Get a haircut and get a real job : Rockers who got real jobs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick sakka, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Dee Snider basically worked at his wife's wedding agency in the '90s.

2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Let's face it 99.9% of all rockers either got a "real" job or went out feet first beforehand.

Anyway Blondie's keyboard player Jimmie Destri was a housing contractor of sorts for awhile.

3. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident

Jah Wobble worked for the underground railways, Bruce Slesinger aka “Ted” The Dead Kennedy’s first drummer, left to become a architect and Jason Everman, played in both Nirvana and Soundgarden, he ended up in the US Military in the Special forces, serving with distinction

4. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Jason Everman, who played with Nirvana, Soundgarden, and OLD, joined the US Army, subsequently serving with the Army's 2nd Ranger Battalion and later with the Special Forces, serving tours in Afghanistan and Iraq.

5. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Well, once the old folks included his buddy Glen Campbell, that's all right with me!

WMTC likes this.
  6. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Rose Tattoo’s Angry Anderson has been known to get down and dirty as a builder’s labourer when gigs are not forthcoming.

7. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Ron Blair ran a swimwear store between his two spells with TP and the Heartbreakers.
    Vini "Mad Dog" Lopez went from E-Street Band to working in a country club.

8. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

For more obscure acts usually I find out through the YouTube comments on their music videos full of people saying, "Hey, it's my English teacher!!!" The lead singer from the late 90s britpop band Straw among others.

9. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Dave Rowntree, Blur’s drummer, is a solicitor.

10. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

Well, Greg Gaffin's still in Bad Religion but he's actually a scientist and teacher. Not as good as the David Lee Roth one I admit.

11. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

mcchocchoc likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Jimmy Buffett = Real Estate Mogel -> Margaritaville

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

highway chile and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

15. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

This might stray a slight bit from what the OP is looking for but I'll say it anyway- I know or have known a number of excellent rock musicians (among others) who pretty much have always had to have a day job because, unlike the small percentage in the music business who made it big, they have to. It's a shame how our culture does not support/reward highly talented artists of all types- musicians, painters, writers, dancers, song writers, etc.

16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

He was going to run in a federal election for The National Party but never got the preselection.

Linus likes this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lots of Australian female singers end up working for the ABC (Australian government owned broadcaster)

Rick Bartlett and Weirwolfe like this.
  18. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: As did Bobby Sherman in Los Angeles. He also became s Sheriff in San Bernardino:

[​IMG]

19. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Pete Willis-Def Leppard is I believe an estate agent
    Tony Bourge-Budgie is I believe a furniture polisher

Lynivevoli and Weirwolfe like this.
  20. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Did nobody mention that Brian May became an astrophysicist? I must have missed it.

Not so much a job in the traditional sense, but Bill Berry ran his own farm after leaving R.E.M., I believe. (Hey, pun!)

I had another fantastic example reading through here, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Will have to report back when I remember.

21. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

In what world is running a farm not a job ?

22. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Lynivevoli and vonwegen like this.
  23. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I worded that incredibly poorly, it's 3 AM and I'm distracted. I meant that when you think of jobs, you think of office workers or stuff like that, not a farmer. Farmer is by far the most valuable job in history, and it's a pity they rarely make enough to scrape by and are often seen as lesser to, say, the guy who sits behind a desk and pretends to know stuff all because someone was impressed by papers signed by someone in a building you have to pay a lot of money to study in.

I probably worded that incredibly poorly too. Maybe we should start hiring farmers to be our bosses. Sure, they wouldn't know anything about the job... but would that change anything? :p

EDIT: I realize now that my comment on farmers reads as facetious. I mean that whole-heartedly. It's a crime that they're treated the way they are.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  24. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Bay City Rollers drummer Derek Longmuir became an Physio Therapist.

25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

He didn't have to become one, he was born one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.