Gerry Anderson's SUPERCAR is now on DVD from A&E

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Goody. When I was a little kid I loved this show. I guess it's because there was a little kid on the show (Jimmy) who got to live with Mike Mercury and two neat lovable scientists and got to ride in a flying car instead of living with his parents and having to go to school and stuff. Oh, and he got to have a monkey, Mitch. Ohh ohh ooh ooh Arrrrhhhh.

Attached Files:

2. Steve Hoffman

I just loved these guys!

Dr. Beeker, Mitch the Monkey, Jimmy, Mike and Prof. Popkiss. Heh.

Attached Files:

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I've already got my order in for the discs of Fireball XL5 :agree: Gerry Anderson had a natural gift when it came to creating these shows :agree:

All the best - Andrew

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

What is funny is that I am now 50, and the way that I learned (When I was little), the difference between horizontal and vertical, was by this very show. When he lifted off, he would say something like "Commencing vertical drive", then "Engaging Horizonal Drive". I may not have the quotes correct, but this is how I learned the definitions. To this day, I still remember that, and I have not seen this show since the mid '60!!

It's weird how you learn things!!!

PS - Fireball XL5 was my favorite GA show.

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

And the puppets were no worse than the Rankin/Bass stuff, and just as endearing, although you gotta wonder who came up with the idea that professors had to be bald.:D

The significance of the monkey--both here and in SPEED RACER(which is also out in a box set)--escapes me. I mean, how many people ever own a chimp? If Sabrina could survive with a talking cat and Wilbur with a talking horse, you'd think a talking dog would have worked just as well.

ED:cool:

6. Steve Hoffman

ME TOO! Funny, eh? They went into great length doing their take off's. I loved that little tape recorder going in the background in the flight control room. It must have been about the size of a little pocket machine with those tiny reels but behind the puppets it looked much bigger....

7. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Hell, I just wanted the damn CAR!!!!

8. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that too.

I really liked the family aspect of the show though. A little band of good guys raising a kid, everyone getting along and fighting the bad guys. Heck, I STILL like it.

9. Steve Hoffman

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Oooops. Now I have to clean my cache!! :shh:

This, of course, is another example of the "vertical drive" :D:sigh: ;)

11. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

I'll have to rent one of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.