Geraint Watkins- appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

Watkins soloalbums might be obscure but among musicians he is wellknown. Van Morrison, Mark Knopfler and Paul McCartney are among those who has used his service as a piano/ organ wizzard. He is also a longtome associate with Nick Lowe. One of his songs Only a Rose were honoured with being put on the Playlist on Dylans radioshow
    In a very quiet way he have released some fantastic soloalbums. I have 4 of them From 1997-s Bold as Love to the latest - this years Moustique. Those albums are among the very favourites in my whole collection. Stylistically Watkins move in the same territory as Nick Lowe but still with a style completely his own. Blues, Louisiana style rockn roll, soulballads,country, jazz and pop melts together in a sometimes pecular but never less than brilliant way. His jumpversion of Brian Wilssons Heroes and villains is one jawdropping example. He has a deep, soulful voice and above all- writes some gorgeous songs in a totally timeless style.. His albums are released with very little marketing on small labels. They certanely deserves to be heard among more than the group of connasiurs that know about him
    Would be fun to hear other opnions about this great musician

Jimmy Phelge and gripkey like this.
  2. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I have to admit that I was very much prejudiced as you seem to be all about "Macca is underrated" but you've surprised me recently by talking about some really good stuff like Doug Sahm and now even Geraint Watkins!!

It is a pity that his first LP from 1979 has never been rereleased. The one with the ugly "Steve Miller like" sleeve.
    Welsh legend Micky Gee guitar and recorded at Rockfield studios:

http://www.discogs.com/Geraint-Watkins-The-Dominators-Geraint-Watkins-The-Dominators/release/4453000

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  3. Bemagnus

Well Macca us only one part of my musical preferenses .And I think Watkins played on Run Devil run If I had to pick one favourite artist( har to do) I guessDoug Sahm is a contender)
    My inspiration for this thread was that I a few days ago found Watkins Bold as Love(in a secondhand store- payed 6 dollars for it.
    I never get tired of Watkins albums they rather continues to grow on me. Have seen him perform a few times with Nick Lowe and he s a very entertaining liveartist as well

gripkey likes this.
  4. bibijeebies

Great title Watkins Bold As Love....
    I mentioned his LP from 1979 though!

5. Bemagnus

Yeah I noticed that. I din t think I ever heard that album so a rerelease wouldn t be out of place. Anyway- nice to hear others who like this fine artist

6. Bemagnus

One great thing with Watknis is his arrangements-often very sparse and with focus on the song. He is a brilliant instrumentalist especially piano/organ but never indulge in unnecessary solos but he is an expert when it comes to building songs with tasty instrumental fills-

7. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I saw him with Dave Edmunds and he almost stole the show. Like Dave, a great entertainer.

davmar77 likes this.
  8. Bemagnus

Guess his roots are in the 70-s brittish pubrock . But just like Nick Lowe his music has moved on to something very mature and timelsess.

9. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Geraint plays some very lovely keyboard on a song I co-wrote with my friend Greg Townson. The song is called "Heart Be Still" from Greg's solo album On Your Side.

10. bibijeebies

11. Bemagnus

12. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I saw him once with Van Morrison in 1999,the best Van concert i've ever been to.

13. jfoley61

jfoley61 Forum Resident

I am a Geraint Watkins convert after seeing him open for, and then play in Nick Lowe’s band a few years back in NYC.

Back then Geraint played a bunch of great originals, but closed his opening set with his own special take on Chuck Berry’s Johnny B Goode. Definitely a memorable performance.

The new album “Moustique” is definitely recommended. I got my copy from The Jungle Record store on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERAINT-WAT...21389823158?pt=UK_Records&hash=item338bdc9cb6

For those in the London area, he is currently playing every other Sunday night with his band The Mosquitos at the Wheatsheaf, Tooting. Someone posted a clip from earlier this year here:

Maybe one of our UK members has seen him and can report on his recent shows? Hope Geraint makes it back to The States at some point…

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    Bemagnus likes this.
  14. Bemagnus

So pleased to hear that there are more admirers of this great artists out there. I have seen him perform a couple of times backing Van Morrison and Nick Lowe and opening for Nick Lowe, besides being a great singer/ songwriter he is a brilliant musician who rarely plays a note more than necceasy. On his
    case less definitely is more

gripkey likes this.
  15. heavysoulbrutha

heavysoulbrutha Forum Resident

I saw him open up for and perform with Nick Lowe a few years back. He was great!

Dennis Metz and Bemagnus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.