George Harrison's Brainwashed revisited

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Hey, I was just responding to your assertion that all of his post- Cloud 9 stuff sold "like gangbusters". Not hitting the top 100 is comparable to "Gone Troppo" level sales. :shrug:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    theMess and Runicen like this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Hmm.. Point taken.

Well, what would your thought be on the sales potential here? Personally, it looks like the label is sitting on free money since this stuff just needs a producer (Lynn? Dhani?) to dust it down. It's already recorded and sitting there.

For every fringe artist seeing catalog re-releases, career-spanning box sets, and so on down the line, it's inconceivable that a solo Beatle wouldn't be able to bring in at least as much business.

And... can I just say that I actually kind of like Gone Troppo? Granted, it desperately needs a synth-free remix, but it's an alright album. :p

3. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

Sales levels have been in serious decline since the mid 2000s, so the # of records sold needed to reach a spot is vastly different depending on when you are looking. I had a friend make it into the top 50 rock albums in the last few years with something like 1,000 units. He wouldn't have been in the top 500 in the 90's!

JLGB, Lewisboogie and theMess like this.
  4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I think we all agree that a 2 CD set of George's singles and select album tracks is overdue. Even a collection similar to "Pure McCartney" would be a nice box set! A rarities box would be what a lot of us are waiting for!

5. Wingsfan2012

Well we can thank streaming, downloads etc for a lot of that. It is not an "experience" to go to your record shop and buy a new release and have you get excited as you drive to pick it up. Sadly in the US music has become background and workout fodder for most. I still love shutting off the TV and putting on a new CD (like I did with the "Pet Sounds" 50th anniversary double CD last night)!

Runicen likes this.
  6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Please not another greatest hits set. I'd love a new George release but a compilation is not it.

Unless it had a few new songs however, which would be enough for any George fan to buy it.

Lewisboogie, WilliamWes and theMess like this.
  7. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Fantastic album. One of the few must own GH records along with ATMP and C9

bward likes this.
  8. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I used to experience that as well, but now, while I still buy CDs (only to rip them to my computer, but I like having them for a number of reasons) I order them online and have them shipped to my door. Amazon Prime gets them to me on release day so it's all good. I just have to wait until later in the day when the mail comes.

Lewisboogie and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  9. Wingsfan2012

Yes 2 Cd set of singles and select album tracks with a couple "new" songs thrown in...Dhani/Olivia/Capitol you listening? lol

Haristar likes this.
  10. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I am playing Brainwashed now - Marwa Blues just kills. Amazing.

djost, Runicen, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  11. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Distance Makes No Difference With Love is another later Harrison song that I adore.

Lewisboogie, Haristar and theMess like this.
  12. Haristar

I haven't heard that song in ages. It sounds so good.

Lewisboogie, LSP2003 and theMess like this.
  13. Haristar

Here's another song he wrote post-Cloud Nine:

Before you freak out that it's an unreleased George version, it's only an Eric Clapton version. :p;)

LSP2003, Lewisboogie and theMess like this.
  14. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I've been contemplating potential Harrison compilations for years now, and one format that I think could work quite well would be a 3CD set (disc 1: greatest hits/singles; disc 2: album cuts; disc 3: B-sides & rarities). Also, while I recognize that this is likely not a popular opinion at all, I think a box set that includes Beatles recordings would actually be a more comprehensive and better introduction to Harrison, as the studio versions of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Something" and "Here Comes the Sun" are some of the songs most often associated with George.

Runicen and Lewisboogie like this.
  15. Haristar

I couldn't imagine a Paul compilation with "Hey Jude" though.

theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  16. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Perhaps not, but can you imagine a Paul concert without "Hey Jude"? Also, regardless of how little Lennon may have helped in the songwriting process for many of Macca's songs, every song he wrote in the Beatles gives Lennon equal songwriting credit. I'm sure Paul would cringe at the thought of how much money Yoko Ono would be making from a Paul McCartney career-spanning compilation that includes "Hey Jude," "Yesterday," "Let It Be," etc. Harrison, on the other hand, receives 100% songwriting credit for all of the songs he wrote for the Beatles. With that in mind, I think a Paul McCartney compilation that includes Beatles songs would be amazing.

17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

This has been the standard for George since the Best of GH in the 1970s. I'd like to see a solo-only set for once. Meaning no live Beatle tracks as well. Please.

Dr. Dog and Sean Murdock like this.
  18. Haristar

If they use pre-White Album songs he won't get all the money though.

19. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

You presented this quickly and well. I've been going on about it for years.

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

There's no Harrison writing credit on that tune, according to my cd...
    There's also a version of that cut by George's fellow (onetime) Wilbury, Gary Moore (which George plays on).

theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  21. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I actually never looked at the writing credit - interesting. He is great on it though.

22. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Well, I've only seen one "interview" where Dhani blamed EMI (not Capitol) for not releasing a George rarities set -- and it was an aging George fan who accosted Dhani at a CD signing at Coachella and apparently irritated him into a considerable rant about EMI and bootleggers. This was in April 2009, just days after Let It Roll was announced, and wasn't part of the encounter. (Read about it HERE.) It's well known that Olivia and Dhani wanted a two-CD set for Let It Roll, so I'm not doubting that part -- I doubt the part that what we got was actually Disc One of that two-CD set. I mean, that'd be a pretty amazing coincidence, wouldn't it, that 75% of the "must have" tracks were all on Disc One, and all the "missing" Dark Horse, Extra Texture, and Gone Troppo tracks were on Disc Two?

The way Olivia described it (in quotes I posted above), there were multiple LISTS of songs -- including Dhani's and her own -- and then after the label had their say (presumably, "Cut it down to one disc, please") Olivia trimmed it down to a single CD.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    theMess and vitorbastos123 like this.
  23. Calico

Calico Senior Member

George's duet with Jim Capaldi on the song "Love's Got A Hold On Me", recorded in 1997 and released in 2011 on the "Dear Mr. Fantasy" box set, should also be included as a "Brainwashed" bonus track.
    (I can't find any Youtube link, though)

24. Haristar

Here, I made an ATMP sessions tracklisting, in case Dhani and Olivia are reading. :p

Disc One:
    Run of the Mill
    Art of Dying
    Everybody, Nobody
    Wah-Wah
    Beautiful Girl
    Beware of Darkness
    Let it Down
    Tell Me What Has Happened to You
    Hear Me Lord
    Nowhere to Go
    Cosmic Empire
    Mother Divine
    I Don't Want to Do It
    If Not For You
    Going Down to Golders Green
    Om Hare Om (Gopala Krishna)

Disc Two:
    I'd Have You Anytime
    My Sweet Lord
    Isn't it a Pity
    What is Life
    Behind that Locked Door
    Apple Scruffs
    Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp
    Awaiting on You All
    All Things Must Pass
    I Dig Love
    Hear Me Lord
    Woman Don't You Cry for Me
    I Live for You
    Rocking Chair in Hawaii
    I Still Love You
    Dehra Dun
    You

25. Wingsfan2012

Glad you threw in Dehra Dun, officially not an "ATMP" session song but the version recorded during the "Krishna Temple: 1969 sessions is great. Heard it the other day for the first time after thinking the "Threetles" impromptu playing 20 years ago was the only version available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.