Gerry & the pacemakers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Only released one album in the UK, apart from a soundtrack album that is.
    Surprised.

Crimson Witch and Damiano54 like this.
  2. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I did not know that! One quick look at Wikipedia proved that!

3. alexpop

And the album title and a big UK number one hit single is not even on it.

4. alexpop

Argh factor !
    Title (hit single) not on album.
    Picked up the UK LP for 5.00

5. alexpop

No Gerry fans here ?

tables_turning and WLL like this.
  6. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Very interesting. I would have never guessed that considering they had a few albums released in the U.S. I also came across this in cyberspace:

Unreleased third album
    After Ferry Cross the Mersey, Gerry and the Pacemakers returned to the studio, apparently with an eye to making a third UK album. The British pop scene had by now changed significantly, with The Beatles' Rubber Soul having come out not terribly long after Ferry Cross The Mersey in 1965, and the pop scene changed quite rapidly thereafter. Gerry and the Pacemakers had failed to move with the times, and the UK record release was abandoned, effectively marking the beginning of the end of their career as a recording act.
    There is little clear information available on plans for subsequent UK projects after Ferry. I do not know if there were any test acetates or rough running orders assembled for a third album, or if the album ever got beyond rough planning stages before being spun off into singles, EPs and unreleased tracks. There are also some reports of a planned trilogy of EPs for 1965, starting with Rip It Up, which would have consisted of new recordings of classic rock songs. How such an EP trilogy would have related to a third album is unclear.

Presuming that a third album was on the drawing board for 1966 release, there are up to 18 known songs that might be attributed to such a project, four of which appeared on UK singles before the album was finally abandoned.

A little over a dozen songs from these sessions did surface immediately in North America on (US) Laurie Records' Girl On a Swing and Canadian Capitol's Today! album, as well as a few singles. Three additional tracks were finally released in 1984 on a compilation LP. The re-issuing of these tracks has been irregular, with some occasionally popping up on compilation CDs or as bonus tracks. All have most recently appeared on a Hungarian CD re-issue of Girl on a Swing, which also includes Gerry's first four late-60s solo singles (A and B sides).

The following tracks appeared on US Laurie Girl on a Swing (LLP 2037):

• At The End Of The Rainbow
    • Girl On A Swing (Columbia DB 8044)
    • Guantanamera
    • La La La (Columbia DB 7835)
    • Looking For My Life
    • Pretty Flamingo
    • See You In September
    • Strangers In The Night
    • The Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine
    • The Way You Look Tonight
    • Who Can I Turn To
    • Without You (Columbia DB 7835)
      The following songs appeared on Canadian Capitol Today! (T6181):
    • On a wonderful day like today
    • Tonight
      An isolated UK B-side:
    • Fool To Myself (UK single -- Columbia DB8044)
      The following three songs were unreleased until the 1984 LP The Very Best of Gerry and the Pacemakers (Music For Pleasure MFP 41 5654 1) and are by some reports extracts from the "Third Album" sessions (though they may be from the projected 1965 EP trilogy):
    • Hallelujah I Love Her So
    • Come Back To Me
    • When Oh When

7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Gerry & The Pacemakers will be touring in September as part of the British Invasion Reunion tour along with Billy J. Kramer, Denny Laine, the Searchers and Chad & Jeremy.

8. nowhere-man-in-e

nowhere-man-in-e Senior Member

Me! We saw Gerry and The Pacemakers on July 6, 1973 at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. They were part of a British Invasion tour with Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders, The Searchers, Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas and Herman's Hermits. Their set list: How Do You Do It, Boppin' The Blues, Ferry Cross The Mersey, Sweet Little Sixteen, Days I Spent With You, Slow Down, Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying, I Like It, You'll Never Walk Alone and Give Peace A Chance.

9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm a Gerry fan. "It's Gonna Be Alright" is the epitome of the mersey sound in my opinion. Love that opening riff on the full version.

10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I was at that Merriweather Post show as well and it was great. Hard to believe it was 41 years ago.
    I think that the Pacemakers adopted the same marketing strategy as the Dave Clark Five, which was to concentrate on the US market, where they were a bit exotic as part of the British Invasion, as opposed to the UK, where they were anything but. As a result, they released a number of albums here that didn't come out in their home country.
    Of course, the bigger distinction was that, while Brian Epstein managed Gerry and company, the DC5 had a real [insert proper descriptive here] for a manager. Plus, Gerry actually wrote songs.

zelox, Paul F, goodiesguy and 3 others like this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Have we had a Chad and Jeremy vs. Peter and Gordon poll yet :)

12. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

How Do You Like It? was my second LP ever - bought back in 1963. I still have my original mono LP (dreadful condition) and an immaculate 1963 stereo pressing that I bought maybe 20 years ago.

Although I loved the LP I didn't buy How Do You Do It - the 45 - until 10 years ago.

My favourite track of theirs is Jambalaya.

alexpop likes this.
  13. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

I can't stand "How Do You Do It?" (the song itself, not their performance) and felt they kind of stopped The TAMI Show in its tracks, but reading Tune In has made me curious to listen to more of their stuff, especially if -- as noted above -- it's more representative of the Mersey sound.

14. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Check out the EMI Legends comp on CD a very nice collection.

alexpop likes this.
  15. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Love Gerry and The Pacemakers! I have a couple of vinyl albums....and a great 4 CD set that has just about everything they ever did !!! Fantastic stuff !!! Looking forward to this Fall British Invasion Tour...I'll be there !!!!!!

Dennis Metz and alexpop like this.
  16. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Pelvis Ressley and alexpop like this.
  17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Love love love Gerry & the Pacemakers!

alexpop likes this.
  18. NE-1

NE-1 Member

the beatles were smart not to release the song

dustybooks likes this.
  19. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Yeah is that the 4 disc set? I think that's the one I have....the four disc set has it all !! Great stuff? I only saw 4 US shows on the British Invasion tour this September....are there more to be scheduled? Thanks...

20. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

One of my fave bands of the British Invasion. I own everything including their doinky movie. Met Gerry at Beatlefest. Nice man.

John B likes this.
  21. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I was referring to the single disc but I'll check out the box set. Thanks!

22. RoryStorm

RoryStorm Forum Resident

Oh OK...you are probably right....I do not have my set in front of me....but I know I found it accidently in a Newbury Comics last year...and I grabbed the sucker right away !!! Tons of tracks !

melstapler likes this.
  23. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

That's the only CD I have by them.
    [​IMG]

fortherecord likes this.
  25. alexpop

Gerry's version blows the moptops attempt. I like it. :)

Michael and dewey02 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.