Get a haircut and get a real job : Rockers who got real jobs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick sakka, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

His brother Robert was an engineer at Schecter guitars and actually designed the prototype for the bass he used/uses in STP...

The DeLeos are no ********.

stonesfcr likes this.
  2. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

At one point, according to the "Chalkhills and Children" bio, Dave and Colin were delivering or moving cars around the U.K.

Mister Triscuits and somnar like this.
  3. Farmer Mike

Vudi from the American Music Club was a bus driver in L.A.
    Tommy Stinson worked as a telemarketer for a time before Axl called
    Angie Carlson from Let's Active and Grover has worked in music journalism , P.R. and for a couple of labels.
    Dave Gilbert, the late singer for the Detroit band, the Rockets, worked for a company that built seawalls on the many lakes in the suburbs of Detroit

They aren't exactly rockers, Phillip Glass worked as a cab driver and as a plumber.
    Charles Ives was a very successful insurance executive and pioneered modern estate planning.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    royzak2000 and somnar like this.
  4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

It's because there seems to be a lot of people in California that all they do is sell houses to each other.;)

5. Farmer Mike

uzn007 likes this.
  6. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

lol. So true.

7. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

It keeps him off the booze too and that is the most important thing. Golf saved Alice and we should be thankful for that. His shows are incredible and we should be greatful.

Runicen and Dozey like this.
  8. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

"So why should I buy this house , Mr. Schmidt?" "I can't tell you why " :)

9. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

I saw some of these photos on display in Dunfermline at (I think) the Andrew Carnegie Birthplace Museum. I liked them but did not know the connection, nor was it mentioned.

Blank Frank likes this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

In the mid-60s, Glass and Steve Reich co-owned a moving company called Chelsea Light Moving, a name Thurston Moore borrowed decades later for a band name and album title.

phillyal1 likes this.
  11. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

One day in the Nineties, I was walking in the East Village with my wife , and coming towards me in a sleeveless undershirt (it was summer ) was Phillip Glass. I don't think he did much of the moving :)

12. aeo12

aeo12 Forum Resident

Again stretching a bit from rock, Steve Trott of the original Highwaymen (#1 hit in 1961 with "Michael" aka "Michael, Row the Boat Ashore") became a judge on the US Appeals Court for the 9th Circuit (active 1987-2004). The original Highwaymen stopped performing in 1964 with most members like Trott getting jobs outside music, but they reunited in 1987 and performed a few concerts a year and did some recording as their real jobs permitted up till 2010. In 1990 they sued the latter day Highwaymen (Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson) over use of the "Highwaymen" name. The suit was settled out of court with the original group licensing use of the name to the latter day group in exchange for the two groups doing a concert together in Hollywood in 1990.

13. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Mark Edwards from Steeler is a billionaire with a number of different businesses including a pizza chain and a software company.

14. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Rob Dean is one of my favorites. After Japan's first few albums, Gary Numan's Dance and Sinéad O'Connor's first album:

Dean's principal activity now is as a professional ornithology writer and artist on the birds of Central America. He lives in Monteverde, Costa Rica, and, now known as Robert Dean, has established a reputation as an expert on the region's birdlife. In 2007 Dean collaborated as illustrator on a field guide (along with author Richard Garrigues), entitled The Birds of Costa Rica: A Field Guide,[3] and in 2010 (with author George Angehr) on The Birds of Panama: A Field Guide. He has been reported as occasionally playing guitar with local bands including Monteverde's rock band Chanchos de Monte, fronted by Alan Masters.

Rob Dean - Wikipedia

mtvgeneration likes this.
  15. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

‘Love will keep us alive and all, but I need that seven percent realtor commission to make my car payment.’

phillyal1 likes this.
  16. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

When I worked in the music biz in royalties, a lot of the people I worked with were professional musicians who took this office job for the benefits and regular pay check...guys who played sessions and in pick-up bands and weddings and Broadway pit orchestras....one dude was in the Fab Faux (considered to be the best Beatles tribute band) with bassist Will Lee of Letterman and session fame

Bigbudukks and uzn007 like this.
  17. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Colin worked for The Sun Alliance and London Insurance Co late 60's/early 70's. (as did I, same time, different branch)

18. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

@Chrome_Head 's thread on the new Dead Meadow album made me think of another example. Their original drummer Mark Laughlin left the band after their fourth album to attend law school and get a proper job as a lawyer. In his case, it was the real job that didn't last, as he returned for (sixth album) Warble Womb (although it seems that he left the band again thereafter).

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Thought Laughlin came back though? He didn't stay? Who's on drums now?

20. Demolitionman

Demolitionman Well-Known Member

"Kid Chaos/The Kid/Haggis" - Stephen Harris - bassist for The Cult for a stint, is a Medical Doctor.

mdm08033 likes this.
  21. talangan

talangan Well-Known Member

Robert A. Leonard of Sha Na Na became a Forensic Linguist and can be seen on at least one episode of "Forensic Files."

22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Dave Meniketti, lead singer/lead guitar Y&T....Also has Meniketti wines and his wife Jill is an author and manages the band.

23. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Wikipedia has it as Juan Londono, formerly of Strangers Family Band (who were also on DM's Xemu label). Looking up the new release on Discogs, however, it seems that both Laughlin, Londono and Stephen McCarty did drum parts on the album - either they've had some of these tunes lying around, or everyone is halfway between the band and a regular job :laugh:

24. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Pretty much everybody who has ever been in The Fall (aside from Mark E. Smith).

25. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Pete Townshend worked for a while as an editor at Faber and Faber.

The lead singer of Bad Religion, Greg Graffin, Ph.D., has lectured at Cornell and UCLA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.