"Get Out" (2017) -- new horror film looks extremely freaky

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got out of the movie. Big thumbs up from me. And the guy RayS mentions above is indeed very funny and provides some much-needed comic relief.

Also greatly enjoyed John Wick 2, btw. Looking forward to the next chapter -- wherein, it would seem, every single person in the world will be out to get Keanu! :D

RayS likes this.
  2. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I found him to a be a total cliche'. The only positive thing I can say about the movie is that a did a nice job providing some really weird minor characters.

Whoever Jordan Peele is, I'm kinda surprised he fails to realize that if you're constantly dropping f-bombs, you don't have very much to say.

Maybe you have to be familiar with some film from the past to enjoy it more, but jeez, I coulda done without it.

GodShifter and Paulwalrus like this.
  3. Monosterio

Here are two of those films from the past. If that thread about "Movie A + Movie B = Movie C" were still active, I would list:

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner + The Stepford Wives = Get Out

Vidiot and peopleareleaving like this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

If you feel the film didn't "have very much to say", we either didn't see the same film, or we have very, very different sensibilities.

Characters using profanity doesn't MAKE them funny. It also doesn't make them NOT funny (unless it upset's one's sensibilities, and that's what ratings systems and disclaimers are for).

5. RayS

Apart from the obvious ones that have been mentioned in reviews, the work that this film brought to my mind was the novel ...

Immortality, Inc.

Which was adapted into the (bomb) film "Freejack".

6. Combination

Well, I just learned something new about "Freejack"! :p

7. Combination

See, people always think that if you mention dropping f-bombs, that you must be offended and should consult a ratings guide.

That is not it at all. It is simply tiresome and boring, and a zillion other movies have already done that (and will continue to do so, I'm sure).

I did not think the movie was some sort of clever comment on race, etc. Sorry.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  8. Monosterio

Don't you guys get my thread shut down, now! :D

Malina and sparkydog like this.
  9. RayS

Yup, different sensibilities, in both regards.

And I used the "spoiler" button to not give away plot elements via the mention of another novel/film. Clearly a waste of my time, since you named the movie about 30 seconds later in your response. Yeah, different sensibilities.

numer9 likes this.
  10. Combination

Boy, you must get a royalty for every time you use the word "sensibilities". I honestly can't remember enough about the other film you mentioned. In any case, it was no one's intention to waste your time, which is no more or less valuable than anyone else's. And it's okay for someone to not enjoy the same things you do. It doesn't mean that they failed to grasp something. Enjoy your Sunday. :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Paulwalrus and Scott222C like this.
  11. I still want to see this even if I am avoiding reading too much about it.

12. Peele is a comedian/writer/actor (and now director). His online stuff with Key is pretty terrific IMHO.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  13. RayS

Yes, I drop a lot of "s" bombs because I don't really have anything to say.

But I do understand the point of a "spoiler".

You have a wonderful Sunday as well.

14. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

Get Out was great! Definitely worth seeing this one in the theater rather than waiting for it to be on the small screen.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

With all the accompanying hype this film is generating, my hopes were high. That said, it was good, but not a great film. Entertaining to a certain degree. From what I read before viewing, it's a comedy/horror hybrid. I found it to be a bit "lite" in both areas. The best part was the kid from the UK in the lead. He starred in a Black Mirror episode a couple years back.

I agree with the comment Monosterio put up above:
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner + The Stepford Wives = Get Out

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How does someone not know Key & Peele?

17. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I want to hear her to read that quote:

[​IMG]

(The movie looks good to me.)

chacha and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  18. Monosterio

I've heard of them, but I haven't seen any of their work. That's why, if you go to the start of the thread, Vince said I "buried the lead" -- the fact Jordan Peele was behind the movie meant nothing to me. It does now, though. :)

vince likes this.
  19. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

I saw it the day after it opened and I thought it was very good, me & my wife and most of the audience were sitting on the edge of our seats wondering what was going to happen next. What I found really cool was that for 3/4 of the movie, it's just the SUGGESTION that something is amiss/wrong that keeps you in suspense/scared. There isn't a bunch of flying guts, blood, etc to gross you out. When the movie ended, most of the audience applauded.

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I thought it was very well done.

The ending was great...

Old Rusty likes this.
  21. gururyan

gururyan Forum Resident

Finally got to see this last night.
    I tried to ignore the reviews, because the more a movie is hyped the harder it is to meet expectations. Add to that the political/social trends and racial climate as of late and I was struggling to keep an open mind regarding the reviews. Add to that even further, my wife had a horrible experience seeing it by herself in a sold out theater with angry people looking for a reason to act up...which they did. When the lights went down in my mostly packed theater, I took a deep breath and let it out while clearing my mind of any and all preconceived thoughts. I love movies and didn't want the surrounding drama to influence my opinion or experience.

Loved it. I found it well written, exceptionally edited, well acted, very engaging, and I would enjoy seeing it again despite knowing how it all ends. The cuts to the TSA agent/friend pulled me out of the story a little, but was needed comic relief given the racial tension. I wasn't on the edge of my seat, but there wasn't ever a lull and never a bathroom or refreshment break time. In fact, I was a little warm the entire movie but left my jacket on because there wasn't a good time to bother taking it off.

A+

PHILLYQ and RayS like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Must admit I was impressed. Liked the theme music. Set up for a sequel by the looks of it

23. alexpop

S p o i l e r

He didn't hear the auto suggested hypotonic command because he used armrest chair stuffing in his ear.
    But, couldn't do that as his hands were tied to the armrest with leather straps.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  24. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I was disappointed. The first half was ok but the second half got pretty silly. 99% at Rotten Tomatoes for this one. I'd be in the 1%.

GodShifter, Paulwalrus and Ghostworld like this.
  25. alexpop

I liked it.
    Loads of audience laughs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.