“Get Back” by the Beatles - A True Original

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

there is no 7th chord in revolution #9 :)

John B likes this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Amazing how many folks hear an organ where I hear electric piano.

But anyway, just after the piano solo, those cymbal slams from Ringo are so in the pocket with the rhythm and the rest of the band that now I understand what intense rehearsals and many takes can do for a song - making it sound effortlessly tight.

ParloFax likes this.
  3. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It’s not a hammond on Get Back and Don’t Let Me Down though. It”s a fender rhodes electric piano. (Or a wurlitzer, can’t remember)

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  4. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Rhodes

Kim Olesen and ohnothimagen like this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Summer of 1969 it topped the singles charts. Honky Tonk Woman was my other favorite 45 I owned at the time.

Two wonderful hits, unforgettable times. I wish I could go back to those times again. But playing the records, especially if you own clean originals is pretty close to going back. Closest you'll ever get anyway.

6. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I'm over it so much I could stand never hearing it again.

7. Jazz guitarist John McLaughlin, who was already active in the 60s in England including as a session musician, was a fan of The Beatles in their days. He quoted the full melody line of the verse of Get Back a few times during a concert I have taped off the radio, with his trio featuring Dennis Chambers and Joey DeFrancesco.

8. Yes, I realize that, I've seen the pictures. The OP called out an organ. Sometimes Billy even played a real piano. I was just saying that a Hammond organ was usually in the studio when the Beatles recorded. Billy often played a Hammond organ in his own recordings.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Can't say off the top of my head for sure if anyone actually plays a 7th chord (though I believe they do), but the riff itself contains a D played over an E chord which makes it into an E7 at that time.

Seltarb likes this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I have compiled an 80 minute CD-R of nothing but evolving versions of Get Back from Nagra recordings

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

There is at least one version with Hammond. But all the released versions have the EP.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I believe they probably used that on prisoners at Gitmo! :D
    Although I do like the fast Lennon sung version, and the German version too.

Rfreeman and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Think I heard the song the first time when I borrowed either the compilation CD 1 or a cassette copy of Let It Be from our local library.
    Actually I was more excited about the b-side 'Don't Let Me Down' when I bought the Blue Album afterwards tbh. Thought it was some sequel to 'Hey Jude' hence the title/words came first on that song.^^

DK Pete likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I remember that. "Geh raus aus deinem Haus!" or something.

ParloFax likes this.
  15. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

How can I make my own? Do you have a list of the relevant cuts taken from say the 30 days tapes?

Is it worth doing?

16. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

That had to be a joke. Day Tripper is all 7ths until you get out of the verse anyway.

Seltarb and John B like this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That night when I heard the Get Back debut, the radio station played DLMD about a half hour later WITHOUT announcing it. I could tell it was The Beatles (the distinct Lennon voice) and absolutely loved it right off the bat...much more, at that time, than I liked Get Back.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

For a while I prefered the version from Let It Be... Naked because of the harmony vocals right in the beginning which, to me, is stronger than the original single version. The song itself is beautiful in either way.

DK Pete likes this.
  19. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

• That was my initial thought too. Nik knows his Beatles v. well. I intended to listen closely. Haven’t got a good reason to do it and don’t want to take the easy way out. Nik could be yanking our chains or pulling our legs depending where we live.

Seltarb likes this.
  20. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

You could make a case that not much in their catalog sounds like "I've Got a Feeling".

Or "Dig a Pony"

Or that version of "One After 909" (the Beatles weren't known for playing fast, but is that maybe among the fastest outside "I've Just Seen a Face"?)

John B likes this.
  21. John B

You have inspired me to relisten to LIBN. When it was released, I was so bummed by the sonics. NR on stun to the point it hurt the vocals. There was no need but it was trendy at the time. I am enough of a Beatle nerd that I am happy to listen to any different presentation that leads to an insight. I will listen to the harmony of which you speak.

feinstei9415 and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. John B

Agreed. I was aware as I opened the thread that the Beatles varied their presentation of a song more than anyone I can think of.

Get Back was one that struck me when I first heard it as being completely different.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Did you guys get the Get Back 45 US single with the fine font titling on label or the thick bolder type font printed?

My first copy was the fine font. Good sounding single with that deep bass especially on DLMD.

I consider it a double A side 45, but that might be just me I know.

DK Pete likes this.
  24. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

My favorite Beatles song. :)

StereoMan56 and quicksrt like this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Lennon seems to have gotten his way, and kept the George Martin slickness off of both sides of this single. That might account for the difference here.

But to me it just an extension of the white albums' rough and raw approach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.