George Harrison's Guitar Playing on Abbey Road

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

Some of the most beautiful guitar work ever recorded IMO. Thank you George!

2. uglything

uglything New Member

Absolutely agreed one hundred per cent. It completely saves Octopus's Garden*, for one. That's a gorgeous, melodically inventive, and totally appropriate break. He really was a much better player than most give him credit for, and he's at the top of his game on Abbey Road. Never shows off, never a note unconsidered or out of place, his playing on this album is a lesson in making the whole the greater than the sum of the parts. Stellar.

*I know - you really, really like Octopus's Garden.

3. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Not only was the guitar playing great, but the tones of the guitar are very lush and warm on that album. He was really something else in that period.

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

His song writing on the album weren't too shabby either! :D :righton:

5. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I don't think it's coincidence that his playing came on leaps and bounds after they stopped touring. Not exactly shabby before, but so much better after.

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Did'nt Paul redo all of the guitar playing on Abbey Road?

7. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

And the drums?

8. Chris Schoen

He could have, yes. ;)

9. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

No, he didn't - not on "Abbey Road".
    He redid all the guitars, drums, keyboads, strings and vocals and released it on "Abbey Road.... naked".
    In the liner-notes he wrote: "Now 'Abbey Road' has finally begun to sound the way it was supposed to ..." ;)

10. Chris Schoen

Love this album. And it does highlight Harrison. Recently needle-dropped my Mofi vinyl for
    someone who had never heard Abbey Road.

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Can I be totally honest and admit that I used to think that George played all the lead guitar on Beatles records before it was pointed out that John and even Paul played some as well. That's left me a little in the dark as to who plays what on each record. :hide:

Anyway, back to Abbey Road. My very favourite Beatles album and the two George songs are my favourites on this LP. Here Comes The Sun is my alltime fave Beatles song. If it is George playing lead on everything then I have to say i'm very impressed.

12. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

On the more serious bit: I love this album too and has just received a needle-drop of the Japanese Pro-Use Series vinyl.
    It sounds great and is the best version I've heard so far so I can recommend the Japanese Pro-Use Series too.

13. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

+1, that one is stunning.

14. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

A lot of the guitar playing on AR isn't George but the solo on Something is fantastic! The guitar-battle at the end of the medley is a showcase for three fine guitar-players. I have different versions of this album (all of them better than the general release, has someone mentioned a good remaster might be a good idea?), but the Japanes Pro-Use is one of the best (isn't a bit bass-heavy or is Macca's bass mixed in that LOUD?)

15. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

On "You Never Give Me Your Money", listen to the lead guitar in the background from 1:47 to 2:09, before the guitar is faded up. George could always manage to play the perfect part to fit a song :love:

16. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

The 'Octopus's Garden' intro just sparkles! (I hear he wrote/arranged a good chunk of the song too... is that correct?)

17. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

In one word: impeccable.

18. Not to take away anything from George's wonderful contributions to AR, but I think John's tone and playing the lead parts in I Want You (save from the opening solo, if I'm not wrong) are really superb! In both playing along his singing as well as in the middle solo, John's lines convey the melody perfectly, yet weaving in all these little sexy twists and bends which I used to think only players like Eric Clapton (or George for that matter!) were capable of...

I also really enjoy GH's little country licks in Maxwell's Silver Hammer!

19. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

You can actually see George helping Ringo writing the song in the "Let It Be" film so that's correct.

20. hackjo

hackjo Forum Resident

George's guitar playing on Abbey Road impresses me mainly with its economy. His contributions to each song are studied, intricately arranged and performed and yet never sound showy or out of place. There are no more notes played than necessary and to be honest, more modern players could learn a thing or two from his lead guitar work on that album.

I particularly love the solo to his own Something - I hear he recorded it several times, each time playing the exact same melody, just to ensure he got the right guitar sound. I love that kind of thing!

21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

How did they get those unique guitar tones on Abbey Road? I'm thinking of the lead guitar fills at the end of "Come Together", the guitar solo in "I Want You", and "You Never Give Me Your Money".

Flanging? Leslie Speaker? Double-tracking? "stuck" Wah Wah pedal? Having 8 track capability for the whole album?

For my money, "You Never Give Me Your Money" has the best guitar sounds on it that the Beatles ever recorded. I could listen to that song all day.

22. waynenet

waynenet New Member

I think George and Paul had to play most of it anyway as John was only around for a few of the sessions.

23. hackjo

hackjo Forum Resident

The best place to look is Mark Lewisohn's Complete Beatles Chronicle. It has details of every recording date and I'm sure it lists the effects used. I'll have to dig my copy out and have a look.

You're right - the actual guitar tone is fantastic throughout that album.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

25. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Lewisohn, by his own admission, is not an expert on Beatles instruments, amps, or effects. The recent "Recording The Beatles" might have something, have to lug it off the shelf and check it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.