German Beatles White Album question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JPartyka, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

The German DMM of the Blue and Red sets are also good, if you like the sound of the German White Album DMM.

DK Pete likes this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I haven't found a copy of the blue but I do have one of the german red-vinyl DMM; in all honesty, it's a mixed bag but still worth having.

John Bliss likes this.
  3. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

DKPete - I agree. Not too long ago, I pitched in the trash, a good handful (perhaps as many as 15-20 records) of original 1960's Capitol pressings, of Beatles and Beach Boys records, that I had picked up over the years, and "had them just to have them". They were, in the case of the Beatles, completely gouged and scratched to all hell, and in the case of the Beach Boys, same condition, and on top of that, garbage Duophonic pressings. Being older and wiser, brings more wisdom, so there's no need to keep nonsense, just hogging up space.

As for the red and blues ... I do have the 1994 digital UK pressings and while I prefer the analog tape source versions, those do sound very, very good. Any "brightness" on those, isn't enough to deter me from listening to them.

John Bliss and DK Pete like this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

OK...glad I caught you on this...do you (or anyone here) happen to have the 2014 analogue re-issues of the red and blues? I'm less than super-pleased..especially with the red which I think actually sounds distorted on some of the tracks. I'd love for anyone who has these to chime in. While some tracks sounds rich and "clean", others sound like their in the red-no pun/joke imtended.

5. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Personally, I do not own any recent pressings, other than the 2014 mono box (which is beyond amazing) and the 2012 stereo Rubber Soul, which I think, to my ears, is awful. Forgive me if I come off like some kind of audiophile music snob - not my intention, but those digital stereo pressings from 2012 - I bought Rubber Soul and heard a few needledrops of others, and I just cannot stand them. My ears just do not like them at all. I know the red and blue you're referring to, is analog tape-based - I have not heard those yet. My guess is, I'd probably prefer the 1988 C1-9 purple label pressings.

DK Pete likes this.
  6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You don't sound snobbish at all, actually; you just hear things as you hear them. I happen to like the 2012 Rubber Soul and, for whatever it's worth, think that the high praise for the 2014 mono is a bit overstated. Everyone hears things differently; that's what makes "it" fun and interesting.

monomusic likes this.
  7. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I have 2 German Apple WA: 1 from the 70’s and 1 from the 80’s that has a barcode on the back (it came in a Blue Box). The second copy is new (as is the rest of the box). Now record 2 has a very short gap between Savoy Truffle and Cry Baby Cry. Both discs have bass from out of this world but record 2 sounds more detailed than record 1. Do you have any idea if this pressing is a mix of regular and DMM records in a regular cover?

DK Pete likes this.
  8. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Forum Resident

the only way to tell or read the dead wax. That will tell you everything you need to know

The DMM and 78 white export are the best sounding pressings out there

fishcane likes this.
  9. Deacon Blues

I think personally the Germans did the Beatles better than the uk. :shh:

fishcane likes this.
  10. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

...at least for "Rubber Soul" !!!

11. Deacon Blues

Never heard the German rubber soul actually. I have ADHN, WA, PPM, AR, REV. And help

12. Deacon Blues

Great now I have to get one... Thanks :p

13. Deacon Blues

have you heard help? It's like a remix. It's excellent

Oh I mean 70s German cuts.

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The original U.K. Red Album sounds like this too. Most of the distorted tracks are the Rubber Soul tracks. I have a hard time listening to them. To me, the 1965 stereo mix of Rubber Soul is terrible sounding.

DK Pete and Deacon Blues like this.
  15. sathvyre

German RS smokes the UK pressings by far.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It *does* sound better on CD than on vinyl, though (the original mix). Do you agree?

Deacon Blues likes this.
  17. Deacon Blues

The Beatles doing Dylan aka rubber soul was kind of a lazy sounding record. I still love it though

18. Deacon Blues

Which one though? I really only listen to this in mono

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have the Canadian CD with the 1965 mix and the version in the mono CD box. Haven’t listened to them in ages. I don’t think it would be a stretch to say that the CD versions sound better. I’ll have to listen again.

20. Deacon Blues

Same the Canadian. But.. This instead of Abbey road should have been the no brainer

21. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Does anyone else have the 172-10 black vinyl numbered release with a barcode? I recently picked this up on a trip to Hamburg, and on my modest system it sounds pretty great.

The Beatles - The Beatles

22. sathvyre

You can't go wrong with most of the german BEATLES vinyl pressings :)

John Bliss likes this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think it's a mixed bag as with pressings from say, Japan. Some aren't that great at all (German blue label, Odeon) while others are superb (Apple label). Of course I'm referring to 70's pressings as opposed to 60's originals.

John Bliss and forthlin like this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Add the German pepper to that list, it’s great

John Bliss likes this.
  25. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

The German White Album is the best I've ever heard--- I want one!

John Bliss and sathvyre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.