DCC Archive George, Paul and Ringo's final meeting...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I wasn't born until 1972, but the Beatles were my favorite group by the time I was three, and they still are. My parents had (and still have) most of the American Beatle albums from the '60s (they were both 13 when the Beatles landed in NYC, just the right age to be Beatlemaniacs).

My earliest memory of listening to the Beatles involves a mono copy of the United Artists "Hard Day's Night" album. That was my favorite. (Even now, the UK "Hard Day's Night" album is my top pick among their early work.) I had my folks record it for me onto a cassette, and I played it constantly ... there was just something irresistable about the sound of it all. John Lennon's double-tracked voice on the 1-2-3 punch of "A Hard Day's Night," "Tell Me Why" and "I Cry Instead" (yes, that's how it was listed on the sleeve, and how I still always think of it) was probably what hit me first, but there was also that open-hi-hat "wash" in the background from Ringo's kit, and those very distinctive 12-string guitar parts from George's Rickenbacker. (I now own a Rickenbacker 12-string just like his, and learned to play many of those licks even before the riff from "Mr. Tambourine Man.")

Man, I wish I had a copy of it here with me now ...

2. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The very first album I bought was "The Beatles Second Album" when I was 11. I think I was captured by the raw energy of the sound, especially on "Roll over Beethoven", as well as the sepia toned cover images. I was really into the Beatles, and they became my favorite group - still are. As a kid I had the dolls, plastic guitars, lunch box, etc. Well, as time went on I kept only the album, but my mom sold it in a garage sale while I was away at college. Ten years later, I was sifting through the Beatles section of a local used record store and there was my first album with my name written on the cover and label. I went to the cashier and told her I was buying this album for the second time. When she gave me a puzzled look, I told her my story - I'm not sure she belived me. Needless to say it's still my favorite LP.

3. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

I still have most of the 45s I bought during the years 1966 through 1969, although they're in poor shape. The first two 45s I purchased were The Beatles "Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby" (which I still have) and Tommy Roe's "Sweet Pea" (lost). I also had the rare Beatles EP's ( w/cardboard covers) "Four By The Beatles" and "4 By The Beatles", both of which disappeared through the years. My greatest regret from the 60's was losing the autograph of legendary guitarist Link Wray of the guitar instrumental "Rumble" fame. Still kicking myself over that. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.