"Get Out" (2017) -- new horror film looks extremely freaky

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Kind of plays with the "Oreo Cookie" co-option fear/issue made real.
    Pretty funny in a sub-text way.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree with most people here - a very good film indeed. Although I figured out, on the surface, what was going on halfway through with all the strange behavior, I never suspected the deeper reason for it, which was pretty fantastical.

It all hung together pretty well with some genuine surprises. Both of the leads were excellent - but man, does Allison Williams have a killer smile?

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Red boxed it last night. Very good, though I suspected this was a Skeleton Key type of thing as soon as we meet the help.

4. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

It's kind of like 'Get Hard,' 'Malibu's Most Wanted' and 'Soul Man' (the one with C. Thomas Howell), but you know, the exact opposite.

Old Rusty likes this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Great movie and quite different than most.

There are some unanswered questions, though.

1) The only black guy who's left that we see is the one with the large-brimmed hat who had a swift change in personality after being photographed with a flash. The movie gives the illusion of tying the loose ends but that one isn't resolved. We don't know what happens to him.

2) We see a red box filled with pictures of other black men but we don't see those men being in the family like the others. My wife theorized that it's because of the comment mentioned by the grandfather that only recently have they made the breakthrough in the operation. So she believes the other men died during their experimentation phase. Thoughts?

3) The best friend answered the question posed by Chris ("How did you find me?") with something along the lines of "We TSA officers figure out stuff." which left me wholly unsatisfied. Throwaway line, IMHO, so I don't know why it was even included but I'm open to suggestions as to how he could've found his friend.

4) Was the idea behind unplugging his phone so it drains completely of its power that Chris wouldn't have the ability to call for help?

5) Did Rose seduce the black woman or was she merely a friend she invited over?

6) How did Jordan Peele get approved to shoot a movie like this which fits more along the context of a horror story and perhaps drama than comedy, especially when it was his directorial debut?

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get Out
    and buy it, it's that good.

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

He's still trapped in the sunken place.

They were auctioned off to other people earlier. The family has been doing this for quite awhile.

He always knew where Chris was - it wasn't like Chris was keeping any secrets from him before he left - he just thought he could get official help before he charged in. Once he realized he was on his own, he figured he might as well do it himself. His timing was convenient, granted, but it looked great for the audience to have the misdirect that they'd assume it was the police about to arrest Chris. (The BluRay has that alternate scene in the bonus features, along with a ton of improvised lines by Rod when Chris gets into his car.)

Pretty sure that was a joke at how old people don't understand and/or can't use modern technology.

I assume she seduced her.

That I don't know. 'Keanu' was presumably enough of a hit that someone thought it would be a good idea to trust him. And they were right.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

He presented a great indie horror idea to a studio (Blumhouse) known for indie horror and agreed to make it for practically no up front money (less than $5 million).

How the company behind "Get Out" landed a hit with a horror movie about race in America

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

10. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Saw this last night and loved it. Funny and creepy scary. Sure to be a classic.

Old Rusty and vince like this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just watched this loved it to death, but I was also disappointed the way it ended.
    The "procedure" was just too Frankenstein for me and, frankly, impossible. I would have preferred more brainwashing and being turned into a slave. That would have been much scarier.
    Shame though, I really would have like to have seen it get more and more sinister. I guess I'm really divided on it. But as it was written and directed by a comic, I guess that's okay and not what he intented. Maybe being able to laugh made it more bearable as a movie. But up until the silly laboratory ending, I really liked it and thought it was very well done. Looked great, too. Really popped on my screen. Arri Alexa -- nice camera! I like the lead actor, DanielKaluuya, he starred in my favorite episode of "Black Mirror" -- "Fifteen Million Credits." This almost felt like a Black Mirror episode, except for the humor. Hmm. I would certainly love to see a "director's cut" with a whole new ending!

Higlander likes this.
  12. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

VERY GOOD!!

Loved this movie, and So did my wife! That rarely happens with a "horror" movie.
    The build up was very fun and exciting and entertaining and unique.

13. Higlander

I think it would have also helped to chop that short beginning sequence, and start fresh and new, without that abduction thing.

Ghostworld likes this.
  14. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The TSA line was a joke. Many people in the US find the TSA to be a bit of a joke themselves so showing one as a highly effective law enforcement officer or detective or hero was supposed to be played for laughs.

The whole movie is really funny. I don't think any of the suggested changes people are making here would really help the movie. I just think one needs to either have a dark sense of humor or at least recognize dark humor.

vince likes this.
  15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought the same thing Ghostworld did about the " procedure" toward the end but still loved the movie. And, yeah, the opening sequence signals there's trouble ahead for the hero (you know it's not going to be all in his head), but I still liked it.

16. I finally watched this movie -it's now on HBO. It worked for me. Funny and twisted with a dash of suspense and horror. My favorite bit part player, Stephen Root, always steals every scene he's in.

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What would have some good alternative “methods?” I was thinking it was gonna be brainwashing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  18. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

It degenerates into ploddingly silly '80s horror cliches in the final third, and the TSA comic relief is overbearingly annoying, but I was with it up until then. Apparently, the ending was changed (from what we are originally led to expect) when test audiences gave it the thumbs down. Ala Night of the Living Dead, I would have preferred that the film demonstrate the courage of its convictions even if, sadly, current events in the US would have made that original conclusion entirely predictable (which is rather damning in its own right).

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

In his commentary, Peele says he changed the ending due to those "current events in the US" - he felt audiences needed something more upbeat given that environment.

Might've been the test screenings and he just wants us to think it's something else, but that's what he claims! :)

RayS likes this.
  20. I watched this one last night, without knowing anything about it other than the IMDb rating and genre. It is really good in my opinion.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm going to wager that this film will get a "Best Picture" nomination.

Leviethan and vince like this.
  22. Higlander

I am still thinking about this one, many weeks later!
    The build up, the meeting the parents, the details of the house, the yard, everything, was just so entertaining and suspenseful.

vince likes this.
  23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The first point is actually a great idea for a sequel that could be kind of a variation on The Man With Two Heads.

24. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Why is there always creepy people causing trouble? :)

25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I fully expected the predictable ending, and I was pleasantly surprised when the opposite happened. The 80s horror cliches were intentional. I actually thought it became funny in the end, like many 80s horror movies. It was written and directed by a comedian, after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.