German Beatles White Album question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JPartyka, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stella

Stella Active Member

You're right, it does sound excellent. I traded in some throw away CD's and ended up getting it for $25 with all the proper inserts.

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Thank You!!!
    DMM's...Just like the old Mobile Fidelity your supposed to Play them multiple times before they start to 'Glow'.
    The Beave

3. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

My copy of the 2009 cd, the 2012 LP reissue, the 1978 British white vinyl, the UK DMM, 1983 Capitol Rainbow all have ample space between 'Cry Baby Cry' and 'Savoy Truffle'. At least 2 seconds. Almost like a full measure 4/4 count in space. The German DMM white, the songs practically run into each other! I think the inner groove tells the tale. Not a whole lot of space at the end. Maybe they thought they'd run out? So no, they aren't all like the German white Apple DMM as far as spacing goes. Possibly a unique cut of the whole album?

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have so many copies of the White Album that most would think I'm nuts, but yes, the German white vinyl has that direct run in to Cry Baby Cry. I have the orig. german press as well and it's like all other whites, a very nice listen. Only the U.S. copies that I own sound like crud. ...but I'm not nearly as UK centric as some others, only the UK white vinyl is -the one- in my opinion (for stereo) and for mono, the japan red vinyl '82. Just incredibly 3d for mono.

5. John Bliss

I totally agree. I just go where I hear a great vinyl version of something, whether that is UK, US, Japan, Germany, wherever. The UK White - white vinyl is a dandy! I have heard the 82 White mono but don't have one, They usually go for megabux or I'd buy one.

6. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I just checked on eBay last night because I've been jonesing for a White Vinyl DMM German White album for years. Alas, their up to a starting point of $299-so my trilogy of German DMM stays incomplete (1962-1966.1967-1970),
    I, for one, think these true DMM German issues sound unlike ANY OTHER PRESSING of the same albums from around the world. To me they sound absolutely stunning. I treasure mine, at least the ones I have.
    Not to be confused with the later British DMM pressings taken from the digital masters and sound very anemic and sterile to me. Two completely different animals.
    the beave

PhilBiker and levi like this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The German white vinyl DMM white album is my favorite stereo release of this album that I own. I do not own an early stereo Apple release though to compare it to. My favorite way to listen to this album is still my original top loader UK mono release ( #0108866 ). I had never checked the dead wax before and was happy to find -1 on four record sides. Keep the search up and I'm sure you'll find one. Have you ever posted WTB one in the classified section here.

PhilBiker likes this.
  8. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I was on that hunt for a long time, too, Beave. Finally found a VG+ White Vinyl DMM German on eBay in 2011 for a little over $110.

Good luck with your quest. Happiness is a warm sounding White Album. :cool:

Jeff

PhilBiker and The Beave like this.
  9. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Something I'll NEVER sell - got mine for less than the price of a regular white album, in a short-lived cutouts shop in Liverpool, circa 1986.

A terrific LP.

The Beave and John Bliss like this.
  10. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I picked up a very clean copy with "Printed and made in Germany by Heinrch Nicolaus G.m.b.H." below the song titles on the inside of the gate fold. The spine and label has 1C 192-04 173/174. It has the gold sticker Steve noted in this thread (eleven years ago :) ). It is a side loader, #128192. Discogs has it listed as a 1973 release.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Keep looking. I scored one on eBay for less than $100 several weeks ago, in pristine condition.

John Bliss likes this.
  12. Edgard Varese

I have one of those also, sounds great, but it has a skip on "Birthday". :shake:

13. John Bliss

I have 2 of them. One record has a pressing error on side 2, 2 labels stuck together which runs into the last 2 tracks 'I Will' and 'Julia'. It was my placeholder copy until I got a better one. Scored that one for 100, and got the other one also for $100 U.S. Awesome sound. I am waiting on a SMO German original I just won to complete all the Whites I am looking for. I also have a German Parlophone white vinyl DMM, which has the anemic dry sound to it, but still is pretty good. I like DMM in general though and can deal with the extra brightness.

14. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

My favorite stereo copy of the White Album also is the DMM German White Vinyl release.
    Stunning is a good word!

monomusic and John Bliss like this.
  15. Edgard Varese

I'd like the German top-loading SMO also, and a Japan EAS70001/2, and then I'm set. I think. :laugh:

16. Edgard Varese

Just picked up an EAS70001/2 for $23. :D

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree with everyone here who says that the DMM white vinyl German is the best sounding White Album but does anyone here have the red DMM German vinyl of 1962-1966? I find this to be very inconsistent.

18. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I bought all 3 new for $12.99 each....there was a box of them, should have bought them all at that price. I agree about the inconsistency, check out the blue Hey Jude, there's a huge volume boost as he starts the second verse.

PhilBiker likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You mean the blue DMM of '67-'70? I don't have it. How does the rest of it sound?

20. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

The rest is pretty nice, no complaints as far as that goes, this is best decided by each individual listener. I like all 3 and wouldn't get rid of them. It's nice to have the variety.

The Beave likes this.
  21. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

What other pressings have you compared that DMM "White" album to? Are you just referring to German pressings or does this also apply to the U.K. HTM white vinyl and an original UK tube cut?

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have about a dozen vinyl copies of The White Album including U.K., French, Japanese and Italian pressings all from the seventies as well as the MFSL from the eighties and the 90's pressing. The only mono vinyl I have (besides the new one) is an eighties U.K. pressing and I also have an original 60's U.S. pressing. The white vinyl DMM is the only German copy I own.

PhilBiker and The Beave like this.
  23. Edgard Varese

Of all the stereo copies I have, the white vinyl UK cut and the white DMM are the best, with the UK white vinyl beating the DMM by a hair.

Pros for the UK white: Lovely midrange and presence, vocals frequently sound as though the singer is in the room with you ("Honey Pie" is a good track for comparison). The SS cut provides a nice clarity.

Pros for the white DMM: May be the quietest cut I've ever owned. The cutting technique allows for larger deadwax areas, meaning less IGD or congestion on the later songs on each side of these long-sided LPs.

I really do like the all tube-cut -1/-1/-1/-1 original UK pressing also, but I think this is an album that benefits to some extent from solid state.

24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I'm listening to the 70's UK white vinyl WA right now. Have not played it in 30+ years. I don't remember where or when I purchased it. 1978? I know that it was brand new when I bought it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  25. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Mine is noisy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.