German Stones Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wmspence, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member Thread Starter

"Hi" to one and all!

I'm really not "new", although I have been lazy and haven't done a post here until now. This recent flurry of Stones posts has me going.

My question is if anyone is familiar with the German Decca LP Box "The Rolling Stone's Story"?? I think it came out in the late seventies or early eighties. Great vinyl collection with two volumes, although I never hear or read about it anywhere. The last time I did was at a record show in Framingham, MA about 12 years ago. I bought it when I lived in Kansas City years ago.

Anyhow, the first volume are the standard UK and German LP releases up to GYYYO and Metamorph...the second is a collection of "rare" music and singles not making these same albums.

Anybody know about this stuff???

Thanks.

Bill

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Bill, I bought 'em both when they came out. The second box had a bonus one-sided 45 of "********er Blues." The only legit release of that song I know of. I also have a 12 lp TELDEC box called the Rolling Stones Story which I've never listened to.

Mud-

Man, since I joined I am now appreciating all the wax I have.

3. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

If obtained for a reasonable amount (say, not much over 100 US$ for both in mint condition) this set and Rest of the Best are a fine way to have a Stones Decca collection.

Lots of overlaps but lots of jewels too. I doubt you'll ever feel a real need for more. Some of the covers are not the originals and some labels are not even Decca but Nova.

I wish for Stones collectors to go crazy over the SACDs and sell their MFSLs boxes at ebay for peanuts :angel:

4. wmspence

Mud,

Ya know, I grew up in the sixties and can still remember walking to Jack's Record Shop in Red Bank, NJ, to get each and every new release by the Stones......of course, Jack's is now famous because Bruce can often be found hanging out and signing his new releases there...........I've got most of the London mono stuff until I managed to get a stereo rig around the time "Buttons" came out.

Anyway, I wish the folks in this forum would relax a bit about the new reissues, which I have a bunch of and think sound pretty good. Can't we just "enjoy the music"??? I'm an audiophile and love great sound, but great sound had nothing to do with the music of the Stones. They were, to paraphrase Springsteen......just fun trying to figure out what they were singing!!!! Do we even really want to know????

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Bill, I used to go to a place named Modern Music in Baltimore to get my discs then I graduated to General Records & Radio which was downtown when I started working. They knew you, held stuff for you & just plain took care of you. These were the days before set release dates and a publications like ICE (and who could afford Billboard on $80 a week). Anyways, those were the days.

As to the new Stones stuff...Here I sit broken-hearted.....;)

I don't have any of 'em yet but they are ordered.:sigh:

Mud-

:cool:

6. axis

axis New Member

Bill, I'm not in front of my 'Rolling Stones Story' box right now, but I think it was issued in 1981. There are two variations of this 12 LP set. One has all the LP's in full color jackets. Their first LP even comes in an alternate cover that has a photo of Mick circa 1971 (give or take a year or two) and includes a poster.

The second variation has the LP's only in sleeves that are all identical, showing all the then current German Stones pressings. This second box came with 5 12" x 12" photos, one of each of the band. I haven't seen these photo's included in the first set mentioned.

Both sets are pressed on that wonderful Teldec Vinyl, and while not as good as original pressings, they are still of excellent sound quality.

I've had three sets over the years, paid as little as $60 for one and as much as $80 for the others. Seen them sell for $150 and over. One dealer was asking $300 for one at a show, but I know it went home with him at the end of the day.

Which set do you have, jackets or sleeves?

7. wmspence

Mr. Bone,

No one is mentioning "High Tide" but to my ears it sounds very, very good, both at home and in the car!! I have the UK Buttons and Aftermath, Flowers, Beggars, and LIB and like 'em all. I'm thinking I'll go after the "Singles Collection" this weekend as it is on sale at Newbury Comics in Boston for a slight $35. I almost grabbed the UK December's and Out of our Heads but thought I was acting like too much of a kid again!!! I'm doomed for sure!

Bill

8. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Bill, if you're married you sure are doomed. Spending all that moola!!:laugh:

I think my wife understands.....NAH !!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Mud-

9. wmspence

Hi, Axis.

Yup, I have the full cover jackets with the alternate cover for the first album. That's the one downer about the set. Otherwise the collection is wonderful!!!

Would you believe that I had a chance to buy the MFSL set for $120 back in 1986 and didn't because I had the Decca!!! Boy, I'm still kicking myself for that one. Natural Sound, in Framingham, MA was dumping their vinyl and this thing was still in the original shipping box!!! Yikes, what a dope I was. Well, that's why there are collector's items, huh??

Bill

10. wmspence

MB,

My ex-wife bought me the Decca thing. I guess she wasn't all bad!!!

Bill

11. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Axis, my original response to Bill was about two 4 lp boxes that weren't mirror images of each Stones lp. These were called The Rolling Stones Story Volumes 1 & 2. The other Decca box I have is a 12 lp box called The Rolling Stones Story (oddly enought) pressed by TELDEC. That one has a b&w photo (early) of the Stones.

I just wanna make sure we are all talking about the same boxests.

Mud-

12. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

At least you got custody of the boxset ! :D

Mud-

13. axis

axis New Member

Bill, I recall a record store in Tysons Corner selling what may have been their last MoFi box for $99.00 many years ago. Not being a Stones fan at the time (hey, we were all young and stupid at some point in our lives) I let that slip by. Fortunately I managed to get one for $50 at a record show about 5 or 6 years ago. The clasp on the box was broke and the Geo disk and booklet were missing, but still one hell of a deal.

14. axis

axis New Member

Mud, I was referring to the 12 LP box also called 'The Rolling Stones Story' (6.30120) released in 1980. The companion box set to that is one a 4 LP set called 'The Rolling Stones Story - Part 2' on the spine and 'the rest of the best The Rolling Stones* Single Tracks and Rarities From The Decca Period' on the front of the box (6.30125) released in 1983. The note on the box state "This box contains ...fifty different recordings from 1963 to 1970. On these four discs you'll find all those recordings of The Rolling Stones that did not appear the twelve Decca albums that were originally issued in Germany". I'm not familiar with a 4 LP box set that was called 'The Rolling Stones Story' that was a volume one. Any info you have on that would be appreciated.

15. Drlep

Drlep Forum Resident

Queries about German 12-lp box "The Rolling Stones Story":

1). Mono mixes or stereo mixes?
    2). How would you rate pressing quality?
    3). How would you rate sonic quality, particularly in comparison with other vinyl editions of these albums, incl. the MFSL box? Quality of the masters used?

Thanks for any insights you can provide. Until this thread I had NEVER heard about this set, which sounds wonderful!

16. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Yep, I think what's been mentioned already just about covers it: Both boxes came out in the early 80s; Volume 1 was a 'core collection' of Stones 60s LPs. I think the 'UK' versions were used - in the interests of avoiding duplication, things like 'December's Children' and 'Flowers' weren't included, although Teldec reissued these albums too at the same time. One addition to the box however was the European-only 'Around & Around' album, a 60s compilation of early singles and EP tracks, which also featured - until the current CD remasters - the only appearance of the full-length, unedited '2120 South Michigan Avenue'. There were some differences in artwork here and there, eg a title added to the front cover of 'Rolling Stones Vol. 2' and a thick black border around 'Out Of Our Heads'
    Volume 2 was designed to round up all the leftovers, so includes some rare B-sides, exclusive material from 'Decembers' and 'Flowers' and other rarities like the UK 'Got Live If You Want It' EP, Italian-vocal version of As Tears Go By, some Andrew Loog Oldham tracks the Stones played/sang on etc etc... Initial copies did indeed include a bonus 1-sided 7" of '********er Blues' but these were withdrawn when Decca claimed that Teldec hadn't cleared it with them first(!) But one genuine rarity slipped through: masquerading as 'Tell Me (2nd Version'" is the often-bootlegged 1964 Chess studios outtake 'Tell Me Baby (How Many Times)' It's poor quality mono - mastered from an acetate, or maybe a bootleg! - but it's definitley there. Decca obviously didn't give it a listen - presumably they assumed it was the single edit of 'Tell Me' or something, instead of the Muddy Waters/Big Bill Broonzy blues classic.
    I've got a copy of this box (but it's not to hand right now - I can post the tracklisting in a day or 2 if it's of interest?) It's pretty rare - I've been going to record collectors' fairs for 10-15 years and have never ever seen a copy for sale - I had to order mine as a special import, but it was well worth it, it's a great compilation: terrific content and great packaging (in a box which mimics the cover design/typography of 'Out Of Our Heads')
    John

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

John is correct. As to my earlier statement about two 4 lp boxes..well...my vinyl is more or less difficult to get to. And since I have to rely mainly on my memory (which is fading) I thought it was 2 4 lp boxes. WRONG! Upon checking my confusion came in because I have 2 copies of Volume 2. I bought one as backup since it was chock full of rarities. I do also have the 12 lp box. Sorry for any confusion. I need to re-acquint myself with all the vinyl I have since it's been (in some cases) 18 years since I've listened to some of it. I got into the cd fad early and have exclusively been listening to cds since. I just got my turntable repaired and in working condition last year but I am definitely getting a new one.

Mud-

18. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Might I also mention that Volume Two has the entire "Got Live If You Want It" EP with no fades between songs. Plus "I've Been Loving You Too Long" without the fake crowd noise. This box does indeed contain some very rare tracks that at that time were available nowhere else and maybe still aren't.

I will have to re-listen to some of the tracks to determine mono/stereo content.

Mud-

The Beave likes this.
  19. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

For those of you that may want to find this:

The Rolling Stones Story - Volume Two - DECCA - 6.30126 (4 LPs) FX

Mud-

20. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Make that 6.30125

Sheesh....

Mud-