George/Paul dust-up during the Get Back sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

1. Macca is Macca, he's persnickety in the studio. There's a clip of him at Sun Records with Scotty Moore and D.J. Fontana, and Scotty and D.J. are goofing around and Macca snaps at them and he's not kidding. He is what he is.

2. George was in a bad state of mind coming into those sessions. He said later that he'd just come back from the U.S. where he hung out with The Band, David Crosby, even Frank Sinatra, and was treated as a musical equal/peer, but when he returned to The Beatles he was No. 3 in the pecking order again and he was done with that.

somnar, Bigbudukks and jeremylr like this.
  2. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I have always said about the Lennon & McCartney post break up feud that it was the biggest public divorce in history,
    Burton/Taylor had nothin' on them

3. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I don't think Paul is any one thing in the studio. Have you seen the footage with Elvis Costello. Paul is goofing around on a synth, and Elvis quite nearly starts playing without him.

I have no problem with the Paul/George argument. I can imagine George feeling somewhat emboldened and yet demoralized after hanging out with Dylan and The Band. He comes back to his band, and one guy isn't writing, and lets his girlfriend make all the decisions and speak for him; while the other guy has 20 songs ready to go, and each one is already worked out in his head, so he doesn't need a band.

4. Wingspan

Wingspan Forum Resident

I would not have said it better, thank you !

5. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

He did! The 'Guitar solo' in Yer Blues at 2:53, is Yoko, not a guitar.
    Beave

Ed Hughes and Veech like this.
  6. Wingspan

Wingspan Forum Resident

Do we know what other songs George tried to include in the album "Let it be"?
    Same question for John Lennon, "Across the universe" was written 2 years before ... (My fav' Lennon's song)

Do you think like me that George and John kept their best new songs for their solo projects?

For me John and George really thought that "let it be" was their last Beatles album ...

7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Is the clip online ?

8. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

The thing is though, that independent of overall leadership, Paul was always on charge in the studio about his own songs (and in general according to some reports). There's an interview with George talking about the Rubber Soul songs and when asked about Drive my Car, he mentions how Paul would usually have a clear idea abou what he wanted on his songs, but that in that particular ocasion he was very open about the arrangements, which George enjoyed. So Paul was ALWAYS like that.

About your other point, I gotta say John remained till the end very interested in running the band and being the leader (hence the whole Klein fiasco). Him being unable to do it and feeling McCartney taking over was probably the main reason for the break up.

Yep. Paul can be both ways, as with the Drive my Car example. I remember one of his band members (not sure if a current one) was asked about orecisely this, how much Paul allowed contributions from the band members, and he said just that: he sometimes was ery specific about exactly what he wanted, other times he was open to contributions.

DocShipe likes this.
  9. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

For me, it's Paul's piano work on this song that takes it to another level. Have never been thrilled with the effect on the guitar.

BellaLuna, angelees and Paulwalrus like this.
  10. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Paul’s bass playing is pretty great on Gently Weeps, especially on the fade out. Awesome harmony vocals as well. In my opinion, Paul’s work on Gently Weeps is more important and effective than Clapton’s solo.

BellaLuna, petem1966, theMess and 2 others like this.
  11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

They should’ve realized, by the end of The White Album, that it was really over.

ampmods likes this.
  12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Been years since I've seen it, but I suspect this is probably one of their milder rows for the time. But it's the one we're privy to so it's the one that everyone talks about.

gja586 and ohnothimagen like this.
  13. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

This.

Paul is Paul. John got it, and understood it. What a pity we didn't get part 2.

George was elsewhere. He probably should have quit, but then we wouldn't have Something.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Where did we learn this game-changing tidbit of information??

15. The Beave

Not being snarky here at all, but my ears....all you need is ears. It's quite obvious to me.
    Just like the 'solo' in 'Hello Goodbye ', that solo is the Beatles holding their hands up to their mouth in an 'Ok' fashion and blowing through their thumbs 'O' like a kazoo. A
    Great sense of humour those lads had.
    Beave

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  16. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I don't know what particularly George was talking about, but watch the movie (~ 9 minutes in). Paul was talking to John about how to play that bit on "I've Got A Feeling", not George. That's not to say that there weren't other tensions, but the part that's shown in the movie is Paul coaching John on how to play it, not George.

theMess, ohnothimagen and The Beave like this.
  17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Didn't he play piano on that as well? I read somewhere George acknowledged Paul's contribution.

theMess likes this.
  18. O Don Piano

While I admire Yoko's singing, I don't think she had the melodic sense to do a solo like that.

19. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Not sure I believe I saw it on PBS when it aired.

theMess likes this.
  20. The Beave

But John did!
    Listen to it, Martin did some slowing down and then flanging of her vocal to emulate a guitar, not hard to do with her range.
    And it fits with the avant garde nature of what Lennon was trying to infuse into the Beatles at that time.
    Positively convinced it's her.
    Beave

21. O Don Piano

All right, knock it off! :nyah:

culabula and theMess like this.
  22. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I don’t know...it sounds like a guitar to me. Perhaps a guitar imitating Yoko, but still a guitar.

sekaer likes this.
  23. The Beave

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
    Ok...I will!
    But going back and forth between this thread and the
    Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD)
    Thread
    Is just driving me dog nuts!
    All this while listening to It's Only Rock And Roll on Japanese Platinum SHM on the OPPO 205.......
    I LOVE THIS PLACE!!
    BEAVE

theMess likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The Band sure weren't very democratic in splitting song writing credits or letting everyone get songs on the records. George made out a lot better being in The Beatles than the third best writer in The Band did.

25. The Beave

Even Hendrix couldn't make his guitar sound like THAT.
    BEAVE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.