George Michael RIP (53)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Dec 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I do too - thinking about his ballads, "Cowboys and Angels" would have been apropos for that occasion, and also powerful.

2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That would have been a great choice, one of George's best ever songs. But it was not a hit single and had no video so most people watching maybe wouldn't have known it.
    I would love Adele to do an album of cover versions of George's songs.

3. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I do think that Pray For Time would be a better choice than Fastlove. You Have Been Loved would be another one.

I read that George's family initially did not want a tribute, but came back to give an OK with one condition that Adele would be the one to do it.

Troystar likes this.
  4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Decent quality version after restart; love the way they show George ssshhhh @3:16

5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You know what, I was thinking today that You Have Been Loved would have been a good choice. I thought either that one or Praying For Time. But I have to say that I loved Adele's version of Fastlove.

Edit. I just noticed that you mentioned Praying For Time as well.

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  6. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

She could have chosen so many other songs A Different Corner or Praying For Time would have been perfect. She striped away everything that made the song great.

MikaelaArsenault and NunoBento like this.
  7. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

I actually prefered The BeeGees tribute it was far from perfect, but made more sense. The best was the Prince tribute with the Time and Bruno Mars.

Jayseph and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The part of the video montage that really hit me hard was one of the last photos - showed George at the 1988 Grammy awards, coming on stage to collect one of his many awards that night, waving at his peers applauding. Wow....

9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Shoulda covered "Careless Whisper". That's likely to go down as his best-remembered song.

10. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Listen without Prejudice is delayed untill May 19 in the UK on Amazon UK

11. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

brownie61, Dflow, SJP and 4 others like this.
  12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That was well-done.

13. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Chris Martin should have picked another song to cover. He was struggling with the high notes.

14. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that. It was a very moving tribute. I choked up when I heard George's voice.

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I thought it was the perfect song to cover . . . and Martin always sounds like he's struggling with the high notes, so that's nothing new. Seemed heartfelt, and he wasn't wrestling with a keyboard contraption, as we saw on a certain tribute last year...

That montage was I think the best-realized one of those I've ever seen for one of these tributes. Whoever put it together deserves kudos.

16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

True, one hell of a popular contemporary performer struggling in a charming way. If someone asks you who that George Michael was we can now show them, with this and the original. In seconds anyone will realise how skilful he really was.

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I thought this was one of the best tributes I had ever seen.
    It highlights the darkness in the lyrics, how 'fastlove' is the only thing of interest (casual sex) after the real love relationship went south....but at the end, it's the real love that claws at his heart, the 'I miss my baby' lays his real feelings bare.
    In this, Adele showed the brilliance and ache of the lyrics, and rather then portray a 'sunshine and lollipops' version of George Michael, showed his inner torment. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go was not really what he was about.
    I had to watch this about a dozen times. I could easily watch it a dozen more. I hope it shows up in some form, as a comp or some such release in the future.

18. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

'I can't mess this up for him' ....wow.
    Here's just the audio, full and uncensored.
    'I'm sorry for swearing' then swears again in the first verse of the song. hahahaha....

the audience goes wild at the end.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

20. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

MikaelaArsenault and qJulia like this.
  21. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

I thought the same. Didn't Prince say God bless George Michael in the 1994 MTV Europe Music Awards concert? Could not remember where I read it.

22. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

23. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

It was a great song choice. Chris Martin's performance was heartfelt. However, it does show how effortless and great George was, and George was not even at his prime in that clip.

Did Martin change the lyric of the first line? he seemed to sing I'd say love was a magic flame.

sunspot42 and bob60 like this.
  24. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

I thought I heard that, isn't the lyrics magical thing? Or have I been mis hearing them

25. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

Adele's version did bring more attention to the lyrics. She did a great job in this regard.

As to GM's version, even Adele said she heard the vulnerability of the song even when she was young. To me, once one realizes what the real message is in the song, it is truly unforgettable.

It is not the first time that George's song was mis-interpreted.

lennonfan1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.