Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street. It’s 40 years old!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

It was the year I moved from Wisconsin to Tucson, AZ, a 2000+ mile drive. My brother accompanied me. We drove a 1964 Valiant station wagon. All my belongings fit in it. 90% of the weight and space was taken up by my already large LP collection. This Valiant was SAGGING in the rear. We went by way of Denver. On some of the long mountain grades I was barely making 30 mph. All we had was the Valiant's AM radio. The two songs I remember hearing the most were Baker Street and for some reason, the already 3 year old Bee Gee's song Nights On Broadway, which we sang along with by pinching our throats and jiggling them to get the vibrato for Robins part "I had to follow you, though you did not want me to". But Baker Street was played at least once per hour on that trip.

mrgroove01 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

It’s amazing how a song can instantly take you back to a specific time.

3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

What a terrific song, and this post below is a great description. The song just sounds like summer. :cool:

4. padreken

padreken Senior Member

I have been on a major Rafferty binge of late, sparked by the outstanding reissues by Intervention Records of the Stealers Wheel albums. Hoping City to City and Night Owl are next!

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Man, it would be awesome to get Night Owl on SACD from IR!

6. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

The iconic sax part was originally going to be played on guitar. Rafferty was an OCD drunk who when drunk, would make the most acerbic comments towards his fellow band mates. He was one seriously tough cookie to work with. Baker Street was the song and to a slightly lesser degree the album it emanates from where, his meticulous attention to detail and his at times verbal violence, combined to make something truly special. Problem was, it was always a toxic mix and Rafferty also had no time for "showbiz", so his record company were always fighting with him over touring and promotion. If you want a measure of how tough Rafferty could be, even John Martyn thought he was ;"Bloody hard work" as a person.

Northwind likes this.
  7. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Really? Tineye.com found no matches.:)

8. Dok

Dok Senior Member

The artist John Byrne that did the cover relates what happened in the documentary.

9. JoblessJoe

JoblessJoe Well-Known Member

This song will always be max volume when it comes on. Pure magic.

10. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

One of the best songs from my favourite year in music. I still love it as much today as I did when I was 7/8 years old. I'll play it at least once everyday.

11. Bobby Morrow

Baker Street was always there when you'd just heard Rivers Of Babylon and You're The One That I Want for the thousandth time on the radio.:)

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its a song that really defined that summer. Clock radio clicks on at 7. Baker Street usually on. Morning sun shining in the windows, perfect temperature summer breeze coming off the salt water. After work I'd get together with friends and my GF and find a secluded place to park, have a beach fire, beer, pass a joint. Best part about the album was Right Down the Line followed it.

13. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

What? You mean it wasn't Bob Holness? ;)

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great song from a talented guy.

15. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Big fan of the Man and here are awards for Baker Street and City to City.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

In a taxi yesterday with my family, guess what came on the radio. My mum said "I'm trying to think what this is called..."

So I naturally announced the title and artist and (like I said early in this thread) that it has to be the first single I got hold of. Then I said I knew a fair bit about the artist - was going to mention about his 'association' with Billy Connolly and possibly about the urban myth that Bob 'Blockbusters' Holness is the sax player..!

But you can tell when people would rather be thinking of what the weather might or might not do (even on the way home!) And so I asked if I should continue and received a reply in the negative. I then thought that it is no wonder that forums such as this exist. :cry: You know what I'm saying here!! :p

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

I think many of us have had those, “Don’t start going on!” moments.:D

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  18. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Sometimes I wish I could do something like this and keep a straight face. :shh:

But I'd feel ever so guilty! ;)

Dondy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I've been searching out the used vinyl when in London record shops for Gerry's other albums. I already own Night Owl on cd but so far picked up - Snakes and Ladders, Sleepwalking and North & South. Need to get his other albums when I see them. Used to own a cd of the Humblebums with Billy Connolly.

A nice Rafferty box set wouldn't go amiss.

Carlox likes this.
  20. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Is this the same mix/version as the LP version?

21. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

One of the greatest singles ever!!!! Did he tour to support City to City? I've never seen/heard any live performances of those songs, and I'd love to.

22. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

Well here we go:

George P and OneStepBeyond like this.
  23. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

More Interesting Facts, From the liner notes of the Brand X album that Ravenscroft appears on:
    • Played by John Goodsall, Robin Lumley, John Giblin, Philip Collins, and Raf Ravenscroft, who in his spare time is a Battle Of Britain fighter station. All the sound effects, i.e. ducks, birds, rainfall, and ants having their feelers stapled together were recorded live.

24. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Great song. The saxophone line is fabulous and the guitar solo is pretty great too.

25. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

According to Discogs: "Features both the 7"(4:08) and LP versions(5:56) of "Baker Street"."

dgstrat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.