"Get Out" (2017) -- new horror film looks extremely freaky

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Jan 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because I have nothing better to do? ;)

Holy Diver likes this.
  2. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Personally I tend to think it was more a case of poor writing, but even if we accept that the cliches towards the conclusion were intentional then the film does nothing to effectively undercut or illuminate them in any interesting manner - and so they simply remain cliches.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  3. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Uhm, I thought it was awful. I laughed at moments, I admit, but it wasn't scary in the slightest, and the ending made no sense.

I've seen worse, but this was by no means a good movie.

Silken, Tree of Life and Mainline461 like this.
  4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Will have to check it out, wonder if it is as good as this one:

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just watched it tonight on HBO and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well directed, thought the lead was great and always enjoy Allison Williams. Really fun stuff with good energy. Dug it.

Old Rusty likes this.
  6. chacha

Wow, just watched the preview on the first page and it shows pretty much the entire movie. That’s ridiculous.

7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

SPOILER

Never have I seen such a dramatic character twist as Allison Williams' in this movie.

When she tied her hair back and started choosing from the top NCAA prospects online while munching Fruit Loops, I thoroughly disliked her as much as I liked the thoughtful and loving girlfriend she had been before.

It's movie that demands a second viewing once you understand who the characters really are.

8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Listening to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack as well, with her trophies posted on the back wall. Damn she's cold.

Not sure we still needs spoilers here but posted one anyway. This was a good flick. Plot holes? Sure. And I wouldn't call it "horror," more suspense thriller than anything. Elements of Wicker Man & Body Snatchers noticed, and the acting was terrific. I didn't find the metaphor/allegory heavy-handed either. Thought about the film after watching it in a good way, which to me is the hallmark of a well made film.

Jazzmonkie, dead of night and RayS like this.
  9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'd describe it as this generation's 'Stepford Wives', except focusing on racial dynamics instead of gender roles. Does that work?

I mean, it's not strictly a comedy, but it's hard not to laugh at the barrage of microaggressions during the white people party.

Hightops and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

In the current issue of Sight And Sound magazine, which usually favours arthouse films, it was voted film of the year.

11. Bobby Buckshot

Thinking about some of the implications within the story and some questions:

1. Daughter is the honey trap whereas brother is the tracker/hunter. I didn't initially realize the purpose of the opening scene of the movie, but I think at least one purpose was to reveal it was both kids claiming victims.
    2. Both seem to relish their roles, but brother is a loose cannon. They were both brainwashed obviously, but what is the background of the grandpa as he's shown to be the cult originator?
    3. Was the dad specifically trained as a surgeon for this purpose ? Is he a legitimate surgeon to begin with? I mean, he's performing a procedure near candlelight.
    4. Both brother and sister being involved in claiming victims also means the victim list could be more substantial than revealed. These victims could have either been failures/successes and would be male and female. I'm guessing that means not everyone showed up to the cult party with their buyer. Some of the cult members/customers must buy in and just stay to themselves without attending future cult meetings.
    5. Big money involved also means high-profile cult members with significant influence within many different social and political circles, which brings me to think there could be sequels, a la the Purge movies.
    6. Did the daughter have some sort of psychic connection to grandma and grandpa or was she just calling out her expectations of their behavior at the end? I tend to think she was just predicting/calling out who could help her, but it's kind of open to interpretation since we're dealing with brain transfer - is something else implanted?
    7. Who was the actual cult leader? Seemed like a mom and dad combo, but there's potential for the daughter to be leader as well.
    8. Were mom and dad also involved in seeking potential victims?

12. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Just saw that this film has Oscar possibilities, best film and best actor ... I find that incredible. I saw this movie on release and found it a total bore. I watched it gain momentum and stay in the theaters longer than I expected figuring it caught on with youths, but Oscar consideration. Rubbish.

13. chacha

A bore? At the least, it’s completely unpredictable.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thought it was great. Loved every minute up until the end. But Oscar material. Excuse me, no.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I wouldn't say it's completely unpredictable. I pretty much figured things out about halfway through the movie, if not the exact mechanism used (which was a bit OTT). But certainly not a bore!

chacha likes this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

Like the movies nominated recently for Oscars were really that great. La La Land anyone? I'll take a movie like this over stuff like that any day.

Oatsdad and vince like this.
  17. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Hard to believe this film is up for Best picture. I watched it based on a recommendation by a co-worker. It is me or film mostly suck these days?
    I went out to hollywood back in my 20s to work there and now I'm in my 40s and I so bored with Hollywood's output.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Big budget, tent-pole films to mostly suck. Lower budget or indie films are usually better, kind of like Get Out. I liked it a lot, even with the rather implausible mechanism behind the goings on. And while I liked it, I also wouldn't have nominated it for best picture, but at least a smaller film is getting some recognition.

19. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

A watchable B movie for me , when I saw all the hype I watched it again to see what I missed. Still can't see it.

peace and love✌Dave

Silken and Tree of Life like this.
  20. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I would describe it as a watchable b-film. With a great performance by Brian Williams's daughter

21. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

This one should be classified as a W as in...

Why was it even made?

Horrible, Horrible movie and a total waste of 2 hours

GodShifter likes this.
  22. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

How did a talent like Catherine Keener fall through the cracks? How is it that she's not a major star?

Leviethan and Steve Carras like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I wouldn't call this a horrible movie, but it certainly wasn't what I was led to believe it was by multiple reviewers and friends who recommended it to me (that is, a VERY good movie). Too little of it really made much sense and the ending was predictable and unsatisfying. I cannot see any way in the world this was up for an Academy Nomination other than the feeling that it needed to be included for obvious reasons. Very disappointed with this.

Tree of Life and Beaneydave like this.
  24. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I liked "Get Out" well enough but was surprised to see it getting Oscar nods. It was good but it wasn't THAT good.

25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

They should have marketed it as a comedy. I thought it was hilarious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.