George, Paul and Ringo jamming in 1995 video footage- Can someone fill me in?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Given the recent passing of Rod Taylor that may no longer be possible!

Glenn Christense likes this.
  2. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

Not only do they almost look like The Band, the first 20 seconds or so of this sounds like them!

Jtycho and Mike Visco like this.
  3. Gloi

Gloi Forum Resident

Darn it. You had my hopes up.

theMess likes this.
  4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Not to worry! Didn't Sheldon, Walowitz, Kuthrapali and Leonard Hoffstader buy the actual time machine on Ebay? They might give you access, but only if you bring a brisket for Walowitz!! :D

5. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I think that scene is quiet hilarious. George refers to Paul's "vegetarian leather jacket" or something of the like, basically calling him a hypocrite in a joking manner.

6. Brother Maynard

Oh, so it WAS faux leather? I thought it was real and George was calling him on it. It's still funny.

theMess likes this.
  7. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

just sit back and enjoy the best concert in the world.

8. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

THANKS!!!
    Just watched this. He was in great voice and form this night!

fatoldsun, theMess and vitorbastos123 like this.
  9. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Rumor has it that next season, they will turn it into a real time machine and go back in time to save Charlie Harper from the falling piano...:unhunh:

supermd, Keith V and theMess like this.
  10. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Bless you and curse you for posting this concert.:D

I didn't expect to be blowing two hours and 44 minutes tonight watching a concert, but so it goes.

Geez, Paul was singing really well at this show, and unless the vocals were sweetened after the fact, I have to say that his current band does the best job of backing vocal harmonies of any band he has had.

Not to get all misty, but once in awhile it occurs to me that most of us probably take Paul for granted because he's been around for most of our lives, or in the case of losers like Ben, all of their lives. :p

It happens every so often for me and it happened again tonight : I'm watching the show and I realize, my God, how much musical pleasure this one guy has provided for me with the Beatles and post Beatles. I'm watching the concert and it's really hard to logically process the guys musical abilities. How does one guy get blessed with that much musical talent ?

And one day, he's not going to be around anymore. That's hard to comprehend. I expect him to be out there year after year, playing 2 and half hours plus.When he heads off for the white light my life is going to be a little less full, a little bit empty, so thanks for the concert. He was great.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  11. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I don't want to sound morbid or anything, but given the fact that he is the Beatle who has had the largest presence in the media and has continued touring for all these years, I reckon that many people have a bigger attachment to Paul than they realise. When he is gone the reaction will be massive - even for those who may not care about The Beatles or claim to find him annoying/embarrassing.

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's having fun

Paulwalrus likes this.
  13. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I feel the same. This guy's music has given me so much happiness for as long as I can remember.

14. Brother Maynard

Nothing is real.

theMess likes this.
  15. Brother Maynard

I laughed the first time I watched "Living in the Material World" when, if I remember correctly, right after Dhani talks about his dad's night gardening and how he'd decide to move a pond from one spot to another and how he had to do the work himself, they then shift to footage from the early 70's of some workers doing just that with George standing by, supervising. I love me some George, and I have no doubt he did a lot of work on his own out there, but that was funny.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

With the disclaimer that I love George & respect the fact that he may have been troubled by all sorts of problems and issues around this time - but he comes off so cranky and bitter in some of these outtakes. Has anyone posted the one where they're listening to Abbey Road and they're figuring out who's playing what and George jokes something like, "It's all you Paul." Then kind of looks around the room for a reaction. I haven't seen the clip in a while but the tension is palpable as it is during the jam session. Then again the Anthology is interesting in that it captured them at a time before all the wounds were healed, so within the context of the doc itself George's comments are usually the best & wittiest.

17. Brother Maynard

I love this clip and have watched it quite a few times. To me, George looks intense and somewhat emotional in this still photo, and sounds measured and thoughtful in his speech. Then one night not long ago I showed the clip to my wife asked her if she agreed. She said his eyes, rather than intense, look like he'd just done a line backstage. I felt kind of silly.

heatherly likes this.
  18. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

George's speech is very, very sweet and moving. Ringo just seems drunk. Yoko is quite nasty about Paul, surprisingly gushing about Julian and unsurprisingly spare on actual praise for The Beatles.

notesfrom and theMess like this.
  19. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

How so? Because she says the customary "John would be here -- he would have come", just like anyone would on behalf of someone departed? Even George said "I'm sure he would be". Yoko never mentioned Paul by name -- but if she did take a side swipe at McCartney in some way by assuring us "John would have come", so what? It was indeed absurd that Paul got petty and chose to pass this opportunity up (yes, I know all about Paul's personal "business reasons" for not going).

Julian only talked about 'dad' as well, yet nobody seems to mind (I guess because he's Julian and not Scapegoat Yoko).
    I think Yoko did just fine here -- and if anything she at least praised The Beatles more than Paul did, as at least she was present.

Lost In The Flood and Zeki like this.
  20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

From what I read here, from other posters, I was expecting something really vicious from Ono...but there wasn't. It is just as you describe it.

I've learned, from this thread, to take the time to click, listen or read because oftentimes the reality is much different than what gets bandied about! (I've also a re-newed appreciation for these poor guys (and Ono and Linda McCartney) as they have every word and cocked eyebrow examined in excruciating detail).

21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

If you don't see the opening of her speech as nasty towards Paul then I must be particularly cynical or you must be particularly naive. After the silly/harmless tone of Ringo's speech and the heartfelt, straightforward and loving tone of George's, she takes the opportunity to remind everyone that she and Paul (and the others) were fighting at the time. It was kind of unnecessary to do it at that moment when the event was meant to be about the four guys in the band, not their business disputes.

Not that the rock and roll hall of fame means anything.

Paulwalrus, anthontherun and theMess like this.
  22. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

So then how do you feel about Paul not even showing up, and instead sending a statement saying that [paraphrasing]: "We still have business disputes that are unsettled, and it would look phony for me to be there smiling with them at a fake reunion"...? (Or is it just because Paul isn't Yoko, so it's okay?) .

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I vote for you as being particularly cynical! She commented on her disappointment that her husband couldn't be there. Perfectly normal.

Harrison makes the comment about McCartney having the speech in his pocket (though absent). If...and this is an "if" McCartney had been there and whipped out this jokingly referenced speech, I have a sneaking suspicion there would be folks upset that McCartney dominated the proceedings by bringing prepared remarks.

Sometimes even celebrities joke and make little cracks, said in light hearted fun. I think it is perfectly okay for fans to chuckle along without seeing all kinds of shenanigans. So, yep, you're one cynical chap.

jeatleboe likes this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The 1988 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony was weird and fraught with tension.

Paul was not the only no-show inductee - Diana Ross also left the Supremes at the altar. Mike Love aggravated the tension in his speech for the Beach Boys induction - taking shots at most everyone, including "Ms. Ross". Dylan tried to defuse the tension by thanking Mike Love "for not mentioning me in his speech". By the time Yoko speaks, we all know Paul's not there, we all know why - the high road would have been to not mention him at all, or mention him positively within the framework of the group. Instead the first thing she says is a just slightly veiled comment about his absence. Sean may have the best comment in the whole speech, about being up there for doing nothing.

25. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I have to say, this IS a pretty damn good show. I love Paul's lead work on Paperback Writer. The editing is still piss poor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.