These recordings are not from the Doris Troy sessions, despite various bootlegs claiming so.

Calico and linclink like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.